Why become a member? ×

The bass centre wapping!

Highfox

One visit, around 84.  Was supposed to be revising for finals but saw a classified add saying they had such exotica as a Vigier with "delta metal" finger board, so sloped off to Wapping.   Cobbled streets, narrow stairs, tiny room.  Almost no stock " vigier's sold mate" ... I couldn't have afforded it anyway.  Ah memories.

• Like 1

In the late 80s got signed and I spent a whole wad of cash on a Status Series 2000, Trace Elliiot 350w Head and TE 1x15 & 4x10 cabs. All iconic 80s gear. They were kind enough to give me an ongoing discount deal on Elites.

Wish I’d kept the Status.

• Like 1

Yep, I remember it. I attended the music school upstairs for a couple of months in a fruitless attempt to learn to read music back in about 1991ish. Had more fun lurking around the Bass Centre tbh.

The Bass Centre was where I bought my MusicMan Cutlass I and where I got my Aria B&G modded out with a Bartolini active circuit and extra pup. Still have both basses, btw :)

DSC02132.jpg

• Like 1

Mostly good memories of The Bass Centre ~ Wapping (during the 90's, when I started playing Bass);

Chris (the tech) was a good guy to know and Nick, Alex Carter were always helpful (excellent players' themselves) - and pretty much left you to your own devices.

Grant, on the other hand .......... let's leave it here >>> $$$$$$

One of the best things I ever acquired from BC was a Trace Elliot GP12XV pre-amp that MK was moving on via the shop. I still have it and will never part with it.

I've nearly always played Jaydee's and one day, curiosity got the better of me. BC had an Alembic Signature 4-string for sale, and without really playing it - just bought it, and even had to buy a case!

I don't have many regrets, but buying that Bass is one of them. You live and learn. Jaydee or Alembic? A J.D. every single time.

Trace Elliot | GP12XV | Valve Bass pre-amp | ex Mark King

• Like 2

Bought my NS Design CR4 from Barry at the old Wapping store. Still using it very regularly. So sad that Barry had to close The Bass Centre as a on-street retail outlet. It's was a genuine Mecca for bass players. Always full of lovey and fascinating instruments.

P

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 22/10/2018 at 12:41, chris_b said:

I was chatting to Nick one lunchtime and a guy came in wanting to sell a Wal Pro. He only wanted about £300 but was told they couldn't sell them and they weren't interested!!

I bought a S/H Wal ProIIE in cherry for £300 from The Bass Centre, Wapping in January 1987. It recorded so well shortly after the producer was trying to buy it off me. Yes, I wish I still had it.

I remember The Bass Centre had lots of famous players on signed posters as you went up the stairs. It was indeed the best bass store around in those days. I used to drool over the Status and Steinbergers... the Steinberger was my holy grail.

Edited by markorbit
  • Like 1

Bought my first proper Spector from there in the late 80's/early 90's. A beautiful (used but mint) cherry sunburst US made pre-Kramer Spector NS2, in its case......
I had only just started work so they were good enough to take a deposit and let me pay it off over a year! The day I went in with my dad to make the final payment and take it away will always stay with me and started the big love affair of my life with Spectors. I can still remember opening the case, the look of the bass and the smell of the case/polish....
Ah, good times....

Still have the bass too! ;)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Only have great memories of this place. Would turn up most Saturdays in the mid eighties and work my way through (really nice) Warwicks, Statii, Jaydees, Wals, Alembics, Pedullas, the odd Steinberger and a brace of Zons for a few hours through a Trace stack, then head home to continue my A Level revision.

Staff were never less than accommodating to a youth who clearly could only afford a pack of strings, especially the fellow with the massive mullet. LOVED that place.

• Like 2

Bought my first brand new rig there, a Trace Elliot AH350SM, plus 2103H and 1518 cabs. I remember having to do a job in Gloucestershire in the morning and all I could think of was getting it done as quickly as possible so I could then go rushing off to Wapping. Made sure I parked my work van where I could see it while I did the job, as the envelope full of cash for the rig was in the glove box. 

