Why become a member? ×

Small wireless guitar system

bonzodog

According to the blurb on Amazon, they are designed to work with passive guitars only and won't work with active instruments. Seems they can also suffer from interference, presumably they are fixed channel 2.4GHz with no clever channel hopping such as you get with Line 6 kit or Smoothhounds.

You get what you pay for.

i have a stageclix, its built like a tank and its never ever let me down, or picked up interference in about 7 years.  It has its own rechargeable battery so you dont have to buy batteries. It was quite expensive.

I had a samson, which used an aaa battery each gig, and it picks up some interference.

I also recently bought a Line 6 G10 which has some great features, it turns off if not used, or if you unplug it. Play a note and it starts up. Its rechargeable but Its pretty flimsy.

A friend has a line 6 and live he gets interference and it drops out.

If you are using one live, Id rather have a cable than an unreliable radio.

• Like 1

Small and compact wireless system = Boss WL20 to me. Two little units, one plugged into the bass, one into the amp. No mains power leads, no on/off switch, you simply plug one into the other and they pair automatically choosing the best available frequency. Charge `em up overnight, but each full charge lasts for at least 5hrs - think it`s 10.

The 50 is the stompox version, so fits into a pedal-board etc, and I think it has different cable length simulation settings, whereas the 20 is two little bugs and only simulates a 3 metre cable. I`ve been well chuffed with my WL-20, one of my better purchases.

• Thanks 1

On 19/10/2018 at 15:21, bonzodog said:

Has anyone used one of these small systems like the one below?

https://www.dawsons.co.uk/rowin-ws-20-guitar-wireless-system?gclid=CjwKCAjwgabeBRBuEiwACD4R5g-ymDhAif0ms9TLGXkPqDJpVX_5_-Uo0IDW0aaludNgxBCaTVvWtBoCnHYQAvD_BwE

There seems to be a few ones that are very similar and cheap. Just wasn't sure how good they are

12 mS seems a lot of latency. it is 1.5 times longer than the SmoothHound in its normal state and 2.4 times longer in minimum latency

27 minutes ago, Chienmortbb said:

12 mS seems a lot of latency. it is 1.5 times longer than the SmoothHound in its normal state and 2.4 times longer in minimum latency

Which is a lot of latency considering the latency of the SmoothHound isn't exactly minimal. With todays tech, 4ms is the absolute maximum that anybody should be entertaining.

Liking the look of that Boss WL50 - just ordered one, in fact.  I currently use the Line 6 G50 - which works absolutely perfectly - but the compactness of the WL50 look very appealing.

So, thank you Basschat for seeing off more of my hard earned  😄

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking of going wireless too and had been looking at Smooth Hound but there are a few others mentioned on here like the Boss WL20 which interest me too.

Would value opinions on their own wireless systems. Quote an approx price for yours would be handy too 

Should i start a new thread or is the OP ok with this request included in his own thread. 

Dave

5 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

I'm thinking of going wireless too and had been looking at Smooth Hound but there are a few others mentioned on here like the Boss WL20 which interest me too.

Would value opinions on their own wireless systems. Quote an approx price for yours would be handy too 

Should i start a new thread or is the OP ok with this request included in his own thread. 

Dave

I did recommend the Line 6 G10 but have discovered a design fault where the power supply plugs in, it is a  mini USB plug (similar to a phone) the socket is just attached to the circuit board, it becomes loose with use and easily becomes disconnected, just like a phone charger.

Shame, apart from that it is a well thought out piece of kit, I've solved the problem (hopefully) by fitting a bracket, but I shouldn't have too

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

I did recommend the Line 6 G10 but have discovered a design fault where the power supply plugs in, it is a  mini USB plug (similar to a phone) the socket is just attached to the circuit board, it becomes loose with use and easily becomes disconnected, just like a phone charger.

Shame, apart from that it is a well thought out piece of kit, I've solved the problem (hopefully) by fitting a bracket, but I shouldn't have too

Thanks Paul

Our guitarist has the G10 and he said it worked well but was very flimsy and cheaply made. 

At the moment i'm leaning towards the Smooth Hound as i've not seen any negatives about it anywhere.

Dave

I have Line 6 G50 and it is very good.  I had a better lead made by obbm for the transmitter unit>jack, as many people do.  My only complaints about it are the battery life indicator on the transmitter tells outrageous lies and the whole unit is a little bit clumsy.  Those are the main reasons why I ordered the Boss LW50  - I much prefer the idea of the direct plug-in bug, the rechargeable battery in the transmitter that docks into the base unit, plus the small size of the base unit.   Incidentally, it isn't going to be available until Januray, it seems.

• Like 1

I have a smoothhound and the boss system (with the two battery units as opposed to the pedal one)

Both would do the job very well. The smoothhound takes AAA batteries but requires the base to be plugged in, the boss is usb charged for both units. 

I use the boss far more - draw your own conclusions from that!

1 hour ago, Bridgehouse said:

I have a smoothhound and the boss system (with the two battery units as opposed to the pedal one)

Both would do the job very well. The smoothhound takes AAA batteries but requires the base to be plugged in, the boss is usb charged for both units. 

I use the boss far more - draw your own conclusions from that!

Is the USB charging not a bit of a nuisance tho. Can you replace the batteries just in case you forget to charge them before a gig

I have a mains slot on back of my amp rack so the Smooth Hound having a mains charge isn't too much of a problem.

Do you get any interference on either of them ?

Dave

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

Is the USB charging not a bit of a nuisance tho. Can you replace the batteries just in case you forget to charge them before a gig

I have a mains slot on back of my amp rack so the Smooth Hound having a mains charge isn't too much of a problem.

Do you get any interference on either of them ?

Dave

USB charging sort of depends on how you look at it - I can charge it in the car on the way to a gig, but similarly if I forget to bring spare AAA batteries with the smoothhound I’m equally stuffed. 

Both are fine for interference, but the boss has less latency. Which is actually quite a big thing..

24 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

USB charging sort of depends on how you look at it - I can charge it in the car on the way to a gig, but similarly if I forget to bring spare AAA batteries with the smoothhound I’m equally stuffed. 

Both are fine for interference, but the boss has less latency. Which is actually quite a big thing..

How long does it take to charge ?