Why become a member? ×

The Greatest Showman

xgsjx

I finally got round to watching The Greatest Showman about a month ago & it's possibly the best musical I've watched (I don't usually dig musicals).  Some great sounding bass parts in there too.

Every year, the church I go to has a musical production through December for the run up to Christmas & this year I've been asked to play bass.  3 of the songs they've chose to include are The Greatest Show, This Is Me & From Now On (all from The Greatest Showman).  I've just got round to looking at playing The Greatest Show & I have to say, it's probably one of the most fun songs to play that I've played in ages.  Nice tight thump with the kick to start with, builds with some octave & 3rd lifts & then a grooving (if predictable) chorus.  Then there's the fills in it.  They're just so satisfying for some reason.

I have to say, I find the simple & predictable arrangement makes it more fun to play as I can concentrate on being tight in the groove and nailing those runs.

Now I'm looking forward to learning the other two songs.  I've listened to them, but not played them yet.

Anyone else had a blast at any of the songs?

11 minutes ago, xgsjx said:

...Anyone else had a blast at any of the songs?

Our daughter sings in a Parisien chorale; they've just started rehearsals for putting this on next year. From the 'teaser' she sent me, it promises to be a splendid evening; their last show was tops.

This film/soundtrack haunts my dreams.

Ella is 9, She’s amazing - but my god does she LOVE this film and associated soundtrack.

there are some great bass parts but I have to say that the “too much chocolate will make you sick” analogy works here.

we went to see a local production of it and it was all programmed into a Yamaha Tyros or similar...

4660986B-79EB-4893-9B00-12DCFA02E910.jpeg

25F3EE46-CB94-441C-B843-D21842F2A4DF.jpeg

4 hours ago, paul_5 said:

Saw the film and thought the songs were dull and predictable. Maybe it’s just me though.

Not seen the film in its entirety, thankfully, but I’ve seen snippets and heard a couple of songs.  It’s not just you.  I don’t like saying negative things about anything but I really don’t like what I’ve seen; dull and predictable will do nicely.

Then again, it’s all personal taste.  If someone wants to learn those songs I’ll teach them because it means something to them and gets them into music.  Hopefully, I can help broaden their musical education as we go! 

7 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Ella is 9, She’s amazing - but my god does she LOVE this film and associated soundtrack.

My Ella is 7 and she loves the film as well. I've never seen it the whole way through, but I've probably seen every scene about 20 times, and heard the soundtrack more than 100 times. Frankly, I love it too, some great songs and some great bass parts :) 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

This film/soundtrack haunts my dreams.

there are some great bass parts but I have to say that the “too much chocolate will make you sick” analogy works here.

we went to see a local production of it and it was all programmed into a Yamaha Tyros or similar...

I don't have an Ella but my two girls (7 and 4) are similarly obsessed. More with putting on their own productions of it in the front room though with extravagant freefrom dance moves.  I won't go out of my way to watch it but next time they put it on I'll keep an ear out for the bass!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

I don't have an Ella but my two girls (7 and 4) are similarly obsessed. More with putting on their own productions of it in the front room though with extravagant freefrom dance moves.  I won't go out of my way to watch it but next time they put it on I'll keep an ear out for the bass!

Ha ha, you're not alone mate, my two (7 & 5) take 'interpretative' about as far as it can go before their dance becomes completely random movements to music :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

The era/setting and the soundtrack don’t fit together at all. Makes me feel a bit sick.

But I grin and bear it...god bless her.

Im on 3rd Daughter who loves Frozen. That film is etched onto my retinas.

Yeah - it's a mish mash, but it's enjoyable enough to watch, catchy tunes, decent actors in it too.

I could quote Frozen or Moana too. Watching the new Beauty & the Beast or any of the older animated films does my head in.