Why become a member? ×

Valve Amp Virgin

SamPlaysBass

I’ve recently bought a nicely run-in Ampeg SVT 410 HE (8ohm) for peanuts after selling my most of lightweight gear, and it sounds glorious. I’m looking at going the full hog and putting something valve-y on top of it. I’ve used SVT CLs and 8x10s when festivals have been kind to us, and I love that tone. My Fender Professional Jazz V loves to sing through big, heavy valves.

I’m currently using an LM3 to power the 410HE, which sounds good but a bit.. dry? 

The truth is I’ve got GAS for a valve amp to complete the rig. My question is do I go for something like an Ampeg VB4 or stay British and get an Orange or Ashdown? I’m looking for meaty, mostly clean tones for finger style funk and soul. I like to slap, but I seriously dislike the sterile, active clack. I prefer passive thump to hifi clarity. 

I’ll keep the LM3 for pure ease of use, but for those awesome gigs where we’ve got a bit more time to set up and tinker, what would you suggest? 

11 minutes ago, pbasspecial said:

If you're mostly looking for clean tones then a valve amp is probably not needed as the gold only really happens when you push it hard to get that lovely warm gritty tones.  Just my opinion. 

I understand where you’re coming from, but perhaps I was a bit over zealous saying clean... Maybe I mean just not completely filthy? I love the break up sound! 

9 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

If you get an Ashdown you have the assurance that if anything ever goes wrong they'll fix it FOC (normally).

Lozz is the man to speak to for recommendations.

Again, one of the considerations. I’ve had amps in the past (albeit Class D) that have needed some TLC and the technician has been stumped when trying to find parts. It would be great to have peace of mind knowing someone could fix it if it needed it. Speaking of which, I’m sure there’s an Ashdown BTA 200 on here somewhere...