Why become a member? ×

Small wireless guitar system

bonzodog

50 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Had an odd one yesterday. I sat my laptop on my rack next to wireless receiver and the interference led's started to light up and i could hear distortion. Moved the laptop down to floor and sorted.

Not really odd - that's the 2.4ghz NIC of your laptop interfering with the radiowaves. You may get improved results if you turn off the bluetooth on your laptop (if it has that functionality and it is running).

47 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Not really odd - that's the 2.4ghz NIC of your laptop interfering with the radiowaves. You may get improved results if you turn off the bluetooth on your laptop (if it has that functionality and it is running).

Thought it was to do with the laptop wireless. Its not really a problem as i don't usually have the laptop on my amp. 

Does that mean i will experience problems at gigs if people are using their phone cameras near me. ?

Always good when someone gives me some feedback on problems. That's why i spend so much time on BC .........i have a lot of problems :laugh1:

Edited by dmccombe7

4 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Thought it was to do with the laptop wireless. Its not really a problem as i don't usually have the laptop on my amp. 

Does that mean i will experience problems at gigs if people are using their phone cameras near me. ?

Always good when someone gives me some feedback on problems. That's why i spend so much time on BC .........i have a lot of problems :laugh1:

Generally not - it's generally a proximity thing. As you've found out,  most units will latch onto the strongest signal, however, if there is a nearby device(s) that causes intermodulation, you will be subject to that interference.

Most people think that boosting the output power is the way to get around this... in reality, it's not that easy. For large scale deployments of wireless, it's all about using as weak a signal as you can, with co-ordinated frequencies. In the none pro world, wireless is complete chaos... and you take your chances. On the whole, you are going to be OK as long as there isn't too many wireless devices in close proximity to your receiver. Most people don't take their laptops down the pub... and because you tend to be the closest person to your wireless transmitter, you can more often than not, get away with it. The more clean channels you need though, the greater risk of interference as the space available in the rf spectrum is very quickly eroded.

This is all part and parcel of the reason why all these 2.4Ghz are not common place on pro stages.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EBS_freak said:

Generally not - it's generally a proximity thing. As you've found out,  most units will latch onto the strongest signal, however, if there is a nearby device(s) that causes intermodulation, you will be subject to that interference.

Most people think that boosting the output power is the way to get around this... in reality, it's not that easy. For large scale deployments of wireless, it's all about using as weak a signal as you can, with co-ordinated frequencies. In the none pro world, wireless is complete chaos... and you take your chances. On the whole, you are going to be OK as long as there isn't too many wireless devices in close proximity to your receiver. Most people don't take their laptops down the pub... and because you tend to be the closest person to your wireless transmitter, you can more often than not, get away with it. The more clean channels you need though, the greater risk of interference as the space available in the rf spectrum is very quickly eroded.

This is all part and parcel of the reason why all these 2.4Ghz are not common place on pro stages.

Are the Pro's using a different frequency ?

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

I used this small AKG unit this weekend (Fri, Sat) at rehearsals.

+ simple and quick setup, freedom to move, and battery lifetime (single AA)

- breathing i.e. signal losses produce strange sound transformations that relate to attack and overall sound

Conclusion: will use it in sound checks and rehearsals, but definitely not in gigs without a good reason.

I went for the Smooth Hound and i've used it at 2 rehearsals with absolutely no issues at all. Very pleased with it so far. I've also been using it at home almost every day for 1-2hrs and batteries have lasted about 2 weeks probably a total of about 15-16hrs and down to 2bars left. That's not too bad i reckon.

Even our drummer mentioned the fact there were no drop outs.

Dave

• Like 1

On 12/03/2019 at 12:10, dmccombe7 said:

Are the Pro's using a different frequency ?

Dave

Generally yes.

Theres Ch70 and 2.4/5Ghz which are wide open - no guarantee that the airwaves will be free for you.

Channel 38 required a license.- not guaranteed but more likely because the requirement of a license...

Then there's fixed venue licenses - which are a set of licenses for frequencies that are allocated by Ofcom to a specific venue (typically theatres). These tend to be in the 700 range.

Then there's on demand licenses - which are short term licenses for frequencies that are allocated to a location by Ofcom (larger venues/outdoor events). Again, these tend to be in the 700 range.

The latter two licenses are what the pros are using. As you can imagine, for a touring band, theres a bit of work to do before hand to make sure licenses are in place way before you rock up.

• Thanks 1

You really know your stuff sir,  and on many topics too. I have to admit to being quite impressed. 

As always i appreciate any feedback on questions i ask, no matter how dumb they may sound i find its better to ask than sit silently in confusion.

Thanks EBS Freak.

Dave

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

You really know your stuff sir,  and on many topics too. I have to admit to being quite impressed. 

As always i appreciate any feedback on questions i ask, no matter how dumb they may sound i find its better to ask than sit silently in confusion.

Thanks EBS Freak.

Dave

No worries. Life's too short not to share knowledge. Can't take it with me.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/03/2019 at 13:18, Happy Jack said:

The one thing I'd really like is a Smooth Hound where the receiver unit contains a decent battery pack. Having to use a mains plug is often a right pain, and the weight of the batteries would settle down the receiver unit.

Late to the party but - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6x1-5V-AA-2A-CELL-Battery-Batteries-Holder-Storage-Box-9V-Case-With-Lead-Wire-T9/302965512945 plus a 5.5/2.1mm power connector, positive centre, would give you a 9V AA supply. Just hold the battery box and receiver together with a laccy band.

