Why become a member? ×

Band Lighting

police squad

Not strictly bass related but,

I'd like to update my lights.

I already have LED, 4 on a bar things, (Equinox. Very good) but I would to go to just two single, flat LED cans. One for each side, probably velcroed to the PA cabs.

Any pointers to what is good and very bright.

Thanks Basschatters

Not cans but Thomann do a twin pack in a case of LED bars, really bright. Do all the usual sound to light, fade, DMX stuff or just set them to a colour and forget. They do different colours at the same time if you want. Lay them down or put them on stands. Just over £100, Stairville I think. I'll try and find them. 

We have these....

https://m.thomann.de/gb/adj_vbar_pak.htm £117 the pair

They're metal and about 2 foot long each. Remote included along with the bag. Perfect for zip tying/velcroing to a PA speaker stand to light from either side. We use them on the floor in front of us though. All sorts of built in programs, sound active and DMX too.

preview.jpg

43375287_1485087108291266_64527663387534

Edited by Mudpup

8 hours ago, Mudpup said:

We have these....

https://m.thomann.de/gb/adj_vbar_pak.htm £117 the pair

They're metal and about 2 foot long each. Remote included along with the bag. Perfect for zip tying/velcroing to a PA speaker stand to light from either side. We use them on the floor in front of us though. All sorts of built in programs, sound active and DMX too.

preview.jpg

43375287_1485087108291266_64527663387534

Mmmmm I like those, might be just right to replace our aging and semi knackered Equinox's

We were the same as you, we used to use 2 x 4 T bars (equinox) and they were great,  but quite heavy and a bit of a pain to carry around.

In the end we we just use 4 of these 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sound-DMX-Active-RGB-LED-PAR-Stage-Effect-Lights-Spotlight-Disco-DJ-Party-Lamp/283146598440?hash=item41ecda3828:g:pWsAAOSwvktadVc~:rk:8:pf:0

£10 a pop, really basic fade in fade out colourwash, clamp them to the sides of the PA speakers and behind the drummer, haze machine to go with 'em and we're good to go down the dog and duck

they've lasted 3 years and over 100 gigs so far, I just chuck them in the leads box!

These might be bit better though  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/72W-36LED-RGB-Stage-Par-Light-DMX512-Flat-Lamp-Club-Bar-DJ-Disco-Party-Lighting/222969671827?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D52945%26meid%3D1c89d96e319c48bbb722ec7bf287ec6b%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D173263032567%26itm%3D222969671827&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Image may contain: one or more people, people playing musical instruments and people on stage

Edited by skidder652003
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, skidder652003 said:

We were the same as you, we used to use 2 x 4 T bars (equinox) and they were great,  but quite heavy and a bit of a pain to carry around.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sound-DMX-Active-RGB-LED-PAR-Stage-Effect-Lights-Spotlight-Disco-DJ-Party-Lamp/283146598440?hash=item41ecda3828:g:pWsAAOSwvktadVc~:rk:8:pf:0

£10 a pop, really basic fade in fade out colourwash, clamp them to the sides of the PA speakers and behind the drummer, haze machine to go with 'em and we're good to go down the dog and duck

they've lasted 3 years and over 100 gigs so far, I just chuck them in the leads box!

These might be bit better though  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/72W-36LED-RGB-Stage-Par-Light-DMX512-Flat-Lamp-Club-Bar-DJ-Disco-Party-Lighting/222969671827?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D52945%26meid%3D1c89d96e319c48bbb722ec7bf287ec6b%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D173263032567%26itm%3D222969671827&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Image may contain: one or more people, people playing musical instruments and people on stage

perfect.

I've ordered one of the other ones you posted, to see what they're like.

Thanks for your help folks

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, police squad said:

perfect.

I've ordered one of the other ones you posted, to see what they're like.

Thanks for your help folks

Can we have an update when you get them please ? I quite fancy them but wondering if they are bright enough

cheers

Les

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

https://www.astounded.com/shop/american-dj-profile-panel-rgba-led-colour-wash-panel/

Depends how much you want to pay i guess but these seem ok for the money.

There are higher powered ones but they are £235 each

Dave

it's amazing what's out there these days.

I'm a bit of a dinosaur when it comes to this stuff. I haven't learned about DMX etc, so it's really helpful to ask other people and see what they come up with

1 hour ago, Happy Jack said:

The most important thing to know about DMX is how to avoid having anything to do with it.

Unless you're playing the O2 I suppose.

I have a full DMX system including desk. Its complete overkill on my part as you say. All you really need is some slow/fast change or sound to light units. I use my desk mainly to control effects lighting ie lasers, projectors, scanners and smoke machines but some of the effects lights can be operated remotely with a battery operated hand control. Same with most smoke machines they will have a remote controller either with cable or battery operated hand held.

I bought it back in 2011 and was really into visuals for the band. Also gave my wife something to do when she was at the gigs. :laugh1:

Its a lot of reading to get your head round how the DMX actually works plus programming outputs to faders or having one fader control various faders to set scenes but as i said its all total overkill. 

Have to say my wife was always being asked about the lighting desk as other bands didn't use them. Either that or they were chatting her up :laugh1::laugh1:

You can set the various normal LED lights with one controlling the others but what i did find that different manufacturers use slightly different channels for certain things and it all gets quite confusing very quickly. 

KEEP IT AS SIMPLE AS POSSIBLE would be my advice

Dave

9 hours ago, skidder652003 said:

WOW they're a great buy.

Edited by dmccombe7

4 hours ago, skidder652003 said:

I bought the stagg headbanger version of these that were a fair bit more at £99 each but I have to say moving heads are a great idea. If these give a similar output to mine then you will be happy. Plenty enough to illuminate the stage and the moving colour is better than par cans, but ideally you would have both. These heads can be linked using an xlr too so they mirror each other which looks great either side of stage

8 hours ago, Les said:

Can we have an update when you get them please ? I quite fancy them but wondering if they are bright enough

cheers

Les

Think we've got very similar if not the same ones Les. They're ok for a colour wash but I wouldn't use them on their own. I've got a couple of more expensive brighter ones that I use for main lighting. You're welcome to pop by to check them out if we're in your neck of the woods - we're at the bowling green in Dec.

I use an O clamp with some speaker pole mounted to the ceiling mount screw holes on the top of our PA tops. Then I can just hang the par cans off them.

• Like 2

Time for a story, sorry :D

Many years ago lighting was expensive and I was broke. For our band I kibbled some lighting together, ahem health and what? Anyway I had two kitchen spotlight units with three different coloured halogen spots in each, a strobe attached to each and a smoke machine. It was all wired through a homemade footswitch to turn it all on and off. The smoke machine was tucked behind my massively over the top bass rig consisting of a bi-amped pair of 15's and a pair of 12's, aiming behind the drummer. When we did Motorheads Overkill I would stomp on the switch turning off the coloured lights and turning the smoke and strobes on when it got to all the false endings, if you know the song you'll know when I mean. At one gig I stomped enthusiastically on the switch at the correct moment which immediately fell to pieces leaving the smoke machine and strobe permanently on only able to be turned off at the wall. The drummer slowly disappeared from sight, then the guitarist and I and it stayed on for the remainder of the song until the stage area and crowd were completely lost in the fog and blinded by massive white strobes bouncing off the cloud. Oh how we all laughed, well apart from the drummer who was having some sort of epileptic asthma attack :D

Edited by Maude
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6