Why become a member? ×

Copper leaf finish

Owen

I have a bass that I like a lot but do not dig the finish. I am considering options. One look I have liked in the past is copper leaf. It looks like something even I could manage if I go for the textured look. I would need someone to put a clear coat on it. In this video 

Ben (1st name terms) suggests that I could just slap it on over an existing finish. If I did this then I would need a clear coat as well and I would worry that it would be another thick layer of resonance inhibiting stuff. Or would it? 

I fancy the idea of anodising the copper at various parts just to give it a very faint reliced vibe - where relicing might happen, but just a faint glow of different colour.  I love those green/blue/aquamarine hues. When I have seen people doing this they have sanded the copper and put salt on it before leaving it to sit in Amonia fumes. Can I sand copper leaf? Am I even asking this in the right part of the internet?

4 minutes ago, owen said:

Yep, that is what I figured, but I am not messing with copper sheet, that would be a whole different ball game. I know my limits!

If you fix the copper leaf, you might get a similar effect to sanding by rubbing lightly with printer/copier paper.  It should leave a brushed witness without tearing through.

• Like 1