Why become a member? ×

Hard case for small amplifier heads (Mesa D800+ here, but others too)

mcnach

Looking for ways to better protect my amplifier when being loaded in the van with everything else... I came across this plastic case for around £22.

https://cpc.farnell.com/unbranded/17051n-079-gpb/plastic-case-515x415x135-black/dp/SG33316

170-51N-Black-768x768.jpg

They come in various other sizes, and colours... I went for the black one. It has two layers of foam inside, and I bought an additional 6cm thick block of foam, with precut squares, to allow perfect fit of anything else you want to put in there. Total £34.

It arrived today. First impression is good. Not the sturdiest thing (hinges and catches will not last a lifetime), but considering the light-weight of these amplifiers, I think it's a good match. Very light too. It'll fit the amp, cables... and there'll probably be space for a bit more.

Pictures to follow...

Edited by mcnach
  • Like 1

Well, it works. It's already been on a trip with one of my bands, protecting my amplifier in the back of the minibus surrounded by various speakers, combos, assorted PA equipment and drumkit, cases... 

What I like:

VERY light-weight, very easy to fit in the amplifier and cables, nothing moves, nothing rattles, enough foam all around to absorb the energy of a drop, and the plastic is rigid enough to protect from hits. The foam is very easy to cut to size.

What I don't like:

Not the most durable. I am sure it will last as long as I am reasonably careful. The hinges look a little exposed so it's not something I'd like to throw about. It's no match to a Pelican case... but neither is the cost. I carry my amp myself, and I load/unload the van so I am happy it'll be ok. It's been ok with far less protection than this... 

The latches close solidly because of the 6cm foam block. Without it they could open too easily by accident. It's important that there's enough resistance from the foam inside. Even then, if this were to be handled by others, I'd probably put a velcro tie or something on the handle to prevent accidental opening. It's VERY unlikely that it can open... but not impossible.

The foam is ok, but I had originally planned to cut another cavity for the cables on the side... however I felt the amp would not be as solidly held in place, so I decided against it. Power cable just sits there, and the speaker cables under a false bottom under the amp. 

So far, so good. But I think eventually I'll find another case and use this for assorted cables etc.

20181018_105746.jpg?dl=1

20181018_105801.jpg?dl=1

20181018_105815.jpg?dl=1

20181018_105830.jpg?dl=1

Edited by mcnach