Why become a member? ×

NBD - what the hell did I just buy?

BreadBin

Just picked this up, does anyone have any idea what it is?! Any clues as to it's value other than not very much? It's an old Kay obviously given the logo on the pickplate and the body is plywood but other than that I have very little idea... 

DSC_0008.JPG

DSC_0007.JPG

• Like 2

Thanks for the info - it's clearly a budget instrument but it plays ok - the action is a bit high and the strings sound about 30 years old but it's actually not bad! Truss rod still works too. It's light, and I now know how old it is. :)

DSC_0009.JPG

• Like 1

My first 'real' bass was a Kay from Woolworths, with a truly dreadful 15W 'Audition' amp and cab, too. The action was OK if you could afford a taxi from the strings to the fretboard... which I couldn't at the time. Still, it's nice to have these instruments, if only to make you realise just how far we've come with budget basses!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My first bass was also a Kay. A really terrible almost-Rick-copy-type-thing
It was utterly, utterly terrible, and I've seen a few for sale on a well known auction site, at really inflated prices - I mean £200 - £300
If I found one for about £2 or £3 I might pick it up, just for a trip down memory lane, and to ad fuel to my garden bonfire ;)

Discreet is quite right, budget instruments these days are streets ahead of the Kay type stuff that was around years ago
EDIT: Of course your Kay bass may be much better than the one I had.
I'm not suggesting you burn it - who knows what was in the paint back then?

Edited by Marc S

5 minutes ago, Marc S said:

I'm not suggesting you burn it - who knows what was in the paint back then?

Quite, Health and Safety. Or do I mean Health & Efficiency..? Anyway, the safest way to dispose of a Kay bass is to bury it (not in your own garden, obvs) or leave it in the boot of your car until you can drive to the coast and hurl it into the sea. If you're pressed for time and really can't stand the damn thing, wait until it's dark and throw it into next door's garden, preferably at that bloody plastic flamingo you don't like. Done!

Edited by discreet
  • Haha 3

Har thanks all! Don't get me wrong - it's not my new gigging bass but given the (extremely) low expectations I had it's not that bad. I paid wall art money for it so that's where it will probably stay, unless I specifically need a proper vintage tone for a recording or somesuch. 

4 minutes ago, BreadBin said:

...it's not that bad. I paid wall art money for it so that's where it will probably stay, unless I specifically need a proper vintage tone for a recording or somesuch. 

And don't forget, Bonfire Night is coming up soon... just sayin'...

• Haha 3

:) Ditto!

33 minutes ago, discreet said:

My first 'real' bass was a Kay from Woolworths, with a truly dreadful 15W 'Audition' amp and cab, too. The action was OK if you could afford a taxi from the strings to the fretboard... which I couldn't at the time. Still, it's nice to have these instruments, if only to make you realise just how far we've come with budget basses!

Ditto!

A few years back now :)

Don savages bass.jpg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Is that a public image t shirt 😀

Yes it is. That was 79 and Wobble was King for me. That was our first gig at the local youth club, only started playing bass a few weeks before.  Remember it like yesterday! We only knew 3 songs Public Image , pretty Vacant and a dodgy version of White riot. We played each song about 3 times until nearly everyone had left. Our drummer was good tho :)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Highfox said:

Yes it is. That was 79 and Wobble was King for me. That was our first gig at the local youth club, only started playing bass a few weeks before.  Remember it like yesterday! We only knew 3 songs Public Image , pretty Vacant and a dodgy version of White riot. We played each song about 3 times until nearly everyone had left. Our drummer was good tho :)

That’s great   Only asked because I was 14 and just bought my first bass  and i remember playing public image and exodus, Bob Marley 👍

• Like 2