Why become a member? ×

NBD - what the hell did I just buy?

BreadBin

5 minutes ago, bassfan said:

I like it... looks good! 👍🏻

I can't take the credit - I bought it like that. It had spent years in a kitchen so was covered in grime. I cleaned it thoroughly, did a fret job on it, new strings and a new jack socket, set it up and it's great!

I'd happily sell it though - I have way too many but am not very good at getting rid of them!

12 minutes ago, BreadBin said:

I can't take the credit - I bought it like that. It had spent years in a kitchen so was covered in grime. I cleaned it thoroughly, did a fret job on it, new strings and a new jack socket, set it up and it's great!

I'd happily sell it though - I have way too many but am not very good at getting rid of them!

Lucky you found it then! I’d be happy to buy it if I wasn’t getting rid of gear.... 😂

38 minutes ago, BreadBin said:

It's a Peavey with a 'custom' paintjob - plays fantastic, worth bugger all!

It's a Peavey Zephyr. Cracking bass,gets the Americans all in a tizzy cause it's a European only model 😎

Edited by kodiakblair
spelling mistake
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, kodiakblair said:

It's a Peavey Zephyr. Cracking bass,gets the Americans all in a tizzy cause it's a Euriopean only model 😎

You're not helping! 

I think I just decided to keep it - I scraped off some of the dulux and it's quite nice underneath :)

2 minutes ago, BreadBin said:

You're not helping! 

I think I just decided to keep it - I scraped off some of the dulux and it's quite nice underneath :)

Have you got one of the flamed maple tops under the paint ? Really pretty with flamed maple 😃😎

I went for gold hardware (on advice of ex-friend),active preamp and Warman jazzbar pickups

Ereks Zephyr.jpg

Zephyr Web.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kodiakblair said:

It's a Peavey Zephyr. Cracking bass,gets the Americans all in a tizzy cause it's a European only model 😎

Are you certain of this @kodiakblair? I have been digging (googling!) and I think it's more likely an International series.

As much as I hate to disagree with the Peavey oracle!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BreadBin said:

Are you certain of this @kodiakblair? I have been digging (googling!) and I think it's more likely an International series.

As much as I hate to disagree with the Peavey oracle!

Forgot about the through body stringing. 

Where's that fella whispering "remember thou art mortal" when I need him 😆

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
Guest WilliamV

My first bass, although not like the one on topic here, was a Kay. It cost $89.00 back in 1975 or 1976. Which was a fair amount of cash. I was 15 at the time.
Giving away my age here...

Blurry crap photo, but what can I say. A scan of an old Kodak Instamatic photo.

Me and First Bass.jpg

@WilliamV - don't worry about giving your age away..... you are in good company ;) 
Was that bass a Kay? In my first "proper" band (i.e. the one that decided on a name, and actually learned to play a few songs, & do some gigs before disbanding) our guitarist had a 6 string which looked very similar.... That was a Satellite - awful thing that was too, and not improved by the home paint job.... finished in Emulsion! lol

Guest WilliamV
4 hours ago, Marc S said:

@WilliamV - Was that bass a Kay? 

If you mean the one I am holding; Yes, it was. It was a "Tulip" and had a round bronze plate with a K on the headstock. I think it was called Tulip either because of the body shape or the design on the pick guard.
Stock photo of one here:

Kay Tulip Bass-0.jpg

1 hour ago, WilliamV said:

If you mean the one I am holding; Yes, it was. It was a "Tulip" and had a round bronze plate with a K on the headstock. I think it was called Tulip either because of the body shape or the design on the pick guard.
Stock photo of one here:

Kay Tulip Bass-0.jpg

Thanks for posting that @WilliamV - I don't think I ever saw a bass of that design & brand.
Definitely the same shape as my ex-bandmates old guitar though..... Of course, it could be that they were made in the same factory? Or perhaps with the same cheapo templates, and / or tooling. Oh to be that young, and have the choice of quality instruments in the budget range now.....

EDIT: That said, there was also some quality stuff around then too, coming out of Japan
Plus, another pal had a Satellite Les Paul guitar, and that was pretty good.... definitely not a ply neck

Edited by Marc S

No idea how I missed this thread first time around. Guitars & basses like these - for want of a better word, tat - aren't really my thing but they're associated with many of the same manufacturers as the MIJ stuff I am into, so I've picked up the odd bit of info here & there.

Very few of these budget Kay-branded instruments are Japanese, but there tends to be an assumption that every funny looking 60s & 70s guitar is MIJ. They're pretty much all from Taiwan, and products of a factory established there in the mid 60s by Kawai/Teisco. These are probably all early 70s instruments, and some designs (including the Tulip) are near-identical to the earlier MIJ Teiscos.

The strip-ply neck is pretty common on 60s & early 70s MIJ guitars & the technique is very common on products from the Taiwanese Kawai factory. It's a way of avoiding warping common on single-pece necks made from available unseasoned woods.

• Thanks 1

Guest WilliamV
6 hours ago, Bassassin said:

Guitars & basses like these - for want of a better word, tat - aren't really my thing

Not actually as you called it "tat". Also not nice to call peoples' guitars "tat". Near as bad as negatively criticising someone over which motorcycle brand they choose to ride.

https://reverb.com/uk/item/2095365-kay-shortscale-tulip-bass-early-seventies-sunburst

10 hours ago, WilliamV said:

Not actually as you called it "tat". Also not nice to call peoples' guitars "tat". Near as bad as negatively criticising someone over which motorcycle brand they choose to ride.

https://reverb.com/uk/item/2095365-kay-shortscale-tulip-bass-early-seventies-sunburst

But they are tat.

No-one back in the 70s bought these instruments because they really wanted this particular guitar or bass. They bought them because they were all they could afford, and if the terrible quality and lack of playability didn't put them off playing for life, they were unceremoniously dumped as soon as they could afford something better.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, WilliamV said:

You seem to be in the US - is it possible that that term has a less pejorative meaning here in the UK?  I don’t think @Bassassin meant to offend 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, WilliamV said:

People pay that sort of money for them? 😮

I guess its true that something that is old has value regardless of what it is.

I understand people collecting old quirky things, for interest etc, like buying an old Lada or something. It is interesting because it is quirky and old, not because it is actually something worth having in its own right.