Why become a member? ×

Does a bass stand which really packs down into a gig bag but works exist?

Owen

The Hercules mini is REALLY stable actually, Its feet are wide and it holds the bass low to the ground so the stand tipping over is very unlikely. The 'pad' on the back is really grippy and I feel it's far more stable than my cheap 'cradle' style stand which supports the neck. 

I bought one for my mini bass as it fits really well (nothing else did!) but can use it with my other basses too. 

I use one of these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01BY5W692/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The legs detach from the feet and it's very light, so pretty portable.  It's also only nine quid!

I was using a Hercules mini stand which is actually okay with a Jazz, but mazdah's photo above hints at the problem I had with it at gigs with a Precision - the upturned part of the support is just where your jack plug will be, so you end up having to have the bass leaning over

I have a Cooperstand, link below. Folds up nice and small and is pretty stable when the bass is on it. I don`t really get to play many gigs where I need it as it`s usually 15min turnaround gigs, so bass is last out of the case/first in but always nice to have it just in case it`s needed.

https://www.cooperstand.com/products/ecco-g

On ‎24‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 22:28, owen said:

I went to buy a Hercules one online so that I could send it back if it was not for me and one of the reviews said "not for Jazz basses". Ho hum.

I used a Hercules mini on a Jazzmaster with no bother, it just took an extra second or two to get it to sit securely.

If you have a speaker cab covered in felt, and tall enough - try one of these
https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Markbass-Basskeeper-Bass-Guitar-Strap/BGU?origin=product-ads&campaign=PLA+Shop+-+GENERIC&adgroup=GENERIC&medium=vertical_search&network=google&merchant_id=1279443&product_id=14862d1&product_country=GB&product_partition_id=446391500132&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI3qDa3YGs3gIVEud3Ch3XcQmiEAQYASABEgJKvfD_BwE

Uses Velcro to stick to a felt covered cab, and velcro to secure the neck of the bass. Packs down really really small, and it's nice & secure. If your speaker cab is covered in tolex - perhaps try sticking a couple of velcro patches to the cab?

EDIT: Just saw the second pic in the ad, and it reminded me, it is possible to secure to the handle on some cabs too

Edited by Marc S

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/10/2018 at 10:22, ped said:

The Hercules mini is REALLY stable actually, Its feet are wide and it holds the bass low to the ground so the stand tipping over is very unlikely. The 'pad' on the back is really grippy and I feel it's far more stable than my cheap 'cradle' style stand which supports the neck. 

I bought one for my mini bass as it fits really well (nothing else did!) but can use it with my other basses too. 

Presumably by “mini bass” you mean your Wing? If so, thanks for the tip!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

Presumably by “mini bass” you mean your Wing? If so, thanks for the tip!

No worries :) should work with yours too, try it in a shop first. As mine is a single cutaway the foam block on the top of the stand fits perfectly into the carving between the neck and body

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ped said:

No worries :) should work with yours too, try it in a shop first. As mine is a single cutaway the foam block on the top of the stand fits perfectly into the carving between the neck and body

Very useful info, cheers @ped. My neck carve will be a bit different to yours since mine’s a neckthrough construction but at least the body at the strap pin end is the same as yours so I know that’ll sit fine in the Hercules.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CameronJ said:

Very useful info, cheers @ped. My neck carve will be a bit different to yours since mine’s a neckthrough construction but at least the body at the strap pin end is the same as yours so I know that’ll sit fine in the Hercules.

Can’t wait to see yours. Any idea when it’ll be ready?

13 minutes ago, ped said:

Can’t wait to see yours. Any idea when it’ll be ready?

Assuming all goes to plan, my Wing should be completed around mid-January. Can’t wait! I’ve already given Jon Shuker a heads up on my plan to install my octaver of choice into the bass - he’s totally up for it so I’m a happy man.

• Like 1

On ‎25‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 03:09, chris_b said:

After a couple of very near misses, these days I just put the bass in the gig bag when it's not being played. Safer that way.

^ this is probably your best solution...put it back in the bag during breaks.

The tri-pod stands are just an accident waiting to happen, no three legged thing where axes sit tilted is safe. Only safe(r) stands are those large touring square/rectangle that sit flat on the floor with large footprint.