Why become a member? ×

Fender Survey - women now 50% of customer base...

Teebs

On 19/10/2018 at 19:07, skankdelvar said:

Despite (or perhaps because of) a lifetime of booze, fags, lard and recreational narcotics I look decades younger than I am. Fact.

Anyway, this drummer, she'd have been a perfect image for the intended 'punky covers and originals' but the two cowering little milksops wouldn't have it. Probably thought the audience would be watching her rather than them, which would have been true.

FWIW, one of these guys was an American post grad student and the other a junior lecturer, both at Oxford Uni, both mid-late 20's .

You'll know not to listen to other's opinions in the future then... if she looks good and can play, you need her in your band.

15 minutes ago, CMSbass67 said:

You'll know not to listen to other's opinions in the future then... if she looks good and can play, you need her in your band.

Generally speaking I tend not to heed other peoples' opinions but in both instances I was outvoted and killing these dullards where they stood wasn't really an option.

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

You do realise they make the St Vincent model for, well, St Vincent?

Never heard of her so I had a look, she’s pretty cheesy compared to the kind of kids Fender are showcasing tbh. Having a token shiny female in the corner is a very different approach. But i’d be interested in seeing the stats, if Gibson / EB’s demographic is also 50/50 then fair play.

9 hours ago, lownote12 said:

Mrs Lownote is always going on about how you can tell men have designed cars because the accelerator pedal isn't sized for a small foot, and the safety belts catch painfully on their mammaries.  I wonder how many women would redesign basses to make them more user friendly if they could.  I am minded of shots of Tal Wilkenfeld playing basses that looked three sizes too big for her and with a boob awkwardly hanging over the top.  

tal-wilkenfeld.jpg

Are we seriously suggesting that at this point in her career, Tal isn’t aware or capable enough to source a bass that is perfectly comfortable for her?

Is the boob ‘hanging over the top’ awkward/uncomfortable for her.....or for you? Why is it even mentioned if not by her?

Si

• Like 1

13 hours ago, skankdelvar said:

You'd probably like Reba. Unless you don't like country music in which case you probably wouldn't. 

That's the thing, see. Country is huge in the States and women are very much at the forefront compared to Rock, always have been - but we've never heard of any of them over here.

Huge indeed. We had a dep drummer a couple of years ago, American fella living over here, had married an English girl, couple of kids, etc. I was frankly astonished by his tales of the sheer scale of Country over there; he'd made a good living for several years touring the US Midwest with various acts on a pretty much permanent basis in two and three semi (HGV for us, to avoid unnecessary fnarr-ing on a Sunday morning) rig-sized pantechnicons, playing to 15,000+ people per gig. Artists I'd heard very little about, or assumed they were kinda niche. 

Depending on your sources, Garth Brooks (admittedly The Biggest Hat In Country) has sold more albums than the Rolling Stones and Abba put together, and outsold Elvis. He's certainly comfortably Top 5/10 All Time.

Who? 😀

And yep, Country has plenty of ladies, a lot of them playing acoustics. Possibly Fender acoustics...

On 19/10/2018 at 15:03, Silvia Bluejay said:

I can't make up my mind on whether that's good news (i.e. Yay! More women play an instrument!) or bad news (Woman goes into guitar shop, is steered towards a Fender, buys it because she isn't geeky enough to know there are lots of better choices).

(I quickly lost count of the number of times I went into a shop while first-bass-hunting, my only requirement being 'suitable to petite player with small hands', and was offered a frigging Fender Jazz! 😮 Luckily I did know better.)

why spend time and countless beer tokens on GAS purchases only to realise 40 years later that you were correct in buying the fender bass in the first instance :D

• Haha 1

I had rather hoped my comment wouldn't be taken as sexist or gross, but as it is worded... I doubt very much any woman has ever had a hand in the design of a bass, which may in certain cases make them less than ideal ergonomically.  Too much to ask, clearly. 

Edited by lownote12

LOL LOL! I don't know about Tal - or her boobs! - but mine would really like a better-designed bass!

While Warwick Corvettes and Bass Collection instruments are so far the models I find more comfortable than most, neither model is perfect: Corvettes are far too heavy and, despite that, the 5ers suffer from neck dive, while my Bass Collection is light and small but has a P pickup, whose sound I simply hate (all P-sounding basses are anathema to my ears, and I am not apologising for saying that). Having to EQ to dial in my favourite sound every time I want to play it is tedious, when I can simply plug in a Corvette and be ready to play instantly.

GAS is good. I like GAS. New, female-friendly bass guitar designs welcome. :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

LOL LOL! I don't know about Tal - or her boobs! - but mine would really like a better-designed bass!

While Warwick Corvettes and Bass Collection instruments are so far the models I find more comfortable than most, neither model is perfect: Corvettes are far too heavy and, despite that, the 5ers suffer from neck dive, while my Bass Collection is light and small but has a P pickup, whose sound I simply hate (all P-sounding basses are anathema to my ears, and I am not apologising for saying that). Having to EQ to dial in my favourite sound every time I want to play it is tedious, when I can simply plug in a Corvette and be ready to play instantly.

Thank you

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Teebs said:

Who better to design a bass for women than a female bass player? I'd be interested in seeing designs :)

I was waiting for that. I wouldn't remotely know where to start. I'd be happy to make initial suggestionsto experts,  and test prototypes; then again, they'd have to be lefties, wouldn't they? More hornets being stirred as we speak... 😮

• Haha 1

There’s no info on the volume of sales. Women maybe buying more, but overall,are sales up or down? Gibson going bankrupt suggests the market is febrile.

It seems that fewer people are interested in guitar bands or watch local gigs. 

I guess it’s why we do it. My daughter loves listening to me play guitar, and I’ve recently bought a guitar for my nieces. If they get some pleasure from it, that’s all that matters.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

I think a short scale Warwick Thumb would be boob / small person friendly. It has a small ergonomic body, and without the long neck there would be no neck dive issues either, which would fix that old problem too. I have no boobs but I am short, if Warwick made a short scale Thumb I would be digging into my savings. Always wanted a Thumb, never got on with the long neck though.

14 hours ago, project_c said:

Never heard of her so I had a look, she’s pretty cheesy compared to the kind of kids Fender are showcasing tbh. Having a token shiny female in the corner is a very different approach. But i’d be interested in seeing the stats, if Gibson / EB’s demographic is also 50/50 then fair play.

That's a bit dismissive and very debatable dependent on individual taste 🤔 I think it's a bit more than that as well - she designed the guitar with them so it's a true signature instrument - designed by a woman - also quite an iconic act. They've done pretty cool versions of it as well. It's quite high profile as well, surprised you'd not heard of it. 

There were rumours of a short scale bass version at some stage. 

The 50/50 I believe includes acoustics - although Gibson has iconic acoustics, Fender really hasn't and many other manufacturers don't even do them (PRS, EBMM etc etc). If I was in the market for an acoustic, Fender would not be the first to come to mind. Are they really trying to compete with the likes of Taylor and Martin, Takamine etc? 

Electrics are a completely different story as the Strat is one of the most iconic guitars.