Why become a member? ×

Bugera Veyron 1001 series "2000W" amps

Al Krow

The difference of mid centre points in a full band context is going to be pretty subtle: I personally set and leave the mids at 450 Hz - that's a good centre point for me based on previous experience. It's more the interaction of the bass and mid volumes that I'll be focussing on.

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

The difference of mid centre points in a full band context is going to be pretty subtle: I personally set and leave the mids at 450 Hz - that's a good centre point for me based on previous experience. It's more the interaction of the bass and mid volumes that I'll be focussing on.

Could be - but it’s a different bass/amp combo, they possibly interact differently, may require a different tweak to the usual - what’s the worse can happen on a gig - you go from what you described as a boxy sound to another not perfect sound or a better one?!!!🤘🏾

I would also tweak the thought process on mids a little personally - scooping/altering etc at the right point is exactly what is needed in a band context - it’s where all instruments, voices etc. Are battling 

Edited by Cuzzie

On 19/09/2021 at 19:47, Al Krow said:

Question to fellow 1001M/T owners - have any of you chaps managed to suss out what the bass and treble EQ centre points are on the amp? Couldn't find any clues in the manual on this.

The eq selector looks like it’s based on an Ampeg 5 way selector - the listed frequencies look familiar. I know not all Ampegs have the same eq switches but I’m pretty confident that’s where they set them on the 5 ways on their amps and preamps that I’ve had experience with. Also features the Ultra High and Ultra Low buttons. The T model does appear more BG like but the M controls do seem

Ampeg inspired.  

It’d be fair to assume the Bass and Treble are set to an Ampeg spec of 40Hz/4kHz (like Fender) but honestly it won’t really matter as they’re fixed unless you’re boosting them loads

- the biggest impact will be where you set the mid switch and by how much you boost or cut to get your sound sitting in/cutting through the mix. If it’s based on the Ampeg amps it might be worth knowing that they have a +10dB  boost/-20dB cut on some of their “Pro” heads.

As an aside if you’re boosting 220Hz and switch the dial to 800Hz it should be very apparent in a band mix or bedroom as it is not a subtle shift! That is unless you leave the mid volume at unity gain. Moving the selector but not actually boosting any or enough dB will likely be too subtle and even a bit pointless as it won’t be having a great impact and certainly nothing at the volume of a gig with ear plugs. 
Just apply the eq’ing basics and it’ll all fall into place pretty quickly and self evidently.

I had my first gig back a few weeks ago. New to me bass, not my own amp with no idea where the eq points were, open air venue, hadn’t had a rehearsal or gig in 18 months and it was our dep fiddle player who I’ve not gigged with in about 2 years - she has her own way of doing some of the songs and does a couple which we only play with her😳

Just knowing what type of sound I like and a bit of educated guesswork and lo and behold It was grand😁 

Edited by krispn

23 minutes ago, krispn said:

The eq selector looks like it’s based on an Ampeg 5 way selector - the listed frequencies look familiar. I know not all Ampegs have the same eq switches but I’m pretty confident that’s where they set them on the 5 ways on their amps and preamps that I’ve had experience with. 

It’d be fair to assume the Bass and Treble are set to an Ampeg spec of 40Hz/4kHz (like Fender) but honestly it won’t really matter as they’re fixed unless you’re boosting them loads

- the biggest impact will be where you set the mid switch and by how much you boost or cut to get your sound sitting in/cutting through the mix. If it’s based on the Ampeg amps it might be worth knowing that they have a +10dB  boost/-20dB cut on some of their “Pro” heads.

As an aside if you’re boosting 220Hz and switch the dial to 800Hz it should be very apparent in a band mix or bedroom as it is not a subtle shift! That is unless you leave the mid volume at unity gain. Moving the selector but not actually boosting any or enough dB will likely be too subtle and even a bit pointless as it won’t be having a great impact and certainly nothing at the volume of a gig with ear plugs. 
Just apply the eq’ing basics and it’ll all fall into place pretty quickly and self evidently.

I had my first gig back a few weeks ago. New to me bass, not my own amp with no idea where the eq points were, open air venue, hadn’t had a rehearsal or gig in 18 months and it was our dep fiddle player who I’ve not gigged with in about 2 years - she has her own way of doing some of the songs and does a couple which we only play with her😳

Just knowing what type of sound I like and a bit of educated guesswork and lo and behold It was grand😁 

My guess is that the unit is actually a clone of the Genz Benz Streamliner 900 rather than an Ampeg - given the design clues in terms of front panel look and also layout of the knobs which pretty much mirror the Streamliner's. If it is, that's quite a pedigree unit it's been modelled on (I'm basing that on the  huge amount of love that unit got on bass forums, particularly BC).

If it is a faithful Streamliner clone then the bass centre will be set at a more useful 55 Hz rather than a too low 40 Hz, but the 4KHz for the treble would still be as you suggested.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Al Krow said:

My guess is that the unit is actually a clone of the Genz Benz Streamliner 900 rather than an Ampeg - given the design clues in terms of front panel look and also layout of the knobs which pretty much mirror the Streamliner's. If it is, that's quite a pedigree unit it's been modelled on (I'm basing that on the  huge amount of love that unit got on bass forums, particularly BC).

If it is a faithful Streamliner clone then the bass centre will be set at a more useful 55 Hz rather than a too low 40 Hz, but the 4KHz for the treble would still be as you suggested.

