Why become a member? ×

All my bass plugins sound awfull in reaper (laptop)

erik.leroy

Goodevening everyone,

I don't know what to do: All my bass plugins sound awfull in reaper (I have a lenovo laptop). I've tried dozens of bass plugins and they sound, wel... crap. I recently downloaded Ample bass P Lite II, it sounded great on a youtube tutorial but on my laptop it sounds awfull. I spent hours trying to fix it, but I'm no daw wizzkid (i'm a historian...).  Is it my hardware? Can someone please please help me? I'll mow your lawn.

Erik

Your computer or DAW (in this case Reaper) will have zero effect on the tone of anything. 

And so, I suspect, as someone else has mentioned, that you’re playing it through soeakers/headphones that are less than optimal?!

Si

Edited by Sibob

Ample Bass P Lite II, is a VSTi. It’s a Sampled Bass (unless you mean something else).

Are you using that and not live Bass?

Because if you are, it’s ok but nothing special, you will get a better sound using a real Bass Guitar.

Edited by lowdown

1 hour ago, project_c said:

Can you post a recording of your dry signal and your effected signal pls? Probably something simple but difficult to suggest anything useful unless we can hear what’s happening.

This is a fragment. But i do not know what  my dry or my effecte signal is.I don't know how it'll sound from your side.

03-181018_2342.rpp

9 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

What sort of awful do you mean? Thin and weedy, hissy, etc? DOes the original sound ok. How does the bass get into the laptop in the first place?

Something between plastic and metallic awfull The original on youtube sounded way better. I downloaded it as a vst plugin

12 minutes ago, lowdown said:

Ample bass P Lite II, is a VSTi. It’s a Sampled Bass.

Are you using that and not live Bass?

Because if you are, it’s ok but nothing special, you will get a better sound using a real Bass Guitar.

I know, but i not much of a musician.

3 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Erik...

All the notes played have a velocity maxed out in thta project (as if hitting the strings with a hammer, really...). Reduce the velocity (I set them to 80, for instance...), and it sounds much better.

I'll give it a try right away thx

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, erik.leroy said:

8 minutes ago, erik.leroy said:

Sounds better already, merci!

I'v also noticed on the vst interface that on this particular piece all the notes are played on the first string... making it high pitched of course. Wonder why. Maybe i'll have to rewrite some parts

9 minutes ago, erik.leroy said:

3 hours ago, erik.leroy said:

Goodevening everyone,

I don't know what to do: All my bass plugins sound awfull in reaper (I have a lenovo laptop). I've tried dozens of bass plugins and they sound, wel... crap. I recently downloaded Ample bass P Lite II, it sounded great on a youtube tutorial but on my laptop it sounds awfull. I spent hours trying to fix it, but I'm no daw wizzkid (i'm a historian...).  Is it my hardware? Can someone please please help me? I'll mow your lawn.

Erik

2 hours ago, skidder652003 said:

what are you playing them back in, headphones? PC speakers??

laptops aren't the best for DAW production TBH

1 hour ago, project_c said:

Can you post a recording of your dry signal and your effected signal pls? Probably something simple but difficult to suggest anything useful unless we can hear what’s happening.

15 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

If you don't know how to do that, we can try a step by step 'walk-through'.

4 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Try this one...

03-181018_2342_2.rpp

Sound much better than mine. What's the secret? The velocity?

7 minutes ago, erik.leroy said:

...What's the secret? The velocity?

For the sound itself, yes, but also the choice of notes. Use the lower register (E2 up to E3 on the 'piano roll', for instance...), for the fundamental bass tones, and the higher registers for melodic runs or such.
What kind (style...) of music are you wanting to produce..?

Edited by Dad3353

Thank you for the advice. it was definitely the fact tha I only used the higher register. I'll fix that the coming days.

I had a four piece rock band, but I had to throw the bassplayer and drummer out because they weren't too involved anymore... so i'm trying to replace them with a DAW t's frustrating! I'm very glad I ran into you, dad.

Now i'm off to sleep

Goodnight and thank you again