Why become a member? ×

Bugera BXD12

Sweeneythebass

For that money? You'd struggle to get much better. Of course you might score something second hand for similar £££ but new? I doubt it.

You'll attract a lot of negative feedback because anything connected with Behringer always does but I've used their stuff for years and years. Solid, reliable, unpretentious and affordable.

As far as the wattage goes my 2000w Bugera might otherwise be described as an 880w or a 1000w depending how you like to measure these things so this is likely between 400 and 500 watts - in other words plenty. 

If you buy it please let us know how it sounds.

• Like 1

The Bugera amps are fairly well made from what I've seen personally and read. Often based on other manufactures designs. Sometimes they have stated there power ratings not in standard rms. The combo in question probably is 250 or so watts. 

It's probably a decent enough combo. However it lacks an extension speaker out which is often handy if you need to get more volume. 

This is kind of interesting, Music Group (Behringer) are gradually accumulating a lot of other companies. Bugera, Turbosound, TC, Tannoy, Klark Technic, Midas and so on. A lot of these companies have good reputations for quality products and Behringer basically don't. In practice the reliability of Behringer has been improving and was always patchy, some of their stuff has always been reliable. For me the big downfall has been in after sales, I recently had to repair a Behringer stage monitor which failed just out of warranty, it was the devil's own job to track down spares. 

It isn't a 1000W amp. The 2000W Bugera Veyron https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/331141-nad-bugera-veyron-bv1001m/ turns out to be a 500W amp so expect this to be a 250W amp. The Turbosound speaker may be a Turbosound but as this is also owned by Behringer it is their right to call any speaker a 'Turbosound' though they may be using the Turbosound technology. In any case 12" speakers are limited by their nature to around 300W maximum so you know the amp won't be more powerful than that. The controls look like the Veyron BV100 so they've used the front end of that amp. Maybe they've just used the same board but tweaked the DSP to make sure the power doesn't blow the speaker.

So this is probably a 250W 1x12, music group have no technical details on the Bugera website other than the bonkers advertising claims. This is an incredibly cheap combo, you've effectively got the speaker thrown in for nothing. The Behringer I repaired was really well put together for the price though the cab was a bit heavy, made of MDF. I'd hazard a guess that this is the same. Reliability for Behringer is getting better. I've no idea if they use the same after sales for Bugera as for Behringer if so you'd better hope it's one of the good ones. 

It's going to be interesting which way Music Group go in the next couple of years. According to Wikipedia they are retaining the European staff at most of the companies they are taking over and they may give them some independence in design and development, but I've noticed the Midas 18 digital mixer comes in an identical case to the Behringer XR18 with the same specifications at a roughly £100 premium. It may have detailed improvements but nothing in their literature details any.

It's great value for money, it'd be really interesting to get it next to the Fender Rumble 100 or one of the other 12" combos like the Hartke KB12 both of which are more expensive. If it is basically the Veyron with a Turbosound speaker it could be a real bargain but if it sounds too good to be true then it probably is.

When I was looking at Power amps I watched a video where a guy tested a Behringer 1000w amp (the Nuke something or other?) and it peaked at 750-800watts, so it seems the inflated wattages are notorious! 

I once owned a behringer pedal, it was awful but I’ve heard good things about the Bugera amps. 

Edited by Sweeneythebass

Amplifier manufacturers will sometimes specify the output power at a higher level of THD in order to allow them to advertise a higher output power. A clipped sinusoidal output waveform with 10% THD has an average output power 28% higher than an undistorted sine wave output from the same amplifier.

PO(RMS)(THD = 10%) = 1.28 • PO(RMS)(THD = 1%)

Source: https://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1274915&page_number=2

On 15/10/2018 at 20:09, Sweeneythebass said:

Are these any good?

£190 on Amazon now 

Bugera BXD12 Bass Amplifier https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00Z0IFUYS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_-toXBbGFNCDYY

Never tried one... but for that money and knowing some of the other stuff they and Behringer do... I doubt it'll be terrible. I have owned and played a few Behringer bass amplifiers and they all did the job pretty well. Bugera is supposed to be a little better, if anything.

Just don't pay much attention to the 1000W thing in the blurb. It isn't. But it doesn't matter. It's probably a 100-250W combo, which is very reasonable for the format. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/10/2018 at 22:05, Phil Starr said:

This is kind of interesting, Music Group (Behringer) are gradually accumulating a lot of other companies. Bugera, Turbosound, TC, Tannoy, Klark Technic, Midas and so on. A lot of these companies have good reputations for quality products and Behringer basically don't. In practice the reliability of Behringer has been improving and was always patchy, some of their stuff has always been reliable. For me the big downfall has been in after sales, I recently had to repair a Behringer stage monitor which failed just out of warranty, it was the devil's own job to track down spares. 

It isn't a 1000W amp. The 2000W Bugera Veyron https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/331141-nad-bugera-veyron-bv1001m/ turns out to be a 500W amp so expect this to be a 250W amp. The Turbosound speaker may be a Turbosound but as this is also owned by Behringer it is their right to call any speaker a 'Turbosound' though they may be using the Turbosound technology. In any case 12" speakers are limited by their nature to around 300W maximum so you know the amp won't be more powerful than that. The controls look like the Veyron BV100 so they've used the front end of that amp. Maybe they've just used the same board but tweaked the DSP to make sure the power doesn't blow the speaker.

So this is probably a 250W 1x12, music group have no technical details on the Bugera website other than the bonkers advertising claims. This is an incredibly cheap combo, you've effectively got the speaker thrown in for nothing. The Behringer I repaired was really well put together for the price though the cab was a bit heavy, made of MDF. I'd hazard a guess that this is the same. Reliability for Behringer is getting better. I've no idea if they use the same after sales for Bugera as for Behringer if so you'd better hope it's one of the good ones. 

It's going to be interesting which way Music Group go in the next couple of years. According to Wikipedia they are retaining the European staff at most of the companies they are taking over and they may give them some independence in design and development, but I've noticed the Midas 18 digital mixer comes in an identical case to the Behringer XR18 with the same specifications at a roughly £100 premium. It may have detailed improvements but nothing in their literature details any.

It's great value for money, it'd be really interesting to get it next to the Fender Rumble 100 or one of the other 12" combos like the Hartke KB12 both of which are more expensive. If it is basically the Veyron with a Turbosound speaker it could be a real bargain but if it sounds too good to be true then it probably is.

Re the MR18.... there are better pre's in the Midas version to the Behri.... plus you now get a 10 year warranty on Midas products.  Behri dropped prices earlier in the month accross most of their CREA range so there is a bigger price difference now.

The BV amps are actually designs taken from the TC RH range.... obviously not the same specs but the tech is from TC. ;o)

Edited by crez5150

Behringer themselves claim to use Midas pre's in their XR18, they could be different designs of course or built with higher spec components or even offering different after sales service standards, a 10 year guarantee would be worth the difference in price especially for fully pro use. 

Behringer themselves produce an amazing variety of boards for gear with basically similar specs but it would make sense for them to use technical expertise from  the companies they are acquiring. I was under the impression that the BV amps came out before Music Group took over TC but maybe I have that wrong.

Maybe they'll take over Gibson, now bringing that sort of management to Gibson would be interesting :)

• Like 1