Why become a member? ×

Small wireless guitar system

bonzodog

2 hours ago, Bridgehouse said:

Dave - where are you based? I have both, you could try both of mine

Much appreciate your offer Bridgehouse. That's really good of you.

I'm near Lanark in Central belt Scotland about 40-50 miles South Glasgow. My guitarist has the G30 that he uses with bass in his Ozzy tribute band and i can try his.

Our rehearsal room is quite large probably about 10m x 5m.

Dave

1 minute ago, dmccombe7 said:

Much appreciate your offer Bridgehouse. That's really good of you.

I'm near Lanark in Central belt Scotland about 40-50 miles South Glasgow. My guitarist has the G30 that he uses with bass in his Ozzy tribute band and i can try his.

Our rehearsal room is quite large probably about 10m x 5m.

Dave

I’m Peterborough - that’s quite a way!

Just now, dmccombe7 said:

Its still a great offer and very much appreciated. Would the wireless work this far and would the latency thing be much of an issue. xD

Thanks again for the offer.

Dave

Lol. If you find yourself further south a bit then we could meet up. And if I’m heading your way I’ll let you know 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

Lol. If you find yourself further south a bit then we could meet up. And if I’m heading your way I’ll let you know 

Sounds like a plan. Where is Peterborough ? 

Better google it

Edited by dmccombe7

On 16/11/2018 at 15:15, EBS_freak said:

Why would you buy something that doesn't give you scope to expand in the future?

Because in my case, the future isn't expanding. This will simply do the job I need it to do. No point in overthinking it if I don't need to!

Edit: and money is also an issue, so this solves a problem without breaking the (very tightly constrained) bank.

Edited by Telebass
More thought!
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Have played several gigs with mine now. There has been the occasional dropout, but repositioning, and learning these foibles, has reduced that to zero by the last gig. I have only one more gig with the rock band, the grand NYE finale at Tavistock Wharf. Will see how it pans out for battery life there, that gig will be one 90-minute and one of around 120.

Call it latency or propagation delay, the Dawson's one quotes 15Ms so twice as long as the Smooth-hound. I have been playing a Smoothound for over a year and never  felt an issue. On Thursday, on a dark stage I had to bypass my pedal board that included Smoothound and plug in directly as I lost sound.*  Playing with a cable did not sound noticeably different in a band setting.

Someone mentioned the latency when plugging into a DAW?  Why would you not go direct into the A to D input to the DAW?

* I had disconnected a power supply cable when I  trod on it. My fault, it should have been tucked out of the way.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Chienmortbb said:

Someone mentioned the latency when plugging into a DAW?  Why would you not go direct into the A to D input to the DAW?

Its not a DAW per se, more anything that is digital and has an A/D D/A conversion in your chain... so digital pedals, digital mixers... DAWs have an operational latency to begin with... but you are right, you are more likely not wanting to be adding to it by going wireless into it. 

Bought an AKG 40-series used wireless for 50 € / 45 £. Our band has a wireless mixer (Soundcraft), so now it is possible to make mixing / sound check from the front. If the unit works well, our guitarist or I might use it on stage. Let's see...

• 2 months later...

Just recieved my Smooth Hound wireless and its pretty impressive just giving it a quick try at home before going out.

Quality is pretty good altho i can see what people meant with batery cover but a little care and it will be fine. 

I bought the small strap case to mount it as when i change basses i use the same strap.

Does the reciever move when sitting on top of your amp ?

Its not very heavy and just wondered what others have come across with this or any other types on top of amps. 

Literally plugged in and played with no set up required at all.

Need to order a short lead for transmitter tho.

Dave

10 hours ago, naxos10 said:

Glad you gone Smoothound Dave, I did the same and found know problems. Got a spare short lead if you are interested.

i've got loads of patch leads from when i had my pedal board but really appreciate the offer naxos10. 

I'm getting a short lead made up by our very own Bassic-bits with an angled jack one end and locking female jack the other as i'm putting the transmitter in a small pouch on my strap. 

