Why become a member? ×

Tinnitus

Kevin Dean

Yup, had tinnitus for years, all my own fault due to years of bands & gigs without earplugs, though a bang on the head didn't help it either.

IMO, it's more about managing it than anything, so I've been using ER20's for a good few years now. They're great because they don't kill any frequencies, just reduce the volume. Use them for gigs (attending - we haven't played any yet!) and rehearsals. For any other situations where I need hearing protection (out on the bike, mowing the lawn, etc.), I use some reusable, industrial 3M plugs rated at around 33dB attenuation.

I was lucky, sort of, that from 21 to 35 I had my wilderness years where I stopped playing and gigging. Probably would have done untold damage to my hearing in that time, judging by my peers.

Picked things up again in 2012 and have been gigging regularly with a band with E-drums and a guitarist who goes straight in to the desk. Minimal stage volume and all our rehearsals are similarly painless. 

I was also in a band who rehearsed in a soundproofed garage where the guitarists had 4x12s and with a big hitting drummer. It was insanely loud and I started using earplugs from the second rehearsal onwards. 

I've learnt to keep always have a set of earplugs in the back pocket even if I don't think I'll need it. We did a gig last year where we were using the house pa and some kind soul decided to jack up the volume mid set. I was right underneath one of the mains and had ringing for days. Never again! 

On 23/10/2018 at 00:04, steantval said:

I’m seriously considering purchasing some ACS Custom earplugs, not sure which ones to go for, it would be either the 17,26 or 27.

Any advice would be welcome please.

I have the ACS Pro 17s. 

For a while I preferred the Isolate earplugs. They cut a LOT of noise, but I could hear myself better. However, they do isolate you a little too much. The ACS 17s seem perfect for me. I'd start with those, you can always get different filters afterwards, but higher than 17 is going to be quite isolating.

13 hours ago, Bolo said:

An alternative, though expensive, could be etymotic active earplugs. 

(Not affiliated)

https://www.etymotic.com/consumer/hearing-protection/mp915.html

I've always wondered about these... but given the ACS Live I have, I am concerned that they could cope with high SPLs where bass is involved. I'd still want to be able to hear myself without distortion. Also, I'm not sure they would sit in my ears that comfortably - the fact that universals keep popping out of my ears pushed me down the custom fit route.

The correct reply to this topic is obviously "pardon"!!! 

On a serious note I have just started playing again semi seriously at the age of 49. I have had two lots of ear surgery on one ear for cholesteotoma, the most recent 6 months ago. 

I didn't play in any loud bands in my 20s but did spend an inordinate amount of time clubbing and also had an unfortunate incident with a firework with a very short fuse in China. 

So I have tinnitus in one ear though my actual hearing is ok. 

Before I start gigging I want to be prepared. Looks like moulded 17db plugs from acs or equivalent might be a good start? 

Custom molded with ER15 filters for the.  I also have ER20 filters for my motorbike. They both work well and let me hear the music  clearly but at a much reduced volume (I listen to music through s headset on my bike). Ok I'm a bit detached but I can hear everything so I'm happy. The Isolates didn't do it for me. 

I have mild tinnitus in my left ear due to standing next to the drums for years. It's manageable but almost always there in the background.  My hearing has deteriorated and I wear hearing aids.

IMG_0008.JPG

Heres my plugs - a bit of a rare beast on these shores. These are 64 Audio's plugs with the Apex filters... which I have to say, are blooming brilliant. Not a cheap option though! in the picture, these are total blocks... but I currently run them with the -15dB filter... which for me, is just perfect. I don't play in any particularly loud bands - and most of the time I'm on inears. These tend to come out for dep gigs that don't enable me to run inears... but I also have these in permanently at gigs just to kill the overall SPL. Discos and the like can take their toll!

Just ordered a set of ACS Pro 17’s, appointment booked next Friday at Boots Hearing Care next Friday to get the impressions done.

The lady at Boots asked if I wanted a free hearing test at the same time, I thought I might as well, but pretty scared what the results will be, hearing has definitely suffered through riding motorcycles and playing in loud rock bands for decades.

• Like 1

Welcome to the club. You are doing the right thing.  I went down the NHS route with my hearing test / hearing aids and earplugs.  I have the molded ones but with the Elacin filters which are the same as the ACS. I still ride motorbikes and have found a decent adjustable touring screen really cuts down on wind noise which can get too much, even with earplugs. 

