Why become a member? ×

Yet another band dilemma!

The59Sound

What would you do?

I joined an originals band (power trio) at the start of the year and we started rehearsing the first week of February. We recorded in June and the EP went live start of July. We have also set up various social media and had a photoshoot, all done around the same time. Four months on though and we are still yet to gig. It will be at least another month because the drummer does not own a 'full' kit and needs to rent cymbals every time we rehearse. He has said he will buy cymbals come start of November. We have a nine song set but the guitarist said he still thinks we're not ready to gig. We have been rehearsing the same set once a week for four months.

I'm at my wits end - I feel we just rehearse for the sake of it now with no end goal. We don't have any gigs lined up and that's the reason we recorded the EP, to get gigs! What should I do? What would you do? 

27 minutes ago, The59Sound said:

What should I do? What would you do?

At the next rehearsal, tell them that you want to start gigging. If your guitarist thinks you're not ready to gig, then ask him what he thinks you need to do to get to that stage. Either his answer will be something solid that you can work on, which is great, or something handwavy, in which case you walk.

What's the background for the drummer and guitarist? Have they been in gigging bands before? Are you sure that they're actually interested in gigging at all? It may be that really they're happy with things the way they are, but feel that they need to be elusive with you otherwise you'll leave.

S.P.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Stylon Pilson said:

At the next rehearsal, tell them that you want to start gigging. If your guitarist thinks you're not ready to gig, then ask him what he thinks you need to do to get to that stage. Either his answer will be something solid that you can work on, which is great, or something handwavy, in which case you walk.

What's the background for the drummer and guitarist? Have they been in gigging bands before? Are you sure that they're actually interested in gigging at all? It may be that really they're happy with things the way they are, but feel that they need to be elusive with you otherwise you'll leave.

S.P.

I forgot to mention - we had a venue get in touch with us to play a gig next Friday. That's when drummer said he needs cymbals still (had since June to sort this) and guitarist said he still doesn't know all the lyrics to the songs (lyrics he wrote). 

Neither of them have gigged before but both have said they want to. That being said, I have had to push them both to get in touch with venues. I feel as if I'm the only one who really wants to gig atm...

1 minute ago, The59Sound said:

I forgot to mention - we had a venue get in touch with us to play a gig next Friday. That's when drummer said he needs cymbals still (had since June to sort this) and guitarist said he still doesn't know all the lyrics to the songs (lyrics he wrote). 

The drummer can hire / borrow / beg them, the guitarist can put them on an iPad and read them out - jobs done.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The59Sound said:

Neither of them have gigged before but both have said they want to. That being said, I have had to push them both to get in touch with venues. I feel as if I'm the only one who really wants to gig atm...

Sounds like they are both getting stage fright and are trying to come up with excuses.

S.P.

• Like 1

I've been in a similar position a couple of times; start-up originals bands, reluctant to take that first step.

My solution was to go to a local open mic (that accepts full bands and if possible has back line and drum bits) and pop the cherry. I worked my local contact with the organiser of one to get 30 mins.

I did this with a band I've since left who have recorded two CDs and play medium sized festivals. They still talk gratefully to me about 'that time you made us play at the open mic when we didn't feel ready' 

However, if people really haven't got the stomach to play in public......well you know the answer really.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Get a gig booked so you have a target. Otherwise it is easy to put off.

I personally wouldn't be in them any more, as I would have got bored, but if you can't gig after this time you never will be ready, so get it booked.

That's what I've been trying to do for the last couple months but then both of them turn around and feel pressured into playing a gig to appease me! Not my words!

I know a few musicians who'd rather have a theoretical band with a social media profile and pictures of themselves that they can talk about to impress* people than actually get out there and gig. I wouldn't waste my time with them.

* for a given value of 'impress', obv...

• Like 2

Depends on what you want.

If you want to gig you should give them your notice and find an established band that has gigs booked. If your not that interested in gigging stay with them.

Are there gigs in your area for an originals power trio? In my area there are no gigs for any originals band no less a power trio.

For guys that are looking to gig there's only two question to ask a band before joining.

1. How many gigs did the band play last year?

2. How many gigs are on the books right now?

I'm also hoping you are young guys otherwise a drummer without a proper kit is a huge "red flag".

Blue

Edited by Bluewine

14 minutes ago, Stylon Pilson said:

Sounds like they are both getting stage fright and are trying to come up with excuses.

S.P.

Definitely more than an element of this, I reckon. The only way they're going to banish the nerves is to just do it. Definitely time for a cards-on-the-table talk with them. Tell them how it felt before and after YOUR first gig, the relief and elation. Tell them you're booking a gig because that's the whole bloody point, that you aren't going to be made to feel guilty over any imagined pressurisation, and that a band that farts around practicing but never gigs is not what you signed up for. Only maybe say it a bit nicer than that :lol:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Muzz said:

I know a few musicians who'd rather have a theoretical band with a social media profile and pictures of themselves that they can talk about to impress* people than actually get out there and gig. I wouldn't waste my time with them.

* for a given value of 'impress', obv...

I was in a band like that.

Great sounding band great material. I soon figured out the leader only wanted to play " rock star' in his basement. 

