Why become a member? ×

History is written by the victors.

ianrendall

8 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

I gave you a sensible response! (And a picture)

Yes you did. But I feel it may be time for me to hang up the bass. I’m clearly too daft to write what I thought was an interesting topic without thinking through every pedantic comment that may come up. Maybe I should have said 1957, or mentioned Rickenbacker, maybe even Hofner, but I assumed people might get the general idea as to what I was interested in discussing. Oh well. Live and learn I suppose 😁

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ianrendall said:

Yes you did. But I feel it may be time for me to hang up the bass. I’m clearly too daft to write what I thought was an interesting topic without thinking through every pedantic comment that may come up. Maybe I should have said 1957, or mentioned Rickenbacker, maybe even Hofner, but I assumed people might get the general idea as to what I was interested in discussing. Oh well. Live and learn I suppose 😁

Not at all. It’s a good question to ask why the Precision is so ubiquitous. 

My opinion is not because it was First (because it wasn’t) but because of a unique formula of playability, sound, robustness and reputation

3 minutes ago, ianrendall said:

Where else would you see a giraffe in a necktie?

2 minutes ago, ianrendall said:

Apologies, it is an interesting thread, I was just being silly.

One of the reasons that the Fender P is so ubiquitous and so associated with popular music could be its use by players like Carole Kaye of The Wrecking Crew who is reputed to have played on so many pop hits.

Another reason could be Fender's mass production and market position in the '50s &' 60s.

3 minutes ago, ianrendall said:

Sorry - I engaged facetious mode the second I joined in. I’m immature and it infuriates my wife.

I think Ergonomically the P was better than the tutmarc and the scale length and string spacing allowed for better articulation and consistent manufacturing meant they could pick up any old fender bass and go a gig...the electric bass was referred to as “the fender bass” to distinguish it from the “fiddle bass”.

of course @BigRedX reliably informs us that Fenders are “useless” as well as ugly and there are much better basses available from other builders.

Again, i’ll pull the analogy of the Model T Ford - it wasn’t the first car made, wasn’t the best car made, and has been far surpassed since...but it set a benchmark for car manufacturing.

I think it was a great start, and even more so when in 57 the Fender company addressed some of the design “flaws” with a redesign such as contouring etc.

I think the fact a hell of a lot of us are still playing them, the vintage market sees prices continue to rise...we all play reissues, clones and “super Fenders” like Sadowsky/Lull - although there are “better” basses available, Fender still seem to do alright.

Again - not a personal dig at anyone, just an observation...

I assume the same reason the Ford Model T became the 'PBass' of cars so to speak. Not the first, not necessarily the best, but maybe it just did what it was supposed to, reliably, and at a reasonable price. The 'everymans' bass guitar. 

2 minutes ago, Maude said:

I assume the same reason the Ford Model T became the 'PBass' of cars so to speak. Not the first, not necessarily the best, but maybe it just did what it was supposed to, reliably, and at a reasonable price. The 'everymans' bass guitar. 

That’s what I said...😉