9 hours ago, mep said:

Welcome to the club. You are doing the right thing.  I went down the NHS route with my hearing test / hearing aids and earplugs.  I have the molded ones but with the Elacin filters which are the same as the ACS. I still ride motorbikes and have found a decent adjustable touring screen really cuts down on wind noise which can get too much, even with earplugs. 

Can you get earplugs on the NHS? or have I misread it, I too have got NHS hearing aids, I've just changed to the latest ones, a big improvement, not nearly as harsh sounding as my old ones

8 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

Can you get earplugs on the NHS? or have I misread it, I too have got NHS hearing aids, I've just changed to the latest ones, a big improvement, not nearly as harsh sounding as my old ones

You can through the audiology department. First I went for a hearing test and free hearing aids and batteries. The earplugs cost me around £160.

• Like 1

ACS 17s user here! There are many downsides to using ear plugs, and only one upside. Unfortunately, the one upside easily trumps all the downsides :(

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned - The thumping in the head when you walk or tap your feet - drives me mad!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, SteveK said:

ACS 17s user here! There are many downsides to using ear plugs, and only one upside. Unfortunately, the one upside easily trumps all the downsides :(

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned - The thumping in the head when you walk or tap your feet - drives me mad!

what? 👀

I really don't know what you're talking about.

On 27/10/2018 at 12:07, mcnach said:

what? 👀

I really don't know what you're talking about.

Ok, this (and the fact no one else mentions it) has got me thinking that perhaps my plugs are not working as they should.

Would the good BC folk that use ear plugs do me a favour? Put on some firm soled shoes or boots (not the soft, springy soled trainer types), put in your plugs, and take a few steps on a hard floor. Can you hear a dull, but very noticeable, thumping in your head with every step?

If this is something that shouldn't happen, and I can elliminate it (new moulds perhaps), that would be a serious result :)

49 minutes ago, SteveK said:

Ok, this (and the fact no one else mentions it) has got me thinking that perhaps my plugs are not working as they should.

Would the good BC folk that use ear plugs do me a favour? Put on some firm soled shoes or boots (not the soft, springy soled trainer types), put in your plugs, and take a few steps on a hard floor. Can you hear a dull, but very noticeable, thumping in your head with every step?

If this is something that shouldn't happen, and I can elliminate it (new moulds perhaps), that would be a serious result :)

I think that what you are experiencing is normal - certainly I have the same experience.

When I got my plugs I went to an audiologist who tested my hearing in a proper soundproof booth, both with regular headphones, and also with a device that tested hearing via direct bone conduction. Basically the thumping noise is being transmitted through your skeleton, but isn't attenuated by your plugs (which only attenuate air conducted sounds) and because the conducted sound hasn't been attenuated at all it is more noticeable, rather than having suddenly appeared (like bumping a fader 25dB on an instrument in a mix might take it from in the background to in your face)

Edited by SubsonicSimpleton
spelling
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SteveK said:

I can't say I've noticed that effect, not even with the Isolates (which isolate a LOT and leave pretty much just bone conduction as the main way to get sounds to you, although the foam does allow for some extra treble in)... but all my shoes/boots are pretty flexible and I don't have a heavy stomping gait (I'm pretty light at 70Kg too)... 

I can't imagine anything 'wrong' with the plugs could produce that effect... but if my sinuses were blocked I imagine I'd 'hear' a lot more my 'internal head' noises, and maybe that can include vibrations from walking? I do not know.

My tinnitus has been pretty constant over the last 20 years or so, ever since I first realised I had it (I put some earplugs in for the first time ever and realised that the whistle I thought was coming from the telly was inside my head). Since then, I've worn earplugs every time I've ridden the bike, but not for rehearsals or gigs with any bands. I only notice it when someone mentions tinnitus, in fact. Bah.

• Like 1

I have the same problem tauzero.

The brain is very good at psychologically blocking out tinnitus but the moment you think about it it re-appears.

Unfortunately I also have rhinitis which causes block sinuses and extenuates the tinnitus when it kicks in. The morning is the worst as I have to get my ears to pop before it clears.

• Like 1