Why become a member? ×

Guild mini bass

Brook_fan

Just tried this bass

https://www.southernukulelestore.co.uk/shop-by-size/bass/guild-jumbo-junior-bass-guitar/

Anyone else have any experience with one?  I thought it was very very nice, and moreover it sounded great plugged in as well.  Think it would sound great with my mandolin orchestra.  Very well made too- the flamed maple arched back is really lovely.  To be ultra critical I still feel these small basses suffer from intonation issues higher up the neck, but otherwise it was very easy playing.  Of course, very little actual acoustic volume, so the Fishman pickup is a necessity rather than a luxury!

Robbe

Mate of mine has just got one of these and he loves it.

50% cheaper than the Guild , same strings and scale length I believe. Seems to be well made with all mahogany build, though laminated throughout unlike the Guild and the Taylor which have solid tops. Sounds and plays sweet, a nice compromise between a uke bass and a standard scale acoustic/electric. Think he got his for around £220 including a gig bag, great value.

https://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/product/180108320372008--ibanez-pnb14e-opn-acoustic-bass?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7ZSlmKmV3gIVg73tCh3h2wmjEAQYAyABEgKFwvD_BwE

• 3 weeks later...

I’m in the market for a short scale acoustic and the Guild look great. Only downfall I can see for the Guild is that the volume controls for the preamp are inside the sound hole which means if like me you gig it regularly plugged in you can’t use a feedback buster which I find is a must when using it live.

Those Ibanez look lovely too but I already use an Ibanez acoustic bass and although it plays lovely the preamps in them are not the best. 

The Taylor seems to tick all the boxes but that comes with a cost as it’s about twice the price! 😩

Alex

Edited by AlexDelores

20 minutes ago, AlexDelores said:

I’m in the market for a short scale acoustic and the Guild look great. Only downfall I can see for the Guild is that the volume controls for the preamp are inside the sound hole which means if like me you gig it regularly plugged in you can’t use a feedback buster which I find is a must when using it live.

Those Ibanez look lovely too but I already use an Ibanez acoustic bass and although it plays lovely the preamps in them are not the best. 

The Taylor seems to tick all the boxes but that comes with a cost as it’s about twice the price! 😩

Alex

Do you really need a feedback buster? Why not get a nice preamp, such as one of the Headway ones- comes with phase switch and notch filter, which are great tools in the fight for feedback.  But I know what you mean- those controls do get in the way.  I don’t like any electronics in an acoustic instrument, preferring to do everything outside via a preamp, and without having to cut holes in the body.

I didn’t love that Guild though 😊

Robbie

56 minutes ago, Brook_fan said:

Do you really need a feedback buster? Why not get a nice preamp, such as one of the Headway ones- comes with phase switch and notch filter, which are great tools in the fight for feedback.  But I know what you mean- those controls do get in the way.  I don’t like any electronics in an acoustic instrument, preferring to do everything outside via a preamp, and without having to cut holes in the body.

I didn’t love that Guild though 😊

Robbie

I’ve never really looked into Preamps but I definitely will 👍 I just seemed to find the issue was overcome instantly by using a feedback buster so didn’t really look any further...on second thought maybe I shouldn’t look into preamps, I don’t need another excuse to spend money on gear 😂

4 hours ago, AlexDelores said:

Alex

I did love that Guild though 😊

Robbie

Edited by Brook_fan

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone know anywhere in central(ish) London that stocks the Guild? I'd really like to try one, the only place I can find that way that has them is DV247 which is a bit of a trek.

Or if there's anywhere in Cornwall or Devon that would be even better (but very optimistic 🙂 ). I tried the Taylor in Manson's, which played beautifully but is just a little bit fat for me, from the spec sheets the Guild's a tad slimmer - and cheaper!

Cheers, Andy

• 2 months later...