Why become a member? ×

Small combo amp advice needed

durhamboy

OK, a little background first. It's over 20 years since I've played bass and owned a bass, or bass amp of any description. So to say I'm not up to date on modern bass equipment would be an understatement. I'm newly retired and aiming to get back to playing bass again, only for home enjoyment playing classical pieces on bass and composing, or jamming with friends, (mainly with piano, acoustic guitars). I'm thinking a small combo, around 20 to 40 watts may be all I'll need and have been considering either Warwick BC20 or BC40, or Ashdown AAA evo30. There is nowhere within reasonable traveling distance (a few hours) where I could try any Warwick or Ashdown amps here in rural Australia, so I'm taking a punt based on internet searches and hopefully so sage advice here.

Will any of the options mentioned give me the chance of good sound reproduction and given that two of the options only have 8 inch speakers, would I be loosing out in bass response at that speaker size?

Any and all advice or opinions will be greatly appreciated.

• Thanks 1

Can't comment on the specific models you mention but I got rid of my small practice amp in favour of a TC Electronic 2 X 8 250 watt combo. 

It's light, not very big but most importantly sounds like a bass amp rather than a toy.

The 250 watts probably sounds like overkill but remember that is peak power and only achievable with an extension cab.

On its own it's closer to half that and the actual wattage rather than the peak half that again, but still a respectable 50 - 60 watts.  Once you add a piano and couple of guitars you'll be glad of the extra ooomph. 

It has a headphone output for quiet rehearsal and an aux input for playalongability. 

They're fairly reasonably priced when sold second hand.

Edited by stewblack
  • Like 2

The best small affordable combos I have played have been the EBS classic session combos. I think the 60w has a tilt back and sounds a lot bigger than it actually is. Great bass response and superb overall tone. The next in line for me would be the new line of Fender Rumble combos. I have been plugged into a few to demo basses in shops and always been surprised and very impressed with the sound.

I'm 70 years old and wanted a combo for home practice and live gigs with a Jazz quartet so not overly loud.

I tried an EBS classic 60W 110 and loved the tone, EQ. Weight 30lb so not too bad but banged my legs when carrying.

Owned a Fender Rumble 100W, lovely tone and so light, 22lbs.

Eventually settled on a TCE BG250-208 because it had everything I wanted in a convenient small footprint. Weight 28lbs, I wouldn't want to carry anything heavier.

For me convenience was the main reason I kept the 208, but all 3 are good.

There's some great little combo's being made nowadays and prices are keen so it's a hell of a job to decide. Good luck.

• Like 2

The PJB Session 77 sounds very good and represents your instruments sound with minimal colouration.

I liked the TC BG 250 combos eq set points but returned it in favour of a Markbass 802 as the mark was clearer/louder and lighter.

I compared the Session 77 and EBS 60 and the PJB won by a mile in sound reproduction 

Thanks for the responses, I haven't been able to find EBS gear available in Australia as yet, but  All of the others can be had. Markbass  down here are very expensive, only one importer by the look of things. But I've got some searching to do.

Hartke HD50 , HD75 anyone?

2 hours ago, durhamboy said:

Thanks for the responses, I haven't been able to find EBS gear available in Australia as yet, but  All of the others can be had. Markbass  down here are very expensive, only one importer by the look of things. But I've got some searching to do.

Hartke HD50 , HD75 anyone?

Markbass always just use 1 importer per country though in the EU there are some difference in prices  to be found across the member states.

Thanks, I hadn't thought about Roland, though I know their reputation for build quality and reliability. I'll see what might be available down here, due tour smallish population, it often means sometimes we have limited choice and importers often don't stock all of a companies product range, only the lines they see as big sellers.

If you want simplicity and non digital, then I would also suggest the latest orange crush series, they do the 25w 8” speaker, 50w 12” speaker and the 100w 15” Speaker. All are analogue apart from a digital chromatic tuner that can tune up to 6 string basses and the tone playing clean is full, warm and good bottom end. It has a gain that can be blended to combine clean tone of bass along with the gain so you get that nice warm sizzle akin to a valve amp. Also has headphone socket and seperate aux in. I have an ob1-500 so I bought the 100w Crush as the Crush blend and gain works similar way to the ob1, so I can practice and use similar voicing to what I gig, plus the 100w version is also loud enough for band rehearsals. Plenty of YouTube reviews. 

Edited by CyberBass
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ashdown Engineering said:

To answer your original post  the AAA-30 is a punchy little thing and lots of EQ scope and handy features. Our practice amps tend to be a little bigger than most but we find they need it for good bottom end so no toy bass sounds here. Hope you enjoy whatever you end up deciding on. 

http://www.drumpower.com.au/ashdown-aaa-308-combo-amp-bass-guitar-amplifier-1x8.html