Why become a member? ×

Fishman Neo D single coil measurements

bassbiscuits

Has anyone got a Fishman Neo D single coil soundhole pickup for an acoustic guitar?

If so, is it possible to measure the distance between the two screws that would hold it in place in soundhole?

I've got a guitar with an 8.5cm soundhole, and need to know if it will fit - it sounds like it could, but would be tight.

Much appreciated

Chris

36 minutes ago, pete.young said:

Ahh yeah. I've been looking at a couple of forums elsewhere and some people say they do, others say they don't. Hmm.

I need to find someone with them in stockl really don't i?

I have the humbucking version, which I imagine has much the same measurements. Have just measured the distance between the fitting screws as 78mm, if that helps.

Personally I wouldn't recommend single-coil magnetic pickups for acoustic guitars; I've had far too many experiences of them picking up too much interference to be useable.

I've got one fitted to my travel guitar, I can dig it out tomorrow evening and take some measurements, I've modified mine to get it to fit so might be able to give you the minimum sound hole diameters possible. 

Matt

• Like 1

I have a Neo D single coil installed in my Taylor. I will measure it when I get home.

Btw I did have to modify it to make it fit, but that was because it was too close to the strings - I removed the top set of cork pads and replaced them with pieces of thin (1mm?) cork sheet.

Thanks all for the input and suggestions.

I did used to have one a long time ago on another guitar, and to me it sounded quite nice and natural, for not much money. I did later swap it out for a Baggs M80 which sounded a bit OTT to me - very loud and shouty.

The Fishman Neo was a lot quieter output (got round that by running it thru a Boss EQ pedal) but is about the limit of my budget for what is essentially my back up acoustic.

But yes - any actual measurements would be great. I notice in publicity pics the p/up tends to be positioned at the top of the soundhole, where its narrower, so I'm hoping the widest part of my soundhole may yet be big enough to accomodate it.

ok, i've just had a measure and the soundhole on this guitar is 88mm, the pickup has been modded a little bit and sits slightly towards the neck

i wasn't really concerned with a pure natural acoustic tone on this guitar, i wanted a slightly raw bluesy tone, it's fitted with 13's and tuned D-D, i've got a handmade acoustic with a fantastic AER blend system in it if i need to sound pretty (a wonderful guitar but it's hard to sound bluesy with a guitar that expensive!)

according to my measurements i've cut it down to 83.4mm wide, this is about as far as i dared to go. so it will fit into your soundhole but it will take some modding and will be fiddly to fit as you will need to feed the clamps onto the back (i use a pair of angled tweezers to hold the clamps while i fit the screw

a.thumb.JPG.45e5ced8b18619b48eb77012dc344995.JPGb.thumb.JPG.ef3798396b963ab11bec371d47c19f32.JPGDSC_0715.thumb.JPG.53911146f78a7816423de5b54550d74f.JPGs.DSC_0715.thumb.JPG.53911146f78a7816423de5b54550d74f.JPG

Matt

DSC_0716.JPG