Why become a member? ×

Spandau Ballet bass rig

Graham

1 hour ago, BigRedX said:

If I had a road crew to move it all for me and was playing in a band where having an impressive looking backline was part of the stage show then I probably would. Otherwise I really can't see the point. Also I don't really see Spandau Ballet as being a wall of amps rock n roll kind of band.

And it certainly is overdone, since AFAICS nothing other than the bass, the phase 90 (when it is switched on) and maybe the amp A (depending on  where in the amp signal path the DI feed is coming from) will be making any contribution to the FoH sound. If the schematic is correct, he can't even be using amp switch since as soon as he switches from amp A to the Amp B+C combination there will no longer be any feed to the PA.

Are there any photos of Martin Kemp from the tour where he is using this gig so we can see if he's using IEM?

We don't even know if any of it was plugged in.

Probably got a Sansamp back stage.

Those can't be the latest tour pics as Tony Hadley is no longer singing with them according to the Spandau Ballet web site.

And even if he's not using IEM from my experience of playing on big stages (and they look like big stages) you need to be directly in front and within a couple of metres of your rig to able to hear it over the sound of the PA monitors.

10 hours ago, fleabag said:

Blimey guvs, if that vid on Kemps bass is the true tone of his rig, count me out. What a distorted racket.

I reckon it's the mic on the Gopro that's distorting, possibly something to do with the mahoosive bass rig it's in front of.

• Like 3

I think it looks great, if I had the transport and roadies required I’d have something similar tho have to admit the only gigs I (seldom) do where such a rig could be used provide the back-lines anyway. But my large Kemp style rig would be 2 x Ashdown ABM600s with 2 matching 810s.  Oh for regular gigs that could warrant it.

• Like 2

On ‎19‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 12:01, fretmeister said:

The green on that strat is lovely.

Is it an old Clapton model?

Could well be a Clapton Strat body in 7-Up green, although can't see the EC signature on the headstock . Eric would definitely not entertain a roller nut either 😄

27 minutes ago, jonno1981 said:

I think it's a strat plus. Judging by the lace sensors and the roller nut. I think the clapton strats have a signature that's pretty identifiable on the headstock. 

I agree, although don’t remember them in that colour - looks like what became known as 7-Up green but Fender called it Candy Green I believe. Still, nice colour IMO!

• Like 2