Why become a member? ×

Squire Jaguar P bass sound?

Newfoundfreedom

So as the title suggests.

Does the Jaguar give you "that P bass" sound?

I confess, I've never actually owned a P bass, and I accept I'm probably in the minority here, but I've never been a fan of Fender guitars. I just think they're so damned ugly!

However, having been on this forum for a while now, there seems to be massive love for the P bass (and also probably equally the Jazz bass) sound.  So to anyone who has one, does the Jaguar give you some sort of approximation of the P,  and as it's a PJ configuration, the Jazz bass sound? Or does it fall short on both accounts? Now I don't expect miracles, and I fully accept that it's a Squier and not a full on vintage fender P, but I've got the chance of picking one up at a ridiculous price (equivalent of £130 UK) and they seem to be fairly well received. So how does it compare (everything being relative of course)

Can I get a taste of that much sort after P bass sound from a cheap Jag? 

Edited by Newfoundfreedom

If it has the P bass split pickup in the traditional P bass position and there's nothing radical or different about the way the pickups have been made, then to all practical intents and purposes it will sound like a P bass. It probably won't feel like one, as the body shape is different. Also I'm not sure what the necks are like on these. In my opinion a P bass should have a nut width of at least 42mm and preferably 44.5mm, and a board radius of 7.25" for a 'genuine' P bass experience...

• Like 2

As Hooky_lowdown asks; Is it the long, or short scale version of the Jag? - As they will both sound different

And as discreet says; If a bass has a typical split pickup, in the position a P bass normally has its' pickup - then it will sound like a P bass
But the quality and / or brand of the pickup will also effect the sound. I've heard a Squier Jag, fitted with decent pickups and it sounded superb

Personally, I like the P/J pickup arrangement - You can solo the neck pickup, for a P bass sound,
and you can add a bit of Jazz "honk" to taste, if and when you want - it's not quite the same as a bass with 2 Jazz pickups, but IMO it's a flexible arrangement, with nice tonal options
It's not for everyone, of course. But at that sort of price, well you can afford to experiment with some pickups and even restore the bass back to its' original state if you don't like it or want something else
..... and you'd probably get back what you paid for the bass too

• Like 2

Not a great picture, but you get the gist. 

I don't actually "need" another bass, but at that price I couldn't resist. I actually prefer playing short scale, and I prefer the look of the Jaguar SS, but as I already own two shorties, and as I said, I've never owned a P bass, I thought it would be good to play around with and get a different vibe. 

The reviews are good and they seem to be quite versatile and really good value for money, even new. 

At 130 bucks I think it's a no brainer. 

IMG_20181016_125421.png

2 hours ago, discreet said:

Definitely a no-brainer. If you don't like it, you can sell it to me for £99. :biggrin:

Actually Newfoundfreedom - you can sell it to Mr Discreet for £139 ;)

Glad you pulled the trigger. I think if you hadn't - you may have regretted letting it slip through your fingers.
At least this way, you can have a play around with it and sell it on if you don't like it, or you can't get the sound you're after
It's funny, but some Squier VM pickups seem really good, others are OK (But from the VM series, they're always adequate or better, I find)
You could trawl the BC marketplace for some second-hand pickups to try, and start experimenting :)

I know what you mean re your comment too - I also think the SS Jaguar looks great. It seems the SS proportions work well - perhaps the body shape just suits the shorter neck?
PS. None of us actually "needs" another bass - but you are now a member of the BC Subgroup "Too many basses, but perfectly happy for it to stay that way / searching for another bass anyway gang" :)

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Pea Turgh said:

Love the jag shape. One of these days i’ll continue my build!

Re: number of basses - I had 2 before I joined Basschat, will be up to 4 in two weeks (and 5 if I get my derrière in to gear with the jag build)!

5? you wait just a little while Pea Turgh....  you wait ;)
Would like to see that Jag build - is there a thread?