It does have the GB vibe about it doesn’t it! I can only comment on the mid selector and the frequencies are definitely a nod to Ampeg - The eq advice above still stands in relation to the mid selector so hopefully it’s useful to someone. Give it a try next time you’re out and let us know how you get on! 

Edited by krispn

To be honest, all of the above goes totally over my head. 

I plug my bass in, and I play, and a noise like a bass comes out. I twiddle with the mids and play, and a noise like a bass comes out. 

I can hear a subtle difference, but I've no idea how you would tailor that to go with what the rest of the band is doing. I just don't hear "frequencies" like some people on here seem to be able to do. I have pretty much everything set on 12 o'clock and I play. I can twiddle for hours but all I do is drive myself mad. Except from the extremes, nothing sounds particularly better or worse, just different, and after a while I lose the will to live, put everything back at 12 o'clock and crack on. 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

To be honest, all of the above goes totally over my head. 

I plug my bass in, and I play, and a noise like a bass comes out. I twiddle with the mids and play, and a noise like a bass comes out. 

I can hear a subtle difference, but I've no idea how you would tailor that to go with what the rest of the band is doing. I just don't hear "frequencies" like some people on here seem to be able to do. I have pretty much everything set on 12 o'clock and I play. I can twiddle for hours but all I do is drive myself mad. Except from the extremes, nothing sounds particularly better or worse, just different, and after a while I lose the will to live, put everything back at 12 o'clock and crack on. 

Yup that's pretty much what I do. There's loads of chat about frequencies and there are some useful 'markers' as to what characteristics are contained in and about certain bands - boomy, punchy, hollow, zingy, sharp, clanky etc. Think of it like spice in food. If something needs more salt you add a bit of salt right? Why continue to eat a bland meal when the salt is just sitting there? Too busy eating to add a touch of flavour? Some folk like more salt than others - personal preference right! Better yet think of it like a pizza - We will all have an idea of what we like sonically just as much as we know what we do and don't like on a pizza! It's the same food but we all have our take on it.

My experience last week was a new bass which has hot pick ups and to my ear quite a bit of lows so I pulled the bass and low mids on the amp to 11:00 assuming noon was flat on the eq - on my pedal board I carry a a semi-parametric eq pedal and had that set up to shape the bass how I like from playing at home - I used my rudimentary knowledge of eq to set where I thought it might be most useful but fine tuned it with my ears. I couldn't say for certain what frequencies the EQ is set at but I have a rough idea and it's where I think my basses work in the band and to my ear. It sounded great on the day and I was pleased and more importantly it took less than a minute to set it then forget it. I had a bass playing mate (and some members from the other bands who were playing after us chip in too which was useful) in the audience who gave me some reassurance that the balance was good, the bass nice and punchy and sounded cohesive - The guitar/fiddle/vox were all into the PA so I was tryin to keep up with the drummer, still be heard but not over powering.

So basically if you want more 'sparkle' add treble if you want more 'bass' add more bass sure and for most of us we're limited to what our amps are set at. I'd be hard pressed to hear and then say that an amp with lows fixed at 40Hz is less useful than one with lows set at 55Hz especially if the issue of too much lows remained an issue as in the above post but this is where the mids can come into play. A golden rule of EQ is subtractie EQ in small doses often fixes an issue rather than boosting other frequencies but as with most things the rules go out the window and what works, works!

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, krispn said:

A golden rule of EQ is subtractie EQ in small doses often fixes an issue rather than boosting other frequencies but as with most things the rules go out the window and what works, works!

This is a good rule for sound in general. It is better to reduce the the louder parts of a mix than boost the quieter channels.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rothko said:

I found the trick with the 1001T (which may have completely different eq points to the 1001M, as it's allegedly a Genz Benz copy) was to start with the the bass control WAY down, around 8-9 o'clock, everything else at noon - then adjust to taste.

Thanks. I have the M version but I'll give it a try. 

• 7 months later...
On 16/11/2018 at 13:46, ebozzz said:

With the MB Fusion 800, GK doesn't clearly specify if the rated power output is Peak or RMS on their web page or in the manual. If it is indeed RMS, wouldn't 800 watts put the Peak value in the neighborhood of 2000 watts?

fusion.png

Well... 'full' consumption is 880w which is 10% more than 800w which is consistent with 800w rms from class D.

Peak values rely on instantaneous voltage peaks and are "powered" by stored rnergy in the PSU capacitors. Only useful to indicate headroom available for brief transients, so maybe useful for slappers at a push.

• Like 1

On 19/09/2021 at 14:21, Al Krow said:

Streamliner on the outside, nothing like it on the inside.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I noted a comment on the 'class D Diabolcal' thread that stated the 1001T looked like a Streamliner on the outside but was nothing like it in terms of operation. Or something like that. Has anybody had both and would care to comment? If it's not based on the Streamliner, is it based on something else or is it it's own thang?

On 14/05/2022 at 20:16, Chienmortbb said:

It is a compliment in a way that the cosmetic design of the Streamliner was such a huge influence on the Bugera M1001.  

As in ''we think your design is so good we'll take it for ourselves''. I think that's a compliment any designer can happily live without.

• Like 2

Nope didn't get that Stubbsy, sorry.

Anyway people who's budget stretches to a Bugera are not costing Genz Benz a penny.

They are in different universes price wise. If you can afford a Genz you are very unlikely to choose a Bugera - even if it's just as good 

• Like 4