Why become a member? ×

Hubba Hubba!

Cicero

58 minutes ago, cheddatom said:

Not how I'd have played the tune. A 5 string makes it way easier to play the fast runs without going up and down the neck. Great bass though

She looks to have learned it on a 4er - she doesn't play the B string once. Nice playing tho :)

• Like 1

Pretty girls and music, eh?

I haven't watched the video, but I'm sure she's very good. I've recently been having a smoking hot girl coming down to a blues night, both beautiful and vivacious, was an OK singer but she got lots of praise from punters because, well, you know.

She was really keen to sing Uptown Funk, which I told her wasn't going to happen as it is a blues night after all. Boy did the mood change- stropped out, I got it in the neck, and she has never returned. I believe that may have been the first time a middle age man said 'no' to her.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, cheddatom said:

I don't want to out myself as a Snowflake SJW but I can't help wondering what I'd think if I was a young female bass player reading this thread. 

I was wondering the same thing. 

In my short tenure here I'm not sure I've seen many female bass players post on Bass chat (maybe 1) which is a shame - it would be great to have more diversity, I have a perception that female bass players are much more prominent than they are with other instruments.

Edited by PJ-Bassist

24 minutes ago, BreadBin said:

If we can manage to keep the comments about her bass playing it might encourage more female players to join.

Jus' sayin'

(I really like a Yamaha too)

Precisely.

Firstly, I am not responsible for what others post.

Secondly, had people clicked on this post and seen a video of a guy playing the exact same guitar, there would be no accusations, nor any suggestions that the post was 'misogynist'. The assumption would have been that the guitar was the focus of attention, along with the playing.

How many GAS posts exist on this forum where there is the insinuation of attraction or desire over an instrument?

Not a single person would think 'Maybe he is in fact objectifying the guy in the video' 🙄 

The only factor being considered here is that it just happens to be a young woman featured in the video. Does that alone make it 'misogynist'? The fact that there's a young woman in a video means the post must be about her and her appearance, and not about the instrument or the playing?

And even if there were to be acknowledgement as to whether she is, or is not, attractive, is attraction now also misogynist? It is wrong to be attracted to a member of the opposite sex who also happens to share in one of your favourite things, whilst doing it so well? That's another debate altogether, and not one I'm not getting into, but doesn't seem to me to fit in with the concept of 'misogynism'

Anyhow, it's a post featuring a video of a girl playing one of my favorite tunes on a rather nice bass.

Enjoy.

• Like 1

And I thought naively that British people had a great sense of humour.

What to me is really misogynistic (this is the right word) is the term "female". That really hurts my senses.

The girl is playing the tune very well, with the accents very precisely put, she has a wonderful smile, and furthermore she is having great fun.

What else would you ask ?

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, lowdown said:

That the Bassist in question could swing the semi quavers like Nate does ? (And I think Nate's Bass is nicer as well).

:D

Hubba hubba!

Check out that bassist's rack ya'll

(His rack mounted gear obviously)

:)

Edited by PJ-Bassist
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, Jus Lukin said:

I believe that may have been the first time a middle age man said 'no' to her.

Yeah, was in a band with a singer like this...3 lads fawning over her.

And me...and the other singer totally unimpressed.

We quit on the same day 😂

• Haha 1

There's some corking mistakes in that:

1. Markbass amp and cab..

2. 5 string bass

3. Too many notes

4. Too many slides

5. Too much smiling - no pouty constipated "bass face"

6. Although seated, too much moving about - not enough "rigid bass player scared stiff" pose

7. Too much groove pushing and pulling - needs far more rigidity and lack of expression

8. Vertical blinds - in 2018??

9. Should have oiled that fretboard

10. Not enough clank/mwah/thump/bounce/slap/twang*

*delete as appropriate

• Haha 2

• ped locked this topic