Why become a member? ×

NAD - More Trace Elliot Content...

discreet

1 hour ago, JohnDaBass said:

Love that bass. Pup positioning must provide oodles of tone. Any chance of more details? 

I bought it with the neck pup installed, which is a vintage Schaller Bassbucker ( think it's called the 232 ) and it also came with a  Schaller P for the bridge pup, but i changed that for a Dimarzio for a bit more growl. The neck is a Peavey , very skinny, lovely accurate fretting. The body - no idea  :)

I love the bass. I play this more than my Overwater.

20 minutes ago, fleabag said:

Dear Cliff !

Mine would sound as thin as a one egg omelette with no graphic .

Mine would be booming all over the place with yours, shows the value of a good EQ

maybe we should start a new thread, "show us your Trace EQ setting" 😊

edit, mines not always that flat depends on the room, but I always have the 30 and 40Hz sliders right down

Edited by PaulWarning

I tried setting my EQ to compensate for the room modes/response by plugging my mobile into it and running a series of test tones and dialing up a "flat" sounding curve.

I then reproduced this on the amp's sliders.

Works rather well. 

You then just tinker with the instrument EQ and (perhaps) the EQ balance and compressor (SMX owners) to make any desired tonal adjustments.

Edited by Lfalex v1.1

• 3 weeks later...

Update: Well here's a thing. I've been using the Trace Combo for every rehearsal and gig since I got it, and I love it and everything about it - so do the band. Last rehearsal went particularly well and I silently congratulated myself on a great choice of amp, then patted myself on the back for really getting to grips with the legendary Trace Graphic EQ. Only... when I got home I realised the graphic circuit had been switched out for the entire rehearsal. :$

So Trace made their amps to sound best completely flat, played live in a band setting. Who knew? This would explain why the manual would have you make only very small changes to the graphic sliders, and not move too far away from 0db! O.o Every day's a school day...

• Like 1

This revelation kind of makes the whole Trace thing very easy. Plug in bass. Switch on amp. Make sure Pre-Shape is off. Make sure Graphic Circuit is off. Turn up Input volume to max. Turn up Master volume to '2'. Play. It took me more than forty years, but I got there in the end. xD

Edited by discreet
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, discreet said:

This revelation kind of makes the whole Trace thing very easy. Plug in bass. Switch on amp. Make sure Pre-Shape is off. Make sure Graphic Circuit is off. Turn up Input volume to max. Turn up Master volume to '2'. Play. It took me more than forty years, but I got there in the end. xD

I always thought you were meant to turn input volume up to “just below where it starts to clip” - or is full on with clipping part of the successful formula?

4 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

I always thought you were meant to turn input volume up to “just below where it starts to clip” - or is full on with clipping part of the successful formula?

In my case, turning the Input volume to max IS 'just below where it starts to clip'. I get a very occasional red clip light at that point, or just below it. These amps seem to like a lot of Input level, much like Ashdowns do. Obviously if you use a preamp or an active bass you'd need a lower setting.

7 minutes ago, discreet said:

In my case, turning the Input volume to max IS 'just below where it starts to clip'. I get a very occasional red clip light at that point, or just below it. These amps seem to like a lot of Input level, much like Ashdowns do. Obviously if you use a preamp or an active bass you'd need a lower setting.

That’s interesting - didn’t know they had a higher input level. I must admit on most amps I have used I find keeping eq flat or off to provide the best tonal performance. 

18 minutes ago, discreet said:

Wait - what??

No bragging rights for TE gear unless accompanied by a picture of the owner wearing a waistcoat and executing a LUNGE manoeuvre with their bass in front of said TE rig - preferably in a conservatory. You'll find this hidden in the site rules.*

*But only if you're off your face on Toilet Duck.

19 minutes ago, JapanAxe said:

No bragging rights for TE gear unless accompanied by a picture of the owner wearing a waistcoat and executing a LUNGE manoeuvre with their bass in front of said TE rig - preferably in a conservatory. You'll find this hidden in the site rules.*

*But only if you're off your face on Toilet Duck.

Oh Yes, I remember that pic. But I don't have a waistcoat. Or any Toilet Duck.

7 hours ago, discreet said:

Very interesting Mark, I do use a preamp so have to back off the input gain on my Ashdown ABM600 a good bit, but to get the best sound I have to be hitting the red in that VU meter, much like what you describe above.

8 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Very interesting Mark, I do use a preamp so have to back off the input gain on my Ashdown ABM600 a good bit, but to get the best sound I have to be hitting the red in that VU meter, much like what you describe above.

Mr Clive Button is largely responsible for both the Trace and Ashdown designs, so that may have some bearing on it...

http://www.clivebutton.com/

Edited by discreet
  • Like 1