Why become a member? ×

Alternative to Squier VM?

Guest Marcoelwray

Guest Marcoelwray

Hi folks,

I'm looking in a middle term to invest very moderatly in a fretless bass, 4 string, Jazz style. I know that Squier's are a good deal, but I don't know any good alternatives... There is Sire, but it's a bit too electronic to my tastes (I prefer a passive one, in worst case I'll add a preamp myself)... Any toughts?

Cheers

Marco

I used to have a VM fretless Jazz, and it was an amazing bass for the money. Actually, I now have an MIJ Fender J fretless, which is also lovely
The Fender cost considerably more than the Squier (obviously) but IMO, it isn't 2 or 3 times better (not that I'm now complaining about the Fender - I'm keeping it, it's my "forever" fretless)
I must admit, there have been times when I wish I'd kept the Squier - it was rather good

Re Sire, I only recently tried one (admittedly a fretted version) and was blown away by the quality of build, especially given the 2nd hand prices I've seen some of them go for. So my only other suggestion was to maybe swap the electrics on a Sire - possibly with some second-hand passive pickups + circuitry. Then again, that may add some further cost into the equation.....

IMHO, a decent 2nd hand Squier VM is the best option I've seen. Again, you could upgrade the stock pickups (though the ones in mine were OK)
Let us know what you decide, and good luck with your search

EDIT: As ezbass suggests above, the Vintage fretless is another option. I did try a fretless one, and was impressed - though I do recall it being quite heavy compared to the Squier

Edited by Marc S
  • Like 1

I had a Vintage Icon fretless for a while - as Marc S notes - it was quite heavy, it sounded great though. The thing that was really rubbish though was the relicing - it was awful and made the bass look and feel cheap, which was a real shame as everything else about it was very good.

Guest Marcoelwray

Thanks folks

I actually have a Vintage Icon, but the finish is awful, I had to remove the plastic fretlines because it was moving, I don't really like the sound of the pickups, neck is ok and playability also.

I am still hesitating between the Squier and the Sire... I have to admit that I don't like Sire basses because it's "hype" to have one, and I never heard bad feedbacks about the VM's... (And I refuse to pay for a Fender) 

I'm not really in a hurry, I'm enjoying the Vintage but it also has a defect machine head... I think it's really too expensive for the quality you get.

1 hour ago, anzoid said:

I had a Vintage Icon fretless for a while - as Marc S notes - it was quite heavy, it sounded great though. The thing that was really rubbish though was the relicing - it was awful and made the bass look and feel cheap, which was a real shame as everything else about it was very good.

Yes the Vintage quite surprised me in its' quality and playability / comfort I must say
As anzoid says, the relicing wasn't the best - though I didn't think it was rubbish - just not as good / convincing as the Roadworn Jazz
Again though, this may depend on whether you like road-wear / relicing anyway

I think for the money (especially a decent 2nd hand price) I'd be prepared to live with the relicing on the Vinatge - if I could live with the weight, what with my ageing shoulders ;)

I think all the "hype" that has surrounded Sire basses may just be down to the fact that they really are pretty good.
To me, the fit, finish, quality of parts, and construction, the great feel and playability were very impressive
Although, it would seem a shame to buy one and then take out all the electrics if you don't like the sound.... perhaps this is not so bad if you have a buyer for the Sire pickups / electrics and already have some replacements to hand

EDIT: If I didn't already have a great Jazz, I'd now seriously consider a Sire as an alternative to buying a more expensive Fender

Edited by Marc S

I had a Harley Benton sunburst fretless jazz and it was brilliant for my needs. It was well made (tighter neck pocket than an old USA Fender I owned once) had good pickups and was just pure joy to play, especially when it only cost me £125. I sold it recently but there is one second-hand on here for under £100. The only reason I sold it was that I no longer have any application for it with various bands folding and taking breaks. My aim is still to replace it with a Harley Benton Precision.

Guest Marcoelwray

I'm on a Sire V7 fretless, for 300€ so something like 275£ I think, it's totally mint, and it looks nice.

I'll try it tonight, I'll keep you aware of what happens :D 

How about a LTD (ESP) , mine was £100 second hand.  It's a PJ configuration with a lovely thin neck (@38mm,  24 fretmarkers), the playability of which is on a par with my Squier PJ and Ibanez.   It's  great to play, and it has a much better finish/quality than the Squier

Fair bit of MWAAH (or whatever that fretless sound is) using flat wounds and well worth the money.  

Guest Marcoelwray

I have the Sire, it's done.

What I don't like right now: gloss finish on the neck and on the fretboard. Pickups are not really alive. Preamp is too much for me

What I like: finish is outstanding for 300, neck is not thin compared to my former Geddy Lee Japan (was too thin for me), hardware is globally correct.

And it's not mint, it's new. I didn't even know if the guy played it twice.

If anyone is interested, I'm going to put all the electronic part (pickup's and preamp) to trade for passive setup with more coloured pickups.

I'll let you know if I could find happiness in playing that axe.

Cheers

Guest Marcoelwray

SO far so good, a shame that the V7 has a really bad routing on the (hidden) neck pickup.

I put roundwounds on it, sounds already better. the neck pickup isn't so bad, good J sound but the bridge one is still awful to my ears. I can live with the gloss finish on the neck (both sides).

Guest Marcoelwray
19 minutes ago, timhiggins said:

Someone on here was after a sire pre amp the other day i think it was bigrob ...

i love my v7 what didnt you like about the sound Marco ? 

I spoke about that above...

On my basses it's mainly Warwick Black Label. Cheap, stainless, good manufacturing.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...