Why become a member? ×

Humble instruments that 'make the song'

Barking Spiders

1 hour ago, Steve Browning said:

The triangle in Everlasting Love.

One of my favourite 60's pop tunes, and also one of those rare occasions when I prefer the cover to the original ( by Robert Knight ) although please let's not even go there for the Jamie Cullum racket...

The Love Affair's version is an absolute classic - great vocal from a 17 year old Steve Ellis, with an interesting bassline and brass arrangement too. Fab drums at the triangle bit as well. Apparently the rest of the band didn't play on the hit , CBS used session musicians instead to create a classic recording. 

Another shout for the humble cow bell. One of the bands I play in covers this - we didn't realise what was missing until the singer added the cow bell!! Low Rider - War (and the You Tube link won't embed so you have click on it 🤔

https://youtu.be/WeKw6c9aTJ0

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 2

The whistle in 'Hundred MIle High City" by Ocean Colour Scene - only lasts for a bar or 2 nut it lifts the song and gives it a sense of urgency.

Also, the bagpipes on 'It's A Long Way To The Top If You Wanna Rock n Roll" by AC/DC.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Steve Browning said:

The triangle in Everlasting Love.

Ah I think I particularly remember a bit with that - everything stops and the solo triangle beat introduces a broken down orchestral lead in (there's probably a technical term for this) prior to the full blown chorus play out. 

Clever these sessions guys 😏 although the band itself and singer were pretty good as well. What a great song and fabulous arrangement. 

Theres a recent Basschat thread with reference to the sessions guys - the bassist was not Herbie Flowers but another guy whose name escapes me.... drummer was Clem Cattini. 

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, drTStingray said:

Ah I think I particularly remember a bit with that - everything stops and the solo triangle beat introduces a broken down orchestral lead in (there's probably a technical term for this) prior to the full blown chorus play out. 

Clever these sessions guys 😏 although the band itself and singer were pretty good as well. What a great song and fabulous arrangement. 

Theres a recent Basschat thread with reference to the sessions guys - the bassist was not Herbie Flowers but another guy whose name escapes me.... drummer was Clem Cattini. 

Russ Stableford.

On 19/10/2018 at 09:46, MoonBassAlpha said:

The vibra-slap is great too, just can't think of any examples off hand.  

I bought a vibra-slap just to show my son what one was, and how it's used, after he heard one after the, "for cheap easy meals" line in Elton John's "Captain Fantastic And The Brown Dirt Cowboy" track.

20181020_131351.jpg

How about the humble whistle? Not an instrument per se, but then not a vocal either. Very prominent on the Scorpions' Wind Of Change, Roxy's Jealous Guy and The Seekers' wonderful Georgy Girl.

On 19/10/2018 at 09:29, Hobbayne said:

Honky Tonk Women starts of with a cowbell. Best bit of the song. 😂

Second best. The actual best bit is where the needle lifts off the record at the end. :lol:

6 hours ago, Rich said:

Very prominent on the Scorpions' Wind Of Change, Roxy's Jealous Guy and The Seekers' wonderful Georgy Girl.

The ne plus ultra of whistling songs must be 'I Was Kaiser Bill's Batman' performed by Mr Whistling Jack Smith. The clue - as ever - is in his name: