Why become a member? ×

Helix - envelope filter?

tonyclaret

1 hour ago, GisserD said:

I've had my helix HX now for a few months. I never found a filter I liked. That's why I kept my manta and BEF on the board. 

I will look at the settings above with interest tho! Thanks

Interesting thread. I've been reliably informed by our Helix experts, including @fretmeister, that it's not nailed the synth and envelope filter effects (which is actually fair enough, they're pretty darned tricky to nail really well even for dedicated pedals). So when the HX Stomp eventually lands (hopefully before year end), like GisserD I was planning on holding on to my Panda FI (for synth) and MXR BEF and SA Manta.

Be very interested to hear @HazBeen and @Dood's thoughts on this topic, too.

From my experiments with Native, I got some good results from the auto filter, but not as good as the filters I had already. One of my favourite filters is the Z-Tron on the B3n btw!

This is a very useful post from Talkbass:

Helix Auto Filter Model Quick Start
It seems that the Filters in the HX have been leaving a taste of disappointment for some, and the Auto Filter in particular seems to vex people a bit. However, if you spend some time getting to know it, the Auto Filter has some serious horsepower for envelope filter goodness. It has become my go-to filter after owning/trying 38 envelope filters, and it dethroned my trusty Proton V2 (#28 on the list) that was king of the hill until I got the HXFX.

Here's a quick crash course in the settings for the Helix Auto Filter, which will hopefully help you with your envelope filter goals. It's understandably easy to pick one of the other filter models that has more user friendly controls, but for my taste, they aren't as good as the AF. If you spend the time to get to know the Auto Filter model, you can really dial in the filter sound you want with pretty surgical precision.

Hope this helps! Please keep in mind that this is based on a sample size of one dude with one opinion. This post is just meant to help those that want to explore this particular Helix model get started. If the Auto Filter isn't for you, your opinion is still valid. 

5sg.

Controls
Mode:
 Low, Band or High pass
- Low pass works best for bass in my opinion, as it allows full low end through the filter. High Pass functions much like a high pass filter (as in frequency, not envelope filter). It cuts all the low end out at a certain preset frequency range. Band pass is somewhere in between the two settings.
FltGain: Think of it similarly to a preamp gain knob on an amp. Gain setting raises the level of the signal before it passes through the filter, and will eventually go into clipping.
Filter Q: A resonance control of sorts. Higher settings will get a more bubbly sound.
Sens: Sensitivity to playing dynamics
Attack: How fast the filter opens
Decay: How fast the filter closes
Frequency: Adjusts the frequency where the filter starts
FrDpth: Frequency range of the filter
Directn: Up or Down
Mix: Blend between dry and filter
Level: much like a master volume knob. Some settings will cause a perceived loss in volume, so you can compensate by upping the level with this control to maintain unity volume, or boost/cut volume to taste.

Steps to getting the sound you want
All those controls are pretty interdependent, so you'll have to go back and forth between settings to really dial in the Auto Filter. But here's some starting tips:

The primary key to getting the sound you want out of the Auto Filter is how you have the Attack and Decay times set.
For a filter that opens and closes quickly ON EACH NOTE, faster Attack and Decay times are where you want to be. (This is where I like my filters, see my settings in the attached photo). For a filter that opens quickly and doesn't close until after AN ENTIRE PHRASE instead, you'll want to up the decay time quite a bit. The filter will then open quickly at the beginning, and won't close until you finish playing your series of notes.

EDIT: If you're looking to use the Auto Filter for synth stuff in combo with other effects, you may want to try upping the Attack time for a slower mwuah into the sound.

The next important factor is where you set your frequencies.
Freq sets the bottom frequency, where the filter STARTS affecting the sound. You'll want your Freq setting fairly low for a full range, thick sounding filter. Don't go TOO low though (40-60Hz range), as it starts getting overpoweringly thick. I've found that 120Hz works pretty well, and avoids the "super rumbly" lowest frequencies while still having a good thick sound.

FrDpth sets the top frequency, or where the filter STOPS affecting the signal. Do you like a dark sounding filter? My benchmark is Ain't It The Truth by The Philadelphia Experiment and the FrDpth setting pretty well parked at 4.0kHz. If you like a more quacky, Bootsy Collins-ish, Mutron style filter, you'll want to up this. If I need that kind of sound, I crank the setting way up, in the 8.0-10.0kHz range.

My most common adjustment
Sensitivity is highly dependent on how hot the signal is coming into the filter, and also on your play style. It's not uncommon for me to make adjustments to this setting every time I power up my board, particularly when I change basses. Some basses have hotter output than others, which the Sensitivity control can compensate for.

Using a Compressor
Running a compressor before the Auto Filter (or any filter, for that matter) will help you get/keep a consistent, predictable, and repeatable filter sound. Give it a try and compare, if you have a spare block in your signal path. My Helix preference so far is the Deluxe Comp if I run the Effects by itself, but I run a Darkglass Super Symmetry before my HXFX when it's set up on my board (which has been 98% of the time).

Other Pro Tips
- Depending on settings, a bit of a level boost above unity can help the Auto Filter cut into the mix better. I'm not talking a lot, or you'll make the sound engineer panic.
- On the flip side, a bit of a level cut can help you blend a little better. Again, not talking about a lot. My go to settings include a -0.8dB cut, which seems to work really well for blending with the band.
- I usually run my Auto Filter with a 90% mix so I have just a little bit better definition, keeping just a hint of the actual bass sound in my filter.
- If you're using a bass with an active EQ, experiment with making EQ adjustments to affect the filter sound. Works great for making changes on the fly during a gig. Turn up the Mid and/or High knob (depending on the EQ your bass has) for more quack. Dial back the Highs or Tone for a darker, more dubby sound (the filter won't open as much).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2