Dave

13 minutes ago, Dem Jolie-blues said:

Well,  I've read every post on this thread and I never gave latency a thought either, maybe I'm too deaf nowadays to know if it's happening, ha-ha.   Off to Google my Audio Technica system that I've had years ...

If you've had it "years" - as in many years... - it may well be analogue, so the latency will sub a ms. (in reality it's a mere fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a ms)

On 08/03/2019 at 12:42, dmccombe7 said:

Does the reciever move when sitting on top of your amp ?

Its not very heavy and just wondered what others have come across with this or any other types on top of amps. 

On 10/03/2019 at 11:14, pete.young said:

Not once you tape it down with a bit of gaffer 🙂

Mine has velcro on the bottom nowadays and lives on the pedal board.

Yup to all the above. The casing for the receiver is so lightweight that it's a very good idea to anchor it somehow. When I use it on a pedal board it's a velcro jobbie just like any other small unit.

It's easy enough to work around though. When not used on a pedal board, I route the patch cable from the receiver to the bass amp through one of the handles on the rack case, which takes any strain or tension out of the set-up.

The one thing I'd really like is a Smooth Hound where the receiver unit contains a decent battery pack. Having to use a mains plug is often a right pain, and the weight of the batteries would settle down the receiver unit.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

If you've had it "years" - as in many years... - it may well be analogue, so the latency will sub a ms. (in reality it's a mere fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a ms)

Really  ?, thanks for  that,  It's very old, been online looking for reviews and manuals and it barely  exists, no real info at all.  The smoothhound  system is very well represented  though, talks about adding treble, where my old Technica adds muddy-ness. 

21 minutes ago, Dem Jolie-blues said:

Really  ?, thanks for  that,  It's very old, been online looking for reviews and manuals and it barely  exists, no real info at all.  The smoothhound  system is very well represented  though, talks about adding treble, where my old Technica adds muddy-ness. 

The mud or shrillness of an older transmitter is down to the compander which compresses and expands the audio pre and post radio transmission. Not so good in some units - and pretty much the decent analogue systems, even now, come with the higher price tags.

Ill be surprised if a digital system “adds” treble. It’s more likely to reveal treble that would typically be lost through cable capacitance when a traditional cable is in play.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

The mud or shrillness of an older transmitter is down to the compander which compresses and expands the audio pre and post radio transmission. Not so good in some units - and pretty much the decent analogue systems, even now, come with the higher price tags.

Ill be surprised if a digital system “adds” treble. It’s more likely to reveal treble that would typically be lost through cable capacitance when a traditional cable is in play.

Yep i've noticed the treble thing. I generally use a 3 or 4 metre lead at home so the difference when using the wireless was quite noticeable. Not overly bad it just felt as tho my older strings had a bit more life in them. New strings on my Jazz was quite a bit more in your face. I just tweaked the EQ on either bass or amp to suit.

2 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

Yup to all the above. The casing for the receiver is so lightweight that it's a very good idea to anchor it somehow. When I use it on a pedal board it's a velcro jobbie just like any other small unit.

It's easy enough to work around though. When not used on a pedal board, I route the patch cable from the receiver to the bass amp through one of the handles on the rack case, which takes any strain or tension out of the set-up.

The one thing I'd really like is a Smooth Hound where the receiver unit contains a decent battery pack. Having to use a mains plug is often a right pain, and the weight of the batteries would settle down the receiver unit.

Was thinking of putting some velcro on top front corner of the rack and some on bottom of the reciever unit to ensure it doesn't move. I don't use pedals as amp has built in compresor that works pretty well. 

Dave

13 minutes ago, naxos10 said:

Dave have you played with the 'built in' cable length settings on the Smoothound? these do make a difference to the sound.

I haven't tried that yet but tweaking the amp a little was enough for me. Might try that today tho just to hear the difference in tone. It looks quite easy to change the settings.

As my strings dull down from new i usually tweak the bass or amp EQ anyways so it wasn't too much of a change and i think i would simply get used to it.

I suppoese it makes sense to set it the same as your lead as that way if it fails for any reason i'll swap over to a lead and tone won't change.

Dave