Why become a member? ×

Bugera Veyron 1001 series "2000W" amps

Al Krow

19 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Yep, I saw that and thought about getting one, then it occurred to me that actually, I have way too much stuff and don't need another amp!

I too was tempted as the T model is now under £200 but I have a £300+ car service on Tuesday. 

I have had the bugera for a couple of weeks now and have to say Im really impressed. I have used it at home and at 2 rehearsals (first gig on 31st) and it is a quality amp especially for the money. So for £178 essentially half the price of a 2nd hand equivelant powered amp (OBT, genz streamliner, mark bass etc.) With warranty feels like a bargain.

I've got it paired with a barefaced 2Ten and haven't had to push it passed 9 oclock to keep up with the band. Great warm tones from the valves which gets dirty if you push the gain but not as aggressive as my old obt. The preamp volume is a nice touch and makes it more usable at home. I pushed the treble a bit to 3 oclock to get the tone I like but sounds good with everything set flat. Only minor criticism is that the mid boat doesn't do much to my ears but that is me being picky. 

All in all it's a bargain a d the band seem to like it too.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sbrag said:

I have had the bugera for a couple of weeks now and have to say Im really impressed. I have used it at home and at 2 rehearsals (first gig on 31st) and it is a quality amp especially for the money. So for £178 essentially half the price of a 2nd hand equivelant powered amp (OBT, genz streamliner, mark bass etc.) With warranty feels like a bargain.

I've got it paired with a barefaced 2Ten and haven't had to push it passed 9 oclock to keep up with the band. Great warm tones from the valves which gets dirty if you push the gain but not as aggressive as my old obt. The preamp volume is a nice touch and makes it more usable at home. I pushed the treble a bit to 3 oclock to get the tone I like but sounds good with everything set flat. Only minor criticism is that the mid boat doesn't do much to my ears but that is me being picky. 

All in all it's a bargain a d the band seem to like it too.

The mid range is a subtle one - in fairness so is the one on my SVT! So it's in good company. 

I tend to wind it right round and click through the frequencies to find which suits whichever bass I'm using,and which band I'm working with. 

17 hours ago, stewblack said:

The mid range is a subtle one - in fairness so is the one on my SVT! So it's in good company. 

I tend to wind it right round and click through the frequencies to find which suits whichever bass I'm using,and which band I'm working with. 

Just used mine at rehearsal and wound the mids up full with the selector in the middle position. Sounded bloody fab. Next trip out for it will be Giants of Rock next Saturday.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, stewblack said:

So the middle mid frequency on yours would be 400? Is that right? 

600. It's 220, 600 and 2.5 khz on the valve one. And I'm already pushing the mids a bit on my VT Bass pedal. It obviously depends what you're aiming for. I'm looking for a big old school overdriven valve amp sound without the faff!

56 minutes ago, King Tut said:

600. It's 220, 600 and 2.5 khz on the valve one. And I'm already pushing the mids a bit on my VT Bass pedal. It obviously depends what you're aiming for. I'm looking for a big old school overdriven valve amp sound without the faff!

Bet that sounds massive! 

25 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I got very tempted when they went back down to £178 last week, then it occurred to me I had a couple of amplifiers, the TC450 has never let me down so I don't really need a spare, and if I got one it would probably just stay in its box. Excellent price though!

Wow that was a temptingly low price (again)! Kinda glad I didn't spot it in time - not sure I would have your will power to resist!

4 hours ago, warwickhunt said:

'Volume' is output gain and adds nothing to preamp, so in this instance doesn't change the tonal characteristics... it just makes whatever you have set the input gain at, louder.  

Still a bit puzzled - so there are in effect two master volumes - 'Volume' and 'Master', is that right? Aren't they duplicates in that case?

3 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Wow that was a temptingly low price (again)! Kinda glad I didn't spot it in time - not sure I would have your will power to resist!

I've set up an alert on camelcamelcamel to warn the next time the price drops below 200 on Amazon... I have 65 quid in vouchers to spend too! 

Quick question for T owners - how loud is your fan at domestic headphone volumes?

Never had a bass amp with a fan before, and it's louder than I expected, though not objectionable - and just want to make sure mine isn't a particularly loud example.

37 minutes ago, Rothko said:

Quick question for T owners - how loud is your fan at domestic headphone volumes?

Never had a bass amp with a fan before, and it's louder than I expected, though not objectionable - and just want to make sure mine isn't a particularly loud example.

Hard to say. It's quieter than some louder than others. Certainly I can hear it but not over my playing even at low volume levels. 

I'm intrigued by your other question a out two master volumes, can you explain maybe with some pictures? 

16 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Hard to say. It's quieter than some louder than others. Certainly I can hear it but not over my playing even at low volume levels. 

I'm intrigued by your other question a out two master volumes, can you explain maybe with some pictures? 

Thanks - sounds great into headphones anyway.

I think someone answered my question earlier in this thread - they were saying the 'Volume' knob acts to control the level of the 'Gain' before the eq. I'd just never seen this system of a pre-eq volume followed by an actual 'Master' volume post-eq. Though I see the GB Streamliner has the same system, uncoincidently.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm getting a persistant distortion at the start of a hard-played open A string, even with gain and volume backed-off at 9 o'clock. The clipping light shows red on these notes even on the lowest possible gain settings. It actually sounds more noticeable with the pad -15db engaged, though the clip light doesn't then light up. This is with a Precision and La Bella flats.

I'm only playing through a pair of quality cans at the moment, but it's not them distorting. Anyone else noticed the same thing with the 1001T, or is just me and mine?

Edit: problem fixed. I've got a '57 JV Squier Precison, and had recently jacked up the pickups to regulation Fender height, while still allowing for the staggered A pole. Taking them all down a couple of mm, and problem disappears, with no distortion until the gain starts to kick in around 2-3 o'clock. 

Edited by Rothko
Fixed

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/02/2020 at 16:20, Rothko said:

I'm getting a persistant distortion at the start of a hard-played open A string, even with gain and volume backed-off at 9 o'clock. The clipping light shows red on these notes even on the lowest possible gain settings. It actually sounds more noticeable with the pad -15db engaged, though the clip light doesn't then light up. This is with a Precision and La Bella flats.

I'm only playing through a pair of quality cans at the moment, but it's not them distorting. Anyone else noticed the same thing with the 1001T, or is just me and mine?

Edit: problem fixed. I've got a '57 JV Squier Precison, and had recently jacked up the pickups to regulation Fender height, while still allowing for the staggered A pole. Taking them all down a couple of mm, and problem disappears, with no distortion until the gain starts to kick in around 2-3 o'clock. 

Out of interest which model Bugera have you got?