• Like 1

For further information, I have a Line 6 G50 on one pedalboard, and a Smoothhound which gets used with a Zoom MS-60B as my other "pedalboard". I don't notice any latency with the Smoothhound, I just have a bit of a problem connecting the Smoothhound and MS-60B because of the way short leads are, and because the Smoothhound receiver is so light.

On 24/03/2019 at 18:41, EBS_freak said:

Generally yes.

Theres Ch70 and 2.4/5Ghz which are wide open - no guarantee that the airwaves will be free for you.

Channel 38 required a license.- not guaranteed but more likely because the requirement of a license...

Then there's fixed venue licenses - which are a set of licenses for frequencies that are allocated by Ofcom to a specific venue (typically theatres). These tend to be in the 700 range.

Then there's on demand licenses - which are short term licenses for frequencies that are allocated to a location by Ofcom (larger venues/outdoor events). Again, these tend to be in the 700 range.

The latter two licenses are what the pros are using. As you can imagine, for a touring band, theres a bit of work to do before hand to make sure licenses are in place way before you rock up.

I look after the PA at the local football club, Poole Town. We used a radio mic in the free Channel 70 (863-865 MHz) for years.  We found that with the advent of 4G and we got lots  of interference. We changed to a Channel 38 system (licence cost £12 per year) and have had no problem since. 

My  Smoothound  has never had a problem wherever I have played.

Incidentally part of the 5GHz band was originally exclusively allocated to Digital Radio mics. However manufacturers were incredibly short sighted and did not use it. The result is that the band was reallocated and you can now use it for WiFi. 

Edited by Chienmortbb

50 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

12 pounds a year doesn’t sound right...

UHF (Channel 38)

£85.00 for one year and £155.00 for two years.

If users decide to purchase this type of licence there is a discount for purchasing direct from our website:

£75.00 for one year and £135.00 for two years.

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/manage-your-licence/radiocommunication-licences/pmse/pmse-licence-info

I have a smoothhound. I have rarely had any problem with it (and when I have it was power supply related), but one of the things I am not keen is connecting it to the bass. It does seem to have a dodgy hinge these days, but it is connected always by a little cable which has to be tied somewhere, so it is a bit of a faff if I want to change bass.

Do the little boss things fit in an ibanez? The smoothhound will not really fit in one, well, it sort of will but sticks out and presses against the wood making marks. If the boss thing goes in then I will probably go for having both.

Well halfway into a mini tour of Germany/Holland and my Boss WL20 has worked fine. All the blurb said it would but when overseas in a strange environment it’s when you use things that you find out if they’re ok or not and happy to say the WL20 is fine for use in Europe so far.

I checked out my friends Boss at the beginning of the week. Seems robust enough, especially for the price. Can’t complain really - and if you like the “bug” approach to wireless (I’m personally not a fan - I would put it on a cable and have the transmitter unit in a pouch on a strap), it’s got to be one, if not, the one to go for.

Been using these for a couple of years. Full charge with constant use gets about 3 or 3.5 hours play time, so will easily cope with 2 sets and a break. Unless you're Ted Nugent

No latency that i can hear, and a fair range and no interference that i've heard

https://www.andertons.co.uk/guitar-dept/guitar-wireless-systems/xvive-wireless-guitar-system-in-black

16 minutes ago, fleabag said:

Been using these for a couple of years. Full charge with constant use gets about 3 or 3.5 hours play time, so will easily cope with 2 sets and a break. Unless you're Ted Nugent

Luckily I am not Ted Nugent, although 3 hours would be pushing it for a min playtime for us. Although we are managing to keep gigs down below 3 hours, with the setup time etc, that would be running out of power.

Well if you a were bit more normal  :)

1 x 45 min set , 30 min break  so switch 'em off , another 45 min set, is only 1.5 hours, so they would  have plenty of meat left.

Doing 3 hours gigs doesnt float my kayak, so the Xvive works a treat for me,  but i guess you need something else

5 minutes ago, fleabag said:

Well if you a were bit more normal  :)

1 x 45 min set , 30 min break  so switch 'em off , another 45 min set, is only 1.5 hours, so they would  have plenty of meat left.

Dream of doing that. Doing 2 x 1hr set is known as 'a short gig' for us. And even then the singer would try and extend it a bit.

They view it as a positive, I don't. Who the hell wants to watch a band for that long?

Edited by Woodinblack
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

Dream of doing that. Doing 2 x 1hr set is known as 'a short gig' for us. And even then the singer would try and extend it a bit.

They view it as a positive, I don't. Who the hell wants to watch a band for that long?

Jings i remember when average set was either 2x45 min sets. Ah those heady youthful days when bands were important and not just there to fill in the gaps between DJ's  :laugh1:

Dave

Ive recently got a Xvive U2 system, and really like it. I was going for the Boss system but hate the idea of having to keep pairing them (and Laos the look). The Xvive has the advantage of proper on/off switches on each unit. This means I don’t have to worry about unplugging them at home. 

I use them all the time at home, and while i don’t get any noise etc i do get the occasional stuttering/dropouts. They have a light on them that flashes when interference is detected. It flashes quite a bit but this doesn’t seem to affect audio at the same time. Not a big deal at home and i put it down to my Wifi router being quite close, and using my ipad within 1ft of the receiver. At rehearsals ive not noticed any issues, and my guitarist also uses one.