Why become a member? ×

Yet another band dilemma!

The59Sound

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

Some of that is harsh but true.

However for an originals project 4 months to write and release 9 songs isn't unreasonable (depending on the songs of course).

For the majority of new originals bands a handful of 25-30 minute support slots would the way to ease into gigging. No one is going to want to see an unknown band band with unfamiliar songs playing for any longer.

IME originals bands don't need a PA. The venues they play nearly always have them. In the last 10 years of gigging with originals bands I have done less than a handful of gigs at venues that didn't have an in-house PA and engineer to drive it.

Regarding PAs, in the States you have to pay the sound guy. Usually an originals club will have 3 bands on the bill. The 3 bands will pool their money to pay tgesound guy. These bands leave the gig with less money than they had when they arrived at the gig.

I understand original bands are not in this for the money, but gigging should not be an expense.

Blue

7 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

You simply need to sit and think about what you want from a band and base your decision on that.

Hopefully it works out for you.

Dave

That's excellent advice.

And once you decide or figure out your passion and what you want to do, be prepared to make a few compromises.

Blue

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, The59Sound said:

We haven't played one gig yet but who the hell is going to want to see an unknown originals band perform two hours of material?!

I did it for yrs in various originals power trios and sets back then were either two 45min sets or a full 90min set. That was the standard times back then. These days i would expect to see an originals band do a full set list if i'm paying money to see them and i do regularly.

If the band is good and can entertain then it shouldn't be a problem

I've done power trios, rock and Prog rock originals bands over the years and we always aimed for a 2 hr set list. People don't want to pay money for a short 30-45min set unless there are more bands on the same night.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

38 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

Regarding PAs, in the States you have to pay the sound guy. Usually an originals club will have 3 bands on the bill. The 3 bands will pool their money to pay tgesound guy. These bands leave the gig with less money than they had when they arrived at the gig.

I understand original bands are not in this for the money, but gigging should not be an expense.

Blue

Most decent venues over here have their own PA and Sound guy and if really lucky he knows what he's doing but he doesn't get paid from your money altho some venues you hire the hall and take the door money. Sound guy is usually just like any other member of staff on the night.

So different from how you guys have to operate. No wonder bands are dying off in US Everyone wants a piece of the action over there and it'l get to a point it won't be worthwhile.

Dave

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The59Sound said:

We haven't played one gig yet but who the hell is going to want to see an unknown originals band perform two hours of material?!

You have sort of answered your own question there.

Your only option with 9 songs as others have suggested is to do support slots.

If your songs average 5 minutes long, you still only have 45 minutes of material, I couldn’t foresee any venue just booking you as the only band as it would not fill the evening.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, The59Sound said:

Kindly stick to managing your own band, please. You're starting to sound like the drunk punter who gives you tips on how to play. 

You asked the questions, what should I do, what would you do.

No need to get arsy when you get a realistic response.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Most decent venues over here have their own PA and Sound guy and if really lucky he knows what he's doing but he doesn't get paid from your money altho some venues you hire the hall and take the door money. Sound guy is usually just like any other member of staff on the night.

So different from how you guys have to operate. No wonder bands are dying off in US Everyone wants a piece of the action over there and it'l get to a point it won't be worthwhile.

Dave

Yes, it is changing. It's no fun playing low energy rooms.

I don't think even the few Milwaukee originals clubs are doing " door money" anymore. These clubs are located right by the University Of Wisconsin. Those kids don't have any money.

Money at the door doesn't work until your a professional signed regional or national act. And they struggle too.

Many of the bars and clubs that provided local rock bands with work,  are no longer providing live music.

However, summers in the Midwest can be great because of the amount of lucrattive festivals and fairs. We had a great summer, but fall bookings for us are weak.

Didn't mean to hi-jack the thread with " me syndrome".

Blue

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 1

I reckon it's stage fright/confidence. The drummer is not buying the cymbals because to do so removes his 'excuse' and the singer is saying the band isn't ready because he doesn't feel ready.

As for what you do, you probably need to weigh up how they'd respond to you going ahead and booking a gig. They're going to stick with their excuses and so I reckon it's whether or not they'll pull out if a gig is actually on the horizon.

Personally, I think your only hope here is to book the gig and see what happens. You're in a Mexican stand off until then.

Around here half an hour is ideal, you could do a set with another couple of bands on a new originals night and that would be fine. But you have to book that gig.It isn't unusual however for those sort of gigs to change band list quite a lot in the last few days where people realise that it is getting real and drop out.

• Like 1