Why become a member? ×

Difference between SR1800 and 1820

Waddycall

Been interested in the SR1800 since playing one in Mansons a few years ago. I walked out with an SR600 which served me well in covers bands for a while but sold it when I stopped playing live. I’m getting back into a gigging band and looking for a tonally versatile bass. Very tempted by the 1800/1820. Does anyone know the difference between the two or is it just that 1820 is the new name for the 1800. The 1800s seem to be discounted in a few shops.

cheers,

pete

SR1800 had a Wenge/Bubinga neck and a rosewood fingerboard. SR1820 looks like a slight update to this with the change to a Panga Panga/Purpleheart neck and Panga Panga fingerboard.

It would appear that, like other manufacturers, a move away from rosewood and less sustainable woods has prompted the spec change and the model variant.

Edited by skej21

It's tricky to establish range heirarchy with the SRs outwith current models. The SoundGear series has been around since the 80s & Ibanez regularly re-use & recycle model numbers for basses with pretty much unrelated specs.

Fortunately pretty much every Ibby catalogue since 1960-whatever is available online, if you don't mind spending hours doing laborious spec comparisons!

The SR 1800 is a fantastic bass.

I've loved mine and it has over the past year usurped both a Sandberg TM4 and a German Warwick $$ in my line up, to take pride of place as my goto gigging bass. 

I've waxed too often, too lyrically and like a stuck record(!) on this forum about just how great the big single Nord pups are in delivering a punchy throaty tone. Combine with  well balanced body, a slimline neck and a very decent 3 band EQ with switchable mid EQ centre points and together they make for a truly excellent bass. 

I'm just about to trade mine, which I bought new from Wunjos (as none were coming up used for a few months when I was looking!) also at Wunjos for a new SR 1825, as I'm finally letting go of matron's 4 apron strings... 😄 

You're in for a treat. 

Edited by Al Krow

Had an SR1400 for while, also with the Nord big singles - awesome tone, lightweight, slim neck and everything but in the end the reason I moved it on (apart from to get my hands on an EBMM Sterling) was that I just wasn't that keen on the look. Gold hardware and lots of wood... prefer solid colours - so an SR1400 in SR300 colours would be awesome for me :D 

19 minutes ago, anzoid said:

Had an SR1400 for while, also with the Nord big singles - awesome tone, lightweight, slim neck and everything but in the end the reason I moved it on (apart from to get my hands on an EBMM Sterling) was that I just wasn't that keen on the look. Gold hardware and lots of wood... prefer solid colours - so an SR1400 in SR300 colours would be awesome for me :D 

Aha - so you totally loved the bass but didn't like the look. Would it be fair to say that you've only dated aspiring super models? 😂

Edited by Al Krow

7 hours ago, skej21 said:

SR1800 had a Wenge/Bubinga neck and a rosewood fingerboard. SR1820 looks like a slight update to this with the change to a Panga Panga/Purpleheart neck and Panga Panga fingerboard.

It would appear that, like other manufacturers, a move away from rosewood and less sustainable woods has prompted the spec change and the model variant.

The point about different woods is an interesting one. I'm guessing it's part of the reason the more current SR 1820s are selling for about £150 to £200 less than the SR 1800s were retailing new for a year or so back.

I'd be interested in whether the new woods are as high-end / high-quality as the ones used previously? I've got an idea just who might know the answer to that...calling @Grangur :) 

Edited by Al Krow

15 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Aha - so you totally loved the bass but didn't like the look. Would it be fair to say that you've only dated aspiring super models? 😂

Only if they're hot rod yellow or metallic blue :D

Sold a bunch of basses a while back to fund... something. Made a trip to Bass Direct and came home with a Dingwall and didn't really get on with it - pickup position was what did me in, fanned frets was easy... but the pickups got in the way for me (heresy, I know). Mark very kindly took it back and traded for a very nice EBMM Sterling that is gorgeous. The SR1400 was part of the original sale for the Dingwall (forgot to say that bit...)

Edited by anzoid

Can't say I've played either bass. I'm sure they're both totally excellent; we would all expect of Ibanez, if you like that sort of thing. To my taste, most Ibanez instruments have been too aggressive in their tone. Yet my tastes are changing and it's probably a good time to try them again.

To try to help a bit, to answer the wood question that @Al Krow summoned me here for: Wenge and Pangs pangs are very similar in qualities. Both are very hard and will blunt tools as you work them. The grain is straight and it splinters a lot. As they are very similar in these respects, I would expect their other characteristic, such a sound, when used in a neck, will be the same.

AFAIK there are no CITES restrictions on either, but Ibanez could be changing out of anticipation of problems in this area, or it could be down to price.

What you can be certain of, is as the SR1800 was successful, they won't be wanting to change a winning formula. So, the new woods will be as similar as possible to the old ones.

Don't see why they would have ever had a wenge neck and Rosewood fingerboard, apart from to meet a common expectation in the market, for a certain "look".

Summary: dunno for sure, but my guess is it's price.

• Thanks 1