Why become a member? ×

NBD - Completing my Unholy Trinity.

Painy

I've anyways thought of the Holy Trinity of bass as being Fender Precision, Fender Jazz and Musicman Stingray (Honorable mention to Saint Gibson of Thunderbird). 

Today's new arrival has completed what I'm now thinking of as my UNholy Trinity. 

Unholy? Well firstly - as you might notice - they're all five strings. Secondly because the Precision is a (much modified) Squier rather than an actual Fender, the Jazz is a real (albeit Chinese made) Fender but has coil tappable Humbuckers rather than the traditional single coils and now the newest addition is a Sterling by Musicman Ray CA25. 

Anyway, not had much time with it yet other than to give it a good set-up with a nice low action and to temporarily stick a bit of black adhesive vinyl over the (in my opinion) cheap looking white scratchplate but so far it's looking good. Sounds like a Stingray. Plays nicely. Looks pretty good to me. Now looking forward to giving it a run out at Saturday night's gig. 

Also, any help choosing between these three scratchplate materials I've narrowed it down to to permanently replace the white plate with would be appreciated. 🙂

IMG_20181022_180130.jpg

2018-10-22_13.28.36.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Cosmo Valdemar said:

I'd stick with the white one! Like John Deacon's.

As much as I'm a fan of John Deacon (and Queen in general) there's something about a plain white scratchplate that always makes me think a guitar looks kinda cheap - like it's just been cut out of an old ice-cream tub. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, therealting said:

Those Modern Player Jazzes are great aren’t they? I had one with a J Retro Deluxe that I only sold to upgrade to a Dingwall Super J as it was too heavy for me. I had a tort guard on it, was a beautiful thing. 

Yeah it's nice to play and plenty of tones available from the coil-taps. I did have to shim the neck on mine though to get the action down as even with the g string saddle bottomed out it still wasn't low enough for me (although I do use an extremely low action). 

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Jono Bolton said:

I'd go for no guard, assuming everything looks ok underneath; otherwise, a black guard.

Unfortunately the pickup routing isn't great under there.

Also, the fact that I actually really like oval guard is one of the main reasons I went for the Ray25CA rather than the normal Ray25 or 35 with the teardrop guard. 

Edited by Painy

1 hour ago, Painy said:

Unfortunately the pickup routing isn't great under there.

Also, the fact that I actually really like oval guard is one of the main reasons I went for the Ray25CA rather than the normal Ray25 or 35 with the teardrop guard. 

I had no idea that there were different shaped guards. Stingrays - and most MMs - aren't really my cup of tea. Disappointing about the routing though, it's always nice to have the option to take the guard off.

• 2 weeks later...