Why become a member? ×

Humble instruments that 'make the song'

Barking Spiders

On 19/10/2018 at 10:33, jacko said:

Not cowbell but Northumbrian pipes.  Kathryn Tickell's contribution to sting's 'Fields of gold' raise the song beyond ordinary. Eva Cassidy's version is just 'MEH' in comparison. 

Humble? A full set of Northumbrian small pipes costs thousands of pounds and takes many years to learn to play. I saw her band earlier this year and they were superb, I'd take that over Sting any day of the week.

• Like 2

On 20/10/2018 at 00:39, skankdelvar said:

Hendrix doubling his guitar solo in Crosstown Traffic with a comb and paper. Fact.

Here's a bloke playing Oh Suzanna on a comb and paper which is obvs not Purple Haze but you get the drift.

Tsk! Come come now old chap - you can do better than that :D

It wasn’t a comb and paper but a comb and cellophane that Jimi improvised a Kazoo with..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pete.young said:

Humble? A full set of Northumbrian small pipes costs thousands of pounds and takes many years to learn to play. I saw her band earlier this year and they were superb, I'd take that over Sting any day of the week.

I've been a fan for years from first seeing her play in Northumberland before I left home around 1995 but I've been a small pipes fan since I was at school - my art teacher's son, David Burleigh was one of our local makers and he came to school a few times to give demonstrations.  

5 hours ago, pete.young said:

Yes indeed. Most definitely they not qualify as being humble neither in terms of price nor in the level of skill needed! Viz my OP other than the glorious cowbell some other suggestions for humble instruments have been mentioned e.g. claves, vibraslap, triangle. I'm also thinking of cabasas, guiros, kazoos, tin whistles,  shaky eggs,  tambourines,  shekeres etc

On 20/10/2018 at 00:47, drTStingray said:

Another shout for the humble cow bell. One of the bands I play in covers this - we didn't realise what was missing until the singer added the cow bell!! Low Rider - War (and the You Tube link won't embed so you have click on it 🤔

https://youtu.be/WeKw6c9aTJ0

Agree, although my favourite is the Exodus version.

21 minutes ago, skankdelvar said:

The Eddie Cochran hit C'mon Everybody featured his manager Jerry Capehart playing 'drums' on a cardboard box.

723719611_cardboardbox.jpg.efd4eb16adc8755e99797d9844e39b5a.jpg

A cardboard box: prob not the one used in the C'mon Everybody session

Expect to see it for sale on ebay at some point...

• Haha 1

Two for the price of one here: some feet and a broken bottle.

Story goes that Keith couldn't come up with anything to go over what is, essentially, a John Lee Hooker-style stomping blues before the chorus kicks in, so they settled for some footstomps and a few cymbal washes. Perhaps ironically for a Who song, I think it works better this way - I can't really imagine it working with the usual cascade of toms and cymbals that served their other songs so well.

• Like 1