It's where I learned my lesson and focused on what I was looking for in a band. Paying gigs and lots of them.

Blue

Edited by Bluewine

It will probably be a good 3 months before you are gigging. So start by booking yourself up some gigs now. In the mean time pop along to some local jam nights as a band. I have done this. Very valuable. Film it too so you can pop it on your website/social media to make yourselves look busier than you actually are. As said before, it will help overcome nerves too and iron out/flag up any weak spots too. 

Edited by pbasspecial
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, The59Sound said:

That's what I've been trying to do for the last couple months but then both of them turn around and feel pressured into playing a gig to appease me! Not my words!

Well, frankly, they should feel pressured into doing it, it has been the best part of the year.

All the delays are just excuses, and yes, it is stressful going on stage the first time as a group but it doesn't get easier until you have done it, and conversely it gets more stressful the more you think about it. If you cant do it soon, you will never be able to do it, and at that point, yes, people are right, you have to decide if it is what you want.

As my wife would say with these things, its really time to fosters or get off the pot :D

If you are wishing to gig, it sounds to me like you could be wasting time and effort with this band.

A drummer without symbols beggars belief.

Four months rehearsing just 9 songs.

In our area you would have zero chance of getting a gig with only 9 songs, unless it was a support slot to another band.

Does the band have a PA?

I cannot answer your question as what you should do, I would personally walk and hopefully find some other musicians with gigging experience to work with, life is too short.

Sorry if this sounds a bit harsh, but reality sometimes has to kick in.

Edited by steantval
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, steantval said:

If you are wishing to gig, it sounds to me like you could be wasting time and effort with this band.

A drummer without symbols beggars belief.

Four months rehearsing just 9 songs.

In our area you would have zero chance of getting a gig with only 9 songs, unless it was a support slot to another band.

Does the band have a PA?

I cannot answer your question as what you should do, I would personally walk and hopefully find some other musicians with gigging experience to work with, life is too short.

Sorry if this sounds a bit harsh, but reality sometimes has to kick in.

Some of that is harsh but true.

However for an originals project 4 months to write and release 9 songs isn't unreasonable (depending on the songs of course).

For the majority of new originals bands a handful of 25-30 minute support slots would the way to ease into gigging. No one is going to want to see an unknown band band with unfamiliar songs playing for any longer.

IME originals bands don't need a PA. The venues they play nearly always have them. In the last 10 years of gigging with originals bands I have done less than a handful of gigs at venues that didn't have an in-house PA and engineer to drive it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

How many cymbals does a drummer need? Hats, crash and a ride, that's the job done. Use basic tools until you feel you can afford, justify or even need more. Decent cymbals can be bought quite cheaply now and even economy brands are certainly better than they were in the past or at least better than no cymbals at all. He has to hire cymbals in? What's all that about? I've never heard of such goings on. This would not happen in any Northern town. Sounds like a load of old bollox to me. He may have delusions of grandeur! They usually have. 🥁 :lol:

Maybe the singer is delusional about being a singer too if he can't remember his own lyrics after that length of time. That would be about 8 months since you started the project? If he can't remember them by now, he is either not cut out to be a singer, the songs could be too long and/or full of pretentious philosophical nonsense that no-one but he can understand anyway or, he is a goldfish.

Seriously though, it sounds like they are scared to me. Well, maybe the drummers doing a drummer thing and trying not to let the girlfriend know that he needs to actually buy something for a change! 😂

Good advice in above posts though. Book a gig, get a target and you will hopefully find that the rest will get themselves together. If they don't, you have the answer to your OP.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, itsmedunc said:

How many cymbals does a drummer need? Hats, crash and a ride, that's the job done...

Taken just now from Ebay.co.uk, used, 'BIN', with approximate postage costs. I've not selected on make, just availability, but not damaged, of course...

Hi-hat £20
HH Stand £15
2 x Cymbal stands £30
20" Ride £25
16" Crash £25

Total £115

There are also packs of 'beginner' cymbals starting at £20 or so. Is that expensive as a 'get you going' deal..?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dad3353 said:

Taken just now from Ebay.co.uk, used, 'BIN', with approximate postage costs. I've not selected on make, just availability, but not damaged, of course...

Hi-hat £20
HH Stand £15
2 x Cymbal stands £30
20" Ride £25
16" Crash £25

Total £115

There are also packs of 'beginner' cymbals starting at £20 or so. Is that expensive as a 'get you going' deal..?

I wonder how much he pays to hire?

9 songs in an originals power trio doesn't seem enough to gig with. You need to be looking at 2hrs worth of material to gig unless its a support act or a shared gig with other bands.

I normally allow 6mths to get a start up band gigging. I'll wait a year if the band are excellent and i'm enjoying it enough but if no sign of arranging gigs or preparing for it you have to ask yourself if its what you really want from a band.

My current band is about 8mths into rehearsing altho its been a very inconsistent rehearsal regime due to other band comitments from them. That was made clear at start of the year that they had bookings with other bands and we would need to work around that until bookings are clear and slowed down a bit.

You simply need to sit and think about what you want from a band and base your decision on that.

Hopefully it works out for you.

Dave

• Like 1