Why become a member? ×

NAD - More Trace Elliot Content...

discreet

On 06/11/2018 at 13:40, discreet said:

Update: Well here's a thing. I've been using the Trace Combo for every rehearsal and gig since I got it, and I love it and everything about it - so do the band. Last rehearsal went particularly well and I silently congratulated myself on a great choice of amp, then patted myself on the back for really getting to grips with the legendary Trace Graphic EQ. Only... when I got home I realised the graphic circuit had been switched out for the entire rehearsal. :$

So Trace made their amps to sound best completely flat, played live in a band setting. Who knew? This would explain why the manual would have you make only very small changes to the graphic sliders, and not move too far away from 0db! O.o Every day's a school day...

I've done that too!  Thought what a great sound then realised that everything was left 'out' :facepalm:Oh well, a great sound is a great sound, no matter how you get to it.

36 minutes ago, Deedee said:

I've done that too!  Thought what a great sound then realised that everything was left 'out' :facepalm:Oh well, a great sound is a great sound, no matter how you get to it.

Yeah, it really makes you wonder, doesn't it? All these decades chasing a 'sound' when in fact it's all in your head - how you sound live is largely down to how everyone else sounds and how good they are at what they do.

You can get chronic GAS, spend thousands on gear and attempt to get the 'best' bass tone in the world, but it's all for nothing if your drummer can't play in time, your singer's falling-down drunk, or your guitarist routinely deafens everyone in the room.

If your drummer is really on it and they and the other members of the band know how to play quietly and tastefully and listen to each other, you've got half a chance - and what's more, it won't matter if you're playing a Harley Benton Jazz through a Behringer combo, you will sound great.

Edited by discreet
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, discreet said:

Yeah, it really makes you wonder, doesn't it? All these decades chasing a 'sound' when in fact it's all in your head - how you sound live is largely down to how everyone else sounds and how good they are at what they do.

You can get chronic GAS, spend thousands on gear and attempt to get the 'best' bass tone in the world, but it's all for nothing if your drummer can't play in time, your singer's falling-down drunk, or your guitarist routinely deafens everyone in the room.

If your drummer is really on it and they and the other members of the band know how to play quietly and tastefully and listen to each other, you've got half a chance - and what's more, it won't matter if you're playing a Harley Benton Jazz through a Behringer combo, you will sound great.

With more than 3 decades of playing and gigging behind me I've started to come to the exact same conclusion myself over the past couple of years. And I dread to think how much I've blew on bass gear in that time too :|

But let's keep this to ourselves, eh? Otherwise Basschat will implode within minutes :ph34r:

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Osiris said:

...let's keep this to ourselves, eh? Otherwise Basschat will implode within minutes  :ph34r:

OK, you're on - but no-one will believe it's down to whether you can actually play or not - otherwise why would so much gear be available?? If everyone was perfectly happy with a Bitsa bass and an old Trace combo, there'd be anarchy! The bass gear industry would collapse! And nothing would be good for metal!

Edited by discreet

I've gone off GAS thanks to our guitarist, he's always changing guitars and amps, never happy and you know what?, he always sounds the same to me, so I'm thinking what's the point? unless it's a quantum leap you'll always sound like you, so I'm sticking with my TE and Precision bass

• Like 1

Just now, PaulWarning said:

I've gone off GAS thanks to our guitarist, he's always changing guitars and amps, never happy and you know what?, he always sounds the same to me, so I'm thinking what's the point? unless it's a quantum leap you'll always sound like you, so I'm sticking with my TE and Precision bass

Good move. But maybe this avenue of thought needs a new thread. One which will probably get me banned! :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

I just bought this combo off @discreet

Managed to try it this afternoon for a bit. 

Why isn’t this rated in some sort of Richter scale? 

Input gain at about 7 - no clipping. Into the active input as I used the ACG with east Preamp. 

Master at 1.5 cos it’s just our music room. Loud. Low B was tight and defined. Slipped the East bass boost on. Mrs B was upstairs and came down and said “WTF is that?? It’s making me feel sick up there with the vibrations!!!”

:D

I’m going to like this amp....

• Like 2

I have a mobile app for EQing devices, be they Bluetooth or physically connected.

It delivers test tones at 32, 64, 125, 250, 500, 1k, 2k, 4k, 8k and 16k. You adjust the level at each frequency until you just can't hear it- a personal flat response if you like.

I ran it through my Trace in-room with the amp EQ off, reproduced the curve the app gave me on the Trace EQ and switched on the EQ..

One of the best bass sounds I've achieved.

Not only "flat" but it had compensated for the room's influence and the response of the cabs in that environment.

I'd recommend it at home.

But I think bandmates and sound engineers would hate you if you did it live/ at rehearsal!