Why become a member? ×

Cables and Cables

Swijn

Only ever use OBBM, of this parish, Cables, (http://bassic-bits.co.uk/) or Award Session.

Learned a long time ago that cheap cables are a waste of money in the long run. Certain cables are way overpiced. So now only use the above mentioned as they are quality cables with quality components at a decent price. 

• Like 2

OBBM makes great cables and I highly recommend his stuff. I've also used Designacable and  Lynx Custom and been very satisfied with their work.

If I'm making my own bulk cables, I'm like most custom cable makers, Vandamme cable with Neutrik connectors.

• Like 2

if i were buying cables then i'd be using OBBM in fact i have 3 of his excellent speakon-speakon cables as i couldn't easily source the 4mm speaker cable he uses.

I make my own instrument leads as i have bought a whole drum of Klotz AC110 cable and have a good stash of neutrik jack plugs, the cables end up pretty much as the OBBM ones but with slightly less pretty soldering and i fit name labels and velcro ties.

there are 2 good reasons why people recommend OBBM, the first is that his products are very high quality and the second is that his prices are very reasonable (i've added up what it costs to build a lead and he's not making huge profits on each one) he's also a nice guy and an active member on here but that's an aside :) 

matt 

On 25/10/2018 at 11:52, BassBunny said:

Only ever use OBBM, of this parish, Cables, (http://bassic-bits.co.uk/) or Award Session.

Learned a long time ago that cheap cables are a waste of money in the long run. Certain cables are way overpiced. So now only use the above mentioned as they are quality cables with quality components at a decent price. 

This.

In my case Award Session (Cleartone) first because I knew Steward first... but I've bought from both. Not terribly often, as their stuff is good and lasts a long time ;)

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/10/2018 at 09:05, foxyFuze said:

designacable on Amazon are pretty good too - good parts and a range of colours and lengths.

I have OBBM speaker cables but for guitar leads I have them made but designacable, purely because I always have different coloured leads, red, blue, green etc so nobody I play with can ever accidentally pick up or use one of my nice cables when their crappy branded ones from the high street inevetibly die.

Top quality parts from deaignacable much like OBBM, silent neutrik with Vanne Damme cables for me.

• Like 1

I acquired a Vovox instrument cable recently from my dad who got some for work. Really like it - I did a quick A/B against a Fender, Roland and Planet Waves cables I had lying around and found it did indeed sound better. I was really surprised. And pleased!

https://www.vovox.ch/en/professional-audio/products/link/instrument-cable/

• Like 1