Why become a member? ×

Reaper Help please. Using FX when recording and playback

Thunderpaws

Hi. Complete newby to recording here. Just have my kit set up and have recorded a quick four track. 

On my bass track I can’t hear any playback when I have FX turned on but it’s there when FX turned off. (Helian bass) 

On my other tracks I can’t hear the FX when recording the track but they are all there when I play back. 

Confused! Not for the last time either. 

Any suggestions? 

I have only just started using Reaper myself, and someone with more experience could have a much better answer for you, but have you checked the input and output levels on the bass effect?  If the input or output are turned down when you turn the effect on you will effectively mute the track.

Not sure about the other problem, hopefully someone else can help with that one.

IN Reaper you apply FX either to playback or whilst recording in two separate places.

The FX button on the track that is most obvious is the playback FX.

The recording FX are got to via a right click of the record button if memory serves. You will get a serious latency hit if you go that route (hint, don't do it unless you have a super fast machine and a very very serious interface, its not worth it)

1 hour ago, 51m0n said:

IN Reaper you apply FX either to playback or whilst recording in two separate places.

The FX button on the track that is most obvious is the playback FX.

The recording FX are got to via a right click of the record button if memory serves. You will get a serious latency hit if you go that route (hint, don't do it unless you have a super fast machine and a very very serious interface, its not worth it)

Wow, I've been using (modestly...) Reaper for several years now, and had never come across this way of adding Fx to a track..! (The 'right click' is on the 'Track' 'recording armed' button, by the way, not the 'Transport' record button...) It just highlights the utility of reading the very extensive manual(s), maybe several times..!  I've just tried it out, recording two tracks of my bass, the first with a Boogex amp preset, the second with an Ozone reverb preset. No apparent latency, though, on my i5 PC, or, at least, nothing that disturbed my playing to the metronome. Other Fx, or bunging in a whole lot more, could change that though, I suppose.
On the other hand, I'm not sure why one would want to 'bake in' Fx in this way. It's true that I'm rather a drummer; bass players may have different ways of doing stuff.
Still, it's an insight, and very useful to know. Thanks for the tip; another string to my bow when composing, so it's all good..! :i-m_so_happy:

Edited by Dad3353

29 minutes ago, Thunderpaws said:

Brilliant. I’ll have a look later. For bass I don’t need fx when recording a track but laying an electric guitar down I think it’ll be more useful, to get the feel of what I’m playing at the time. 

No idea why my bass track is muting when I turn on the fx for playback. 

Hey if you need any more help with everything Reaper, just subscribe to the channel "ReaperMania" in Youtube. Everything is organized in playlists.