Why become a member? ×

Which amp? GK MB 112 200 watt or Fender Rumble 500?

Beanpole

Hi, I’m new to Basschat and am still finding my way around the site..

Basically I was all set to pull the trigger on a GK MB 112 200 watts, 14 Kgs €369 …….. and then the doubts set in.

I'm starting to compare the GK with other amps based on reviews, characteristics, reported sound quality, wattage, weight and price, just to see if there might be something else out there. Read some reviews for the Fender Rumble 500 watt bass combo with 2 X 10" speakers, 16.56 Kg, €555 and it looks very tempting but I've never heard one live.

A Luthier friend of mine reckons a bass needs a 300 watt amp minimum, as the bass sound goes everywhere, through the walls, floors etc., which explains why, when we’re approaching a venue where live music is being played, the first instrument we hear, from quite far away, is the bass. So a lot of the sound is simply lost, which adds to the argument for a more powerful amp.

Best to have it under the hood as and when it's needed i.e. low volume for Jazz, medium for Blues and access to high volume for Rock gigs. Also all the reviews talk about the warm, fat bass sound the Rumble provides, especially when the Vintage button is engaged. So it certainly sounds like a very attractive option.

Option 1: Go for the Fender Rumble 500 and have all the sound options and volume I’ll ever need, taking into account the extra weight and cost.

Or

Option 2: Go with the reliable and slightly more portable GK MB 112 with 200 watts, 14 Kgs at €369?

Thanks in advance for any advice you may be able to offer.

Edited by Beanpole
think the term 'offer' sounds more appropriate than 'provide'

I'd tell your luthier friend to stick to making things with wood.

Have you heard the GK in a live situation and did it do what you wanted it to?  Can you add a 2nd 1x12 to it if you need to?

I'd try as many rigs as you can & get the one You like the best.
It's been mentioned many times on here, but watts are not how you measure volume.  Decibels & SPL should give you a better indication.

• Like 1

I wouldn't have a worry with either of those playing a pub gig. My last band I gigged mostly with a TC 250w 1x12 combo and never ran out of power. Changed later to a TC450W head and speakers for carrying reasons. Currently playing with an ashdown 100w head and 2 1x12 speakers and wouldn't play without earplugs (or in ears, same things, better sound).

Best idea go and try one. What are you currently playing with, where will you be playing? 

• Like 1

There's a few bass players up my neck of the woods moving to the Fender Rumble 500. The combo provides 350W RMS with 2 x 10 8ohm, but you can add another 2 x 10 cab for the full 500W. Having said that the combo alone has bags of power. In fact, the Fender Rumble 500W combo will likely be my next purchase. I move my own gear and getting tired of lugging a 4 x 10" cab and head around. I'm quite sure you won't be dissapointed with it. Also, it has a line out so the 350W rms at 8 ohms is more than enough for stage volume, and you can line out through the front PA for larger venues.

• Like 1

Thanks for your all  thoughts and comments.

Rodiovox Leeds I appreciate what you're saying. Unfortunately with time and distance to the nearest music dealer being an issue, there isn't much opportunity for trying out different rigs. But maybe the sensible thing to do would be to take my time and make a bigger effort in that direction. 

Woodinblack, to follow up on your questions, I don't currently have anything and use whats available in the rehearsal room and at gigs and at home just use a small practice amp or the Vox Plug-in bass guitar amp (!). Hadn't played for years, but over the last 12 months have got back into it, hence why I  need an amp fairly soon.

Where will I be playing? I recently played a local open air rock festival and in a few weeks have the opportunity to play in a small shop for a book launch event (would like to have the amp by then if possible).

Ideally I'd like to go for a separate head and speakers but am currently on a combo budget. I live in Spain so will be paying for the amp in Euros. 

Cheers.

• Like 1

If the fat, vintage sound is what you're after, the Rumble delivers it in spades. It's also a versatile amp that can produce all sorts of sounds. I've only played through a MB a couple of times and (in my experience), it delivers the GK sound but doesn't have the versatility of the Rumble (or the power).

• Like 1

Look save your money buy an older valve amp, get it serviced it will last for years. They can be repaired no niggly micro circuit boardsor processors that are usually unreplaceable, if they go wrong, bin time for the amp. Or buy an older solid state amp, you can, I don’t recommend you try this though, drop them and the seem to carry on, again repairable. New amps sound great and are light, but ultimately like most things in life these days are disposable when they go wrong!!

• Like 1

If it was me I'd be going for the Rumble...as I used to own one and regret selling it. It's got all the features you need on it, lightweight, plenty of volume and quite simply a lovely tone. GK is good stuff, I've owned some, but on this it'd be the Fender.

• Like 2