Why become a member? ×

Humble instruments that 'make the song'

Barking Spiders

Classic rock isn't my bag  but there are a few tunes I've got time for; Hey You & You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet (BTO), Don't Fear The Reaper, Art for Art's Sake (10cc) , Sweet Emotion,  Clampdown (Clash), You Fool No One (Deep Purple), Ladies Night in Buffalo (Dave Lee Roth) and Dr Feelgood (Motley Crue). What links these together? Is it the guitar riffs? Nah. The basslines ? no way Jose? The drumming? who cares. The vocals? as if! What then?...the cowbell of course!  Without the mighty cowbell these songs would be lacking the vital spark. So, surely there are more tunes where the cowbell bit is what you wait for! Maybe there are some tunes which are 'made' by claves clacking away in the background or the maraccas a-shakin ? 

• Like 1

The cowbell in Beefheart's Sun Zoom Spark really  makes it for me. More frantic than most cowbell cotributions. 

Less frantic,  but  nicely placed  is the  cowbell on The Mooney Suzuki's Alive and Amplified.

The vibra-slap is great too, just can't think of any examples off hand.  

42 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

Supreme cowbelling here and the drumming ain't half bad too boot. Actually when I was much younger Ian Paice was the main reason I used to listen to DP.

I do feel like Paice gets massively underrated as a drummer. I suppose, just as Zeppelin overshadowed Purple as a whole in terms of popularity, so Bonham overshadowed Paice - which seems as a shame, as Bonham's playing doesn't really do it for me, but Paice's playing always seemed to be on the money.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I love Paice's drumming too. Some of the seemingly throw away fills he chucks in almost effortlessly are just sublime. Gonna sit on the fence a bit and say I love Bonham too. Equally brilliant and unique IMHO.

He's a funny one, is Bonzo: I can see why people like him, and I can admire his playing from a technical point of view. Just something about his feel which seems a bit leaden (ledden?) to me. But then I have always preferred the jazz-trained drummers like Baker, Mitchell, Densmore, etc., so perhaps I prefer Paice's more relaxed feel.

(Incidentally, are there any Grand Magus fans on here? Their current drummer - or whichever one played on The Hunt - sounds almost exactly like Paice...at least when he's not doing the double-kick stuff.)