Why become a member? ×

Single Coil P-Bass Options?

thegummy

Anyone know any options for buying a single-coil style P-bass that are (preferably a good bit) under a grand?

The only one I can find is the Harley Benton that's actually under £100 and it gets a lot of rave reviews but hard to be confident of a bass at that price.

I see Squier used to make what would be the perfect option but no longer make it.

Any others?

There is a rather nice MIJ fender one on eBay at the moment.

If you want a new one, Maruszczyk make them, would probably be under a grand.

Edit: I also have a HB 51, they are great value but it is pot luck whether you get a good one or one that needs a lot of set up.  At least there are some more colours available now.

Edit2: Some great single coils on the Maruszczyk website. Not the right shape I guess but can't see why they wouldn't do you a P bass shape with a single.  https://public-peace.de/index.php/bass-guitars/maruszczyk/mr-tee/4-string

Edited by No. 8 Wire
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, kodiakblair said:

Nothing wrong with the HB PB - 50, I've 4 of them

4! Have you got any of the newer ones, different colours etc? Have they changed the neck profile.

I like my PB50, but I really wanted a 51 style bass and also the same neck profile as my Fender Classic 50 - which is shallow but wide (44mm), the PB50 is 42mm and has a deep profile.

6 minutes ago, No. 8 Wire said:

4! Have you got any of the newer ones, different colours etc? Have they changed the neck profile.

I like my PB50, but I really wanted a 51 style bass and also the same neck profile as my Fender Classic 50 - which is shallow but wide (44mm), the PB50 is 42mm and has a deep profile.

I ended up building a partscaster with body and neck from someone I know who makes them. I’ve got two now - one solid and one semi. Both hand finished and set up. Both cost less than £500 complete. 44mm nut, shallow neck etc. 

There really was nothing out there equivalent so I felt it was the best way to do it..

MIGhAdJ.jpg

J7HBFsV.jpg

Kzl4M03.jpg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Bridgehouse said:

I ended up building a partscaster with body and neck from someone I know who makes them. I’ve got two now - one solid and one semi. Both hand finished and set up. Both cost less than £500 complete. 44mm nut, shallow neck etc. 

There really was nothing out there equivalent so I felt it was the best way to do it..

MIGhAdJ.jpg

J7HBFsV.jpg

Kzl4M03.jpg

I've seen (and admired) the first one on another forum but both are absolute crackers, well done.

Partscaster is an option but the paint job puts me off, it looks like a time consuming process that I just wouldn't be able to do.

24 minutes ago, thegummy said:

I've seen (and admired) the first one on another forum but both are absolute crackers, well done.

Partscaster is an option but the paint job puts me off, it looks like a time consuming process that I just wouldn't be able to do.

The first one was danish oil - done in a weekend and foolproof - it is literally wipe on with a cloth, give a few hours to dry and then reapply until you like what you see. 

The green one is nitro and so a whole different kettle of difficult fish...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, No. 8 Wire said:

I got one from the last batch of 2017 and one from the first batch 2018. The necks changed to more of a satin sheen since 2014's gloss, they're now a wee bit shallower.

I mention the batch dates because there was a factory change and the 1st lot of 2018 had teething troubles. Thomann got things fixed pronto as the PB-50 is a big seller.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, yorks5stringer said:

There's a Freya one in the ads too at the moment, they were selling for around £150 on eBay at one time, the one in the ads has been upgraded substantially.

I meant to add a link to them earlier but there's a lousy signal at work. Freya no longer sell them so somebody best snap it up.

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, barrycreed said:

Resurrecting an old thread. Thinking of going down the single coil p bass route, and possibly asking the guys at Oil City for a similar pickup to what @Bridgehouse got done in his semi hollow bass.

Not sure if the person who built your semi hollow body @Bridgehouse does them usually, or was it a one off? 

Very much a one off - the builder doesn’t build any more - you’d have to go to a luthier and request one from scratch

• Like 1

10 hours ago, barrycreed said:

@Bridgehouse thanks. I’ve seen a few options in the meantime. A thinline body looks appealing in that it would be light.

They do sound different tho, you should note.. bit more woody and a bit more thumpy. That’s why I had the unusual pickup built - it’s a very focused sound and helps the thin line punch through