Why become a member? ×

The unexplainable stupidity of being a bass player

la bam

11 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

I’ve gone from Lightweight Ashdown rig (800w and compact 210/115 which was by far and away the best rig I’ve had in years - and because I’m not gigging I’ve bought a huge heavy Hughes and Kettner combo.

A big heavy rig for home, and lightweight rig for gigging :) love it!

I started with an Ashdown Mag 300, which was just about portable but not loud enough. Bought a Trace 4x10 combo which although weighing 4 metric tonnes, was louder and actually much more practical - wheels on the bottom turned it into a trolley for everyone else’s crap to be loaded in on. Bought a Barefaced Compact and a TecAmp Puma so I could be portable, but the TecAmp wasn’t longed for this workd and developed a fault. Replaced it with an LM3. Barefaced didn’t do it for me, so I sold it and bought a 4x10 SVT HE. Now I’m looking to go full valve...

In between, I’ve kept a couple of TC RS112s to run the LM3, but I much prefer heavy stuff. Perhaps I’m into pain? Also, big heavy stuff is pleasingly cheap at the minute! 

Most of my stuff is lightweight now, having had the usual Ampeg 2x210, Aguilar 2x12, Trace 15s etc over the years. I used a Trace 4x10 AH150 combo in the early 90s and refurbished another one 2 years ago - I couldn't lift it! Had to go.

The question that springs to mind is - Why is it so important to have to bring all your gear in one load from the car these days? Is it so important that you don't have to go to the car even once more for a cab or your bass, mic stand, leads etc?  It now seems to be a yardstick by which many measure the 'lightweight' setup.(Very prevalent on another Bass site). I can understand this if you use public transport, but if you drive yourself?

BTW, this is a genuine question - not looking to criticise anyone. In my own case, I carry a Markbass 121H combo, double gig bag, mic stand, leads bag, spare Markbass F1 head in a laptop bag, and a 12 EV active monitor. That's not too bad in my book and suits me and the band setup that I'm in. I'm 57. 

BTW, I'm a big fan of the capability of new neo drivers. It's a revelation in bass capability. 

On 23/10/2018 at 01:22, Newfoundfreedom said:

Do guitarists go through all this sh#t?

Ours does, he's always changing something.

Fundamentally, he and anybody else who changes gear regularly thinks the perfect sound is just round the corner, it never is.

The number one rule about gear is, it nearly always sounds better when someone else is playing with it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 22/10/2018 at 19:15, Merton said:

Yup.

Ove done similar things. It’s just the way it goes.

My latest idea is to sell the greatest cab I’ve ever own (3 times at that!) just because I fancy some tens instead of a single 12. Head -> wall.

Remember I still have the two vintage style Rm-110 cabs :D

For me, the need for lighter more portable gear is partly age (not just health wise, but I’ve been shifting gear for a long time now, it gets dull!) but also the increasing hassle of getting a vehicle close to venues, loading out through drunk crowds etc.  I’m self employed, work for a lot of different people, so I’m expected to be there on time, set up and ready...however much city traffic/motorway problems/parking restrictions get in the way.  Lighter and smaller gear gets the job done a lot easier most of the time.   If I was always arriving in a van with a band, I would use heavier stuff 😜

Well ......... a last minute bit of luck today.

Looking for a smallish cab for a small set up (if i had to travel in a car etc) i managed to win an Ashdown RM212 for a great price. 

Now, these look very lightweight to me ......... but theyre not. Theyre well built i must say.

Sounds good on first play in the house. Although not that much smaller than my 6x10.

Good to see the return of no wheels for transportation and a welcome hello again to the side handles which help remove the skin from your knuckles when going through doorways!

So, ive now got 2 very capable set ups, and im very happy with them .......... lets see how long before the next swap!

12 hours ago, LennyP said:

The question that springs to mind is - Why is it so important to have to bring all your gear in one load from the car these days?

I expect it's mostly convenience for lots of people.

For me it's also about security on the load out. I feel there's less chance of anything being nicked if I'm carrying it all out in one go. Maybe I'm paranoid.

Edited by rOB

I consider myself to be doing well if I need fewer than four trips from car to venue and venue to car before and after each gig. Only reason for wanting to be able to carry everything at once is if you are playing in a big city centre and can't park anywhere near the venue.