Why become a member? ×

Spandau Ballet bass rig

Graham

3 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Since AFAICS only one of the heads is DI'd (the one on the top right) and none of the speakers are mic'd up it's all a bit pointless. 

True, I guess it's what makes him happy and gives him the onstage sound he likes..............of course it'll turn out he's on in-ears and can only hear the monitor feed anyway

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Graham said:

True, I guess it's what makes him happy and gives him the onstage sound he likes..............of course it'll turn out he's on in-ears and can only hear the monitor feed anyway

And even if he isn't using IEM, from my experience, on all but the tiniest of stages with the most rudimentary vocals only monitoring systems, I could only ever hear what was coming out of my rig (which although not as massive as the one pictured was plenty big enough - two 4 x10 cabs fed from a 1kW amp) when I was standing directly in front of it and significantly closer to it than I was to the monitor wedges.

Two 8x10s, 2x15s and three amps? If I was gigging those places and didn't have to lift any of it (tbh, I wouldn't even want to lift the Wals 😁) I'd do exactly the same. Maybe with another 8x10 to replace the 2x15s... 😀

I once had a walk round Tour Supplies with my pal who works there, and it was a great fantasy strolling up and down the aisles of 810s, 412s, 215s, and allll the good heads (DB751s, SVTs, etc, etc) thinking "I'd have one of those, one of those and one..no, two of those..." 😀

And then I'd use my in-ears...now that's killing rock'n roll without killing rock'n roll... 

Edited by Muzz

12 hours ago, Jus Lukin said:

Are you guys kidding? I thought we lived for this shit!

Of course he doesn't need to. Of course I'll never need to. Would I like to? Ferk yeah!

Would he like to? Clearly! And why thefck not?

I would. Would you?

If I had a road crew to move it all for me and was playing in a band where having an impressive looking backline was part of the stage show then I probably would. Otherwise I really can't see the point. Also I don't really see Spandau Ballet as being a wall of amps rock n roll kind of band.

44 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

If it's worth doing, then it's worth overdoing.

And it certainly is overdone, since AFAICS nothing other than the bass, the phase 90 (when it is switched on) and maybe the amp A (depending on  where in the amp signal path the DI feed is coming from) will be making any contribution to the FoH sound. If the schematic is correct, he can't even be using amp switch since as soon as he switches from amp A to the Amp B+C combination there will no longer be any feed to the PA.

Are there any photos of Martin Kemp from the tour where he is using this gig so we can see if he's using IEM?