Why become a member? ×

Hello from Denmark!

Emil Schnell

Hello!

I'm new to this community and I've never tried this before. Im kinda new to bass as well (been playing for two years very on and off on a very crappy bass!). I would like some good tips on how to upgrade my gear and get better but I'm a bit of a noob tbh.

First of all I was looking forwards to buying a new bass. I was thinking something like an Ibanez sr300 or an Yamaha trbx300 or 500, since they are relatively cheap and good quality and very all around in sound and tone (from what I've heard and seen on the internet that is) so I can explore a style that I prefer and I just really like the design of those models (I'm a design student so aesthetics matters as well, at least for me) 

Anyway, I was wondering which experiences people had in here and perhaps some advise for a (basically) beginner :))

Edited by Emil Schnell
  • Like 2

Good evening, Emil, and ...

JziD0WZ.gif

Plenty to read and amuse you here, and lots to learn and share.

My top tip concerning learning the bass would be to obtain this book ...

Hal Leonard Electric Bass Method - Complete Edition

Which covers everything, from real beginner to very competent, in sound, steady, coherent stages. It can be acquired second-hand at a stupidly low price; the ring binding makes it easy to lie flat, either on a desk or table, or on a music stand. Go for a change of bass if you want, but progress will be made through this method, whatever bass you play. Recommended. Hope this helps. B|

Welcome! 

I'd just add to the good advice above, *your* bass when you find it will have the right look and sound but also the right shape and fit. The one that, as soon as you pick it up, instantly feels like an optional body part will be the one you never want to put down. 

Let us know how you get on!

5 hours ago, josie said:

7 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Good evening, Emil, and ...

JziD0WZ.gif

Plenty to read and amuse you here, and lots to learn and share.

My top tip concerning learning the bass would be to obtain this book ...

Hal Leonard Electric Bass Method - Complete Edition

Which covers everything, from real beginner to very competent, in sound, steady, coherent stages. It can be acquired second-hand at a stupidly low price; the ring binding makes it easy to lie flat, either on a desk or table, or on a music stand. Go for a change of bass if you want, but progress will be made through this method, whatever bass you play. Recommended. Hope this helps. B|

I will definetly check it out and thanks for the advise :)

8 hours ago, ped said:

Welcome and good choice of basses too. Try and play them if you can but otherwise go for what you like the look of and enjoy it. 

I definetly will, but there's sadly not many shops around. Most of the ones i've been to are very small and have a little selection of basses and often not the type im looking for but there is still somewhere I haven't been yet so I'm not losing Hope :))

1 hour ago, Emil Schnell said:

I definetly will, but there's sadly not many shops around. Most of the ones i've been to are very small and have a little selection of basses and often not the type im looking for but there is still somewhere I haven't been yet so I'm not losing Hope :))

Well, don’t worry - just jump in and buy the one you like the look of. Starter basses are so good these days you can’t really go wrong.