Why become a member? ×

Artificial rosewood, any good?

SH73

I'm struggling to buy a reasonably priced rosewood strat neck replacement as all suppliers are out of stock. Something to do with rosewood restrictions etc.

However I found plenty necks with artificial rosewood. Are these any good? I'm sure ine of my guitar has got it as the fretboard feels artificial but also feels great to play.

OK - the update.

I think @scrumpymike will be doing a more detailed post but on Thursday I went to the Gillett Guitars workshop to see the progress on their brand new 6-string mahogany electro-acoustic range...and to see the one they've made for me in the equally brand new Rocklite Sundari.

I may be wrong, but I think this is one of the first guitars made from the material using it for not only back and sides (there are some of those around) but also the top as well.

So the top, back, sides and fingerboard of this is a man-made wood:

IMG_1155.thumb.JPG.6357b3c4f72d8228c06a89b7397798b3.JPG

IMG_1157.thumb.JPG.f8da8648f272e4cce1f24323182a46b4.JPG

IMG_1159.thumb.JPG.1223385d0481d32cc5f62e443a6a9ae6.JPG

The two cutaways are carved walnut blocks but the rest is Rocklite.  Just look at the grain where it's been sanded into the cutaway!  As most of you know, I work with wood - but I would never have known this is not natural if no-one had told me.

The guitar, by the way, sounds GREAT!

Everyone is keen to know how Rocklite fares in real use and I am very happily going to be Gillett Guitars' guinea-pig on this one.

This guitar, and examples of the new standard mahogany versions of the 6-string, along with their equally amazing basses are going to be at the Kempton Park guitar show this coming weekend.  If you're at the show, drop into Gillett's stand - but don't leave drool marks on the guitar! :lol:  I'm typically in Aberdeen that weekend (grandfather duties) but get my sticky mitts on it soon after :)

Can't wait!

• Like 1