• Like 1

In the 80's when they first opened, The Bass Centre was my 'local' (or near as dammit) so I used to pop in there on and off. But not too regular -- I couldn't afford it!! :)
Personally I have fond memories of the place and most of the guys were usually pretty decent and friendly. I bought a few bits over the years and still have some receipts (pictured) but the best thing I snagged was my Tune TWB-6 back in 1997 (can't find the receipt for that, though! 😕 ). Always had good service and setups from techie Chris Ward.

bass-centre-receipts_x3a.jpg

• Like 2

On 09/12/2018 at 12:35, Cairobill said:

Only have great memories of this place. Would turn up most Saturdays in the mid eighties and work my way through (really nice) Warwicks, Statii, Jaydees, Wals, Alembics, Pedullas, the odd Steinberger and a brace of Zons for a few hours through a Trace stack, then head home to continue my A Level revision.

Staff were never less than accommodating to a youth who clearly could only afford a pack of strings, especially the fellow with the massive mullet. LOVED that place.

“That kid in again?!”

”yep”

”you letting him tune everything for you?”

”yep”

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On ‎27‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 02:04, chris_b said:

In the late 80's, when he was with Terence Trent D'Arby, I stood for an hour pretending to look at basses and listening to Cass Lewis trying out TE gear. What a great player.

I did that too! Were you there on the same day as me? Was he using his 'Chandlerised' pink Jazz?

• 2 months later...
9 minutes ago, MartinG said:

some great times in Wapping. I worked there from 88 till mind nineties. Met some great players and had a blast. It's a shame retailing will never be the same again.

Hello Martin!  You were an absolute legend at The Bass Centre and helped me part with a lot of money over the years!  Hope you're keeping well.  Are you still out in the Middle East?

Cheers

Gareth M

Edited by franzbassist
  • Like 1

I bought a ton of gear there, some of which I still have.

The place was a revelation when first I visited.

Grant, Nick, Alex and Chris were great. They'd set you up with a suitable amp and just let you get on with it. None of this "Please can I try..."

"Just help yourself, mate!"

Not what I was used to at all!

One bass did get away; a Ken Smith 6er. Should've bought it, but took a Steamer LX6 instead.

I bought a Stingray 5  fretless (Alnico) there. Superb instrument, but just didn't gel with it.

All the others stayed for many, many years.

19 hours ago, franzbassist said:

Hello Martin!  You were an absolute legend at The Bass Centre and helped me part with a lot of money over the years!  Hope you're keeping well.  Are you still out in the Middle East?

Cheers

Gareth M

hi Gareth. Many thanks for the kind words. Yes I am well thankyou, and still in the Middle East. PM me and we can catch up :) hope you're cool mate, and life is treating you well.

On ‎03‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 23:06, NickA said:

One visit, around 84.  Was supposed to be revising for finals but saw a classified add saying they had such exotica as a Vigier with "delta metal" finger board, so sloped off to Wapping.   Cobbled streets, narrow stairs, tiny room.  Almost no stock " vigier's sold mate" ... I couldn't have afforded it anyway.  Ah memories.

I remember playing that, assuming it was the same one. I was at Maidstone College of Art around that time and used to go down on the weekend, also later when I was playing in a London band. As others have said, I used to play everything. I remember the first Warwicks appearing (couldn't get my head round the oil finish at the time), and playing a Carl Thompson and a Steinberger back to back. Great shop. Think I only ever bought one bass there though, a Warwick Dolphin Pro II that I later sold to a friend, who still has it. Although I did order my custom Alembic from them after they moved.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/10/2018 at 11:50, Old Horse Murphy said:

Barry is still going strong

Good thread, important landmark place. I remember Barry. He sold 2 Fenders for me on commission, got an early Bass Collection from there, followed by an NT Thumb fretless, a Trace all-valve. Very hard to go in there and not spend, big time. And even harder to not go in there. Heaven in a shop.
Re stairs (apart from the tube) I have some recollection that late in their tenure there, they opened upstairs...?? Had some guitars, Trace Acoustic, I was with someone trying a Telecaster there so I'm not imagining all of this. But for most of its life it was one big floor of goodness I recall.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Interesting to read all the posts on this thread. I started playing bass in my late teens in the late eighties but I never visited  The Bass Centre. I remember seeing the ads in the magazines and viewing it as some kind of mythical sanctum of dream gear with myriad pro players casually hanging around. I probably found the idea of visiting a bit intimidating if I’m honest.  

I do remember my mate Alex making the trip down for some kind of New Year sale, it must have been 87-88 time and he told me he’d camped out on the street outside so he could be first in the queue to nab the Jaydee Supernatural he had his eye on when they opened up, he got it too. 

• Like 1