Why become a member? ×

Lighter feeling strings?

therealting

I’d like to make my Eminence EUB easier to play - the action is pretty low but the strings feel stiffer to me than they do on my acoustic double bass.

Would I be right in thinking these are D’Addario Helicore Hybrids? Any suggestions on lower tension strings to try?

A1BAAB86-9A2F-4A1D-A773-5213953EBF32.jpeg

Of all the different strings I've used on my Eminence, these all felt lighter than the stock Helicore hybrid/orchestral set:

Velvet Garbos

Velvet Blues

Innovation Super Silvers 

Preston Nylon wound

Thomastik spiricore weich

Thomastik Superflexibles

Evah Pirazzi weich.

On 23/10/2018 at 19:47, TheRev said:

Of all the different strings I've used on my Eminence, these all felt lighter than the stock Helicore hybrid/orchestral set:

Velvet Garbos

Velvet Blues

Innovation Super Silvers 

Preston Nylon wound

Thomastik Superflexibles

Evah Pirazzi weich.

Aha, someone who has tried a bunch! Which were your favourites? I do play orchestral double bass and have had lessons, but am mainly an electric player so would rather take it easy on the RSI and let the amp do the work when possible. 

On 23/10/2018 at 19:47, TheRev said:

Velvet Garbos

Velvet Blues

Innovation Super Silvers 

Preston Nylon wound

Thomastik Superflexibles

Evah Pirazzi weich.

Strewth mate! How did you manage to go through seven sets of strings on one DB?

I've had the same Silver Slaps on mine for six years ... they were on there when I bought it from Clarky. 9_9

31 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Strewth mate! How did you manage to go through seven sets of strings on one DB?

I've had the same Silver Slaps on mine for six years ... they were on there when I bought it from Clarky. 9_9

Easy, a combination of money and unrealistic expectations.

• Haha 3

Broadly speaking it's like tuning your current strings down a tone. 

Solo strings are engineered to give you a similar feeling string when tuned a tone above EADG. 

So to give you an idea if the feel is where you want to go try tuning down a tone (DGCF) and it will give you a ball park idea. 

Then come buy these strings off me ;)

Thanks guys. Wondered if you’d know what strings these are on my acoustic upright. The colours suggest D’Addario Prelude from Bob Gollihur’s site, but I’m not sure if these are metal stranded - does that look like synthetic gut at the tailpiece to you?

I might actually swap the strings over on them to see how they feel. 

6F5B82BD-6B71-471E-837C-ABC8AE23EFEC.jpeg

5DD724C5-20A3-48A1-AEA6-BA54A0AA464F.jpeg

Edited by therealting

I emailed Gollihur and they say they’ve never seen them before! Solid core with a knot, steel wrap... their guess is an early version or prototype of Innovation Honeys.

I played my upright acoustically yesterday with a mid-size jazz band and struggled to pull volume out of it during faster passages. Might have to work on that technique.

In the meantime of purchased @spencer.b’s set of Cordes Lambert GT-47s to try on the Eminence, curious to see what they are like. 

My Cordes Lamberts arrived today, so I immediately tried to string up my Eminence with them and found that they are too big for the tuning machines 😕

What I did do was swap the Helicore Hybrids on my acoustic with the mystery synthetics on the Eminence... and it appears to have brought both to life and made both easier to play. Very peculiar! Will keep an eye on this space obviously, but just might do the job for now...

• 3 months later...