Why become a member? ×

Is this a scam?

Timmynumbers

I’m currently selling some gear on Gumtree. Had a message from a guy making me a good offer, I message him back accepting the offer on the understanding he can collect the gear from me. He messages me back, stating that he is an overseas buyer and he will organise the shipping, sends me a link to a shipping company website based in Hungary. He tells me the courier driver will pay me cash when he collects. I’ve never heard of that before, planning on calling the shipping company tomorrow to ask them if this something that they do. He also sends me a link this website, showing verbositive feedback from others on here that he has bought stuff from in the same circumstances, I have searched his name on here and it does come up with results but can’t find the posts he has sent me a link for.

am I right to be suspicious?

thanks

I had that when I sold one of my basses on here, exactly the same thing, guy coming over with a case, take the bass, pay the money.

Exactly that happened, a guy turned up with absolutely no english skills, but gave the money and took the bass, drove off in a full transit with a trailer, all good.. aparently it costs about £10-20 to get a bass sent from the uk to Hungary 

Sold a rig to a polish lad through here the same way, he sent a bloke in a Mercedes van who had a motorcycle, a washing machine and some guitars in the back.

Apparently, the pound was so weak, he had a roaring trade in driving over to the UK to collect eBay purchases etc.

paid in cash - never heard from the guy again.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

just wanted everyone who has replied to my original post to know;

the transaction with Alex went absolutely seamlessly, despite my reservations. It was just such a different way of doing things. And a way in which I am totally unfamiliar, being from the UK lol!! 

It seems that this way of doing things is so normal in some EU countries other than UK, and I had no bed to worry.

Thanks Alex, so glad you are so pleased with your purchase, wish you all the best.

Timmynumbers 👍

• Like 2