Why become a member? ×

*SOLD* Vigier Arpege II Walnut
£1300

ped

I've only really got space for three basses in my life and despite how fantastic this bass is, it doesn't get used enough. It took me years to find and eventually I imported it from Canada at great expense!

So here we have a very unusual and rare Vigier Arpege (the Arpege shape have pickups slightly further apart than the Passion range, so it could be considered more of a 'Jazz bass' sort out sound). Being a series II, it benefits from a full carbon neck. There's no truss rod to worry about, just a dead straight (believe me - I've bought and sold enough to know a good one!) neck with thru body construction. The body is beautiful Walnut with a gloss lacquer.

Everything is original, because I really like the built in pre-amp although many you see 'used' have been replaced. It's hard to find one that's been left alone!

So from the top - Schaller tuners, zero fret, 21 fret neck and frets I would say are in 80% condition. Very little buzz with a super super low action, which I guess most people would raise a bit when playing. With it this low, there's a slight buzz on the G string on the 13th fret, that's it - but we're talking painted on strings so it shows how straight and true the neck is. 

It has Marvel strap locks fitted, and the strap side will be supplied. Two superb Benedetti single coil pickups with the signature 'tabletop' shape. These are unbelievable pickups, really powerful and clean. The tabletop shape also means they are a really nice playing surface. They are held in with four sprung mounted threaded allen bolts for fine adjustment.

The electronics are really interesting! Around this time Vigier were experimenting with all sorts from modular preamps to programmable memory settings. This has the excellent Q filter pre-amp, which means you have the following:

Pickup selector switch, series/parallel switch, Q filter selection sweep, Q filter boost/cut, volume (pull boost), tone. The tone control works on both pickups but when the rear is selected it must be up full. Go figure. A later bass I had the tone control worked only on the rear pickup. Just one of the fancy idiosyncratic features of these instruments. 

Both pickups on full blast it's a tone feast - snappy, fat, hifi tone. With the low action a bit of clank is never far away and rick-esque tones can be had. One of my fave sounds is the rear pickup soloed with a bit of a boost from the Q filter in the lower mids. It's the tightest choppy nasal funk sound ever. Digging in sounds so smooth and 'party' that sometimes I just sit and play the same groove for hours!

The finish as you can see is a bit worn in places; there's a few cracks in the varnish but none of which have grown in my ownership. The one where the fingerboard meets the body is common and seen on all these basses. I've stuck a big round transparent sticker on it to prevent my nail clipping it when slapping. The area around the controls has 'bubbled' slightly, for want of a better word - again, seen on all of these but structurally sound with no ill effect. 

The bridge is thru-body and a bit of a beast - easy to adjust and 18mm spacing. The shape of the body is just my favourite of all my instruments. It's contoured really nicely, balances perfectly and has lots of little details that you have to notice close up.

So, I'm sad to have to list it but changes are afoot here at ped towers and I'm keeping a 4,5 and piccolo bass. I'll want your word that if you sell it on again you'll let me know first, though!!

Please ask if you need any other details. I'm in York and really flexible with delivery - I can meet you in London, Oxford, along the M1... halfway to anywhere, really. Much rather that than post it. 

Comes with a fully fitted, highly sought after case. Serial number is 093 making it a 1986 bass (15th December)> Very unusual to see in the gloss finish!

Weight - 4.4kg approx (kitchen scale)

IMG_1063.jpeg

IMG_1064.jpeg

IMG_1439.jpeg

28958747093_fcfd92f2e4_o.jpg

29548137696_dc2c0b4447_o.jpg

IMG_1187.jpeg

IMG_1186.jpeg

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, ped said:

5.8kg approx.

Ow wow, I was expecting something lower than 4 kg, but 5.8 kg is quite heavy. Unusual for a Vigier, but must be the walnut body that weighs the most.

Please tell me it was a typo and it 3.8 kg. 😋

Edited by Aero71

Just now, Aero71 said:

Ow wow, I was expecting something lower than 4 kg, but 5.8 kg is quite heavy. Unusual for a Vigier, but must be the walnut body that weighs the most.

Well I think I got it right (weighed on bathroom scales) but it