Why become a member? ×

SOLD - American 1977 Fender Precision Bass
£1575

nickcarey

SOLD

Sorry sale only - no trades

1977 American Fender Precision Bass. Condition is Used. Collection in person only.

This is an opportunity to own a fantastic American 1977 Precision Bass with its body refinished and in its original case.  

The bass has been restored with three genuine Fender parts made in the USA including the bridge, chrome bridge cover and the vintage style strap buttons to match what would have been fitted on the bass originally.

CONDITION

Overall, the bass is in excellent condition for its age. There are just three small dings and only two of which are visible on the back of the body. The first is next to the Fender neck plate and the second is close to curved forearm area in the body. The third is just below the truss rod which is hidden by the pick guard.

BODY

The body resonates really nicely with loads of sustain. The bass also benefits from an unusual iridescent blue refinish – this gives the bass a unique look. The respray has been very professionally applied (probably not long after it was originally made) as you can see from the photographs. The colour is somewhere between Candy Apple Blue and Lake Placid Blue.

It looks like this bass had a natural finish so we think it has a Northern Hard Ash body. Fender confirmed that the routing matches the basses from the 1976-79 period. 

NECK

The serial number on the neck (S750640) dates it to 1977/78. The body and neck have a snug fit without any signs of anything being altered.

Initially the frets were worn so it has been professionally re-fretted with premium jumbo frets fitted by a professional luthier. The truss can be moved freely both ways.

This bass plays very easily due to the recent professional setup and the re-fret by a luthier. The neck has a smaller 7.25” radius than the modern American P basses which gives it a true vintage feel.

CASE

This bass comes with its original 1970s Fender case and all its latches work. A new handle that has been recently fitted. Some cracks on the corners of the case has been repaired as part of the restoration.

OTHER PARTS

The bass comes with its original white pickguard. A new treated Fender polish cloth is included along with a 2mm screw driver for adjusting the bridge saddles.

OTHER TECHNICAL INFO

Bass Weight: 4.5 Kgs (10lbs)

The bass is slightly heavier than today’s American series ones however because it balances so well this is not noticeable when you start to play. The payoff is in the tone and the sustain. The bass has Allparts CTS Vintage Style Split Shaft pots fitted rated at 250k. 

The bass has also had it's wiring upgraded with vintage style cloth wiring (gauge 22). 

Nut Width: 42mm

I’m based in Lancashire. Any questions about the bass are welcome. Plus, I’m more than happy to arrange times for folks to try the bass out.

Edited by nickcarey
Text updates
  • Like 2

To my knowledge it's the original Fender pickguard. There are other 1977 P Basses out there with a white pickguard that also have no thumb rest (see pic below).  The ones with the black scratchplates seem to have them pretty consistently fitted. More than likely this bass had a natural body finish like the one prior to its refinish.

Thankfully the pickguard on the bass hasn't cracked near the jack socket like some do from this era.

77 PBass White Scratchplate.JPG

Edited by nickcarey
Text update

9 hours ago, Belka said:

The white pickguard definitely looks original. By the late '70s the only basses that you really saw with white pickguards were in natural, so I'd guess this bass was that originally. 

Thanks for that - that's useful to know. 😊

I suspected it might have originally been a natural finish from looking at the bridge cover screws holes where you can faintly see the original finish.

6 hours ago, loweringthetone said:

Beautiful colour, I might say.  Candy apple blue ?

GLWTS

Thanks very much. Good point, it could be classed as being similar to Candy Apple blue.

My guess is 'a darker take on Lake Placid Blue' 😄

Has anyone else got any suggestions what finish it could be similar to?

Two audio recordings have now been attached at the bottom of the original post. Hopefully this will give you a better idea of how this bass sounds compared to a modern precision bass.

The 'Modern' one is a 2016 Standard Fender Precision with an alder body and rosewood fingerboard.  

The 'Vintage' one is the bass in this post. Both basses have the same nickel strings fitted and were recorded via DI with the same settings for consistency.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

On 25/12/2018 at 00:56, Tullfan said:

I couldn’t get either to work!

Could be me! 🤷‍♂️

You should get a prompt to download each file. If it doesn't play automatically you can go to your downloads folder and open the files from there. 

Hope that helps.