Why become a member? ×

Why do people always choose the worst song you did to put on You Tube

leschirons

Had a great gig yesterday doing a wedding but someone has now stuck a number on You Tube.

The one number where our singer forgot the first line, the guitarist and drummer start off too fast and I drop a note whilst wondering if the singer is going to start at some point in the evening😂

Ah well, live music. Seems a bit prissy to ask people to take stuff down and if I couldn't handle criticism, I shouldn't be up there I guess.

• Sad 1

because people usually decide to start recording a band they are enjoying before they know what the song is and only you and the band noticed the mistake, a thing that is even worse is when they post a terrible sounding video on youtube because their phones aren't up to it, less of a problem these days because phones are better, there's 3 awful ones of us on youtube somewhere, thankfully not many views

edit, and no I'm not posting a link 😊

Edited by PaulWarning

There are several guys who come to gigs in this area and they record the bands. It's a hobby, but they are quite professional in the quality of what they do. They ask if we mind them filming and recording and they send the videos to the band leader so he has the final say on what goes online. Of course most don't do this!

These days it's difficult to have a bad gig because someone invariably posts your nightmares online.

We should all have some control over our online images. So I don't think it's a problem if we ask for particularly bad videos to be taken down.

1 hour ago, The59Sound said:

Communication. Works wonders in a band. 

You're right, and of course I communicated my look of death to the guitarist and drummer, but only until I dropped the bum note😂 and then the drummer peed himself laughing.

Of course, I want things to be as good as they possibly can but I don't do this for a living and when it's a one-off (we all make mistakes but this was everybody in the band all in the same 20 seconds) we all laugh and it reminds me why I'm playing with these particular people. No egos. 

At a gig a few weeks back our drummer’s wife did a Facebook live stream of one of our songs.  As we start the song the guy just in front of the camera turns round to his friend and says, fairly audibly “Guitarist and drummer are good”.

“What?” comes the reply.

“I SAID, GUITARIST AND DRUMMER ARE GOOD.  NOT SURE ABOUT THE REST...”.

• Haha 3

We have a few videos around. Usually they start recording half way through the second verse. Guitar solo comes and you get a shot of the back of someone's head, the video'ers feet; some random people dancing. Then they decide to switch to landscape and we all play on our sides for a few bars until they stop videoing half way through the final verse.

... and they still post them online and tag you for good measure

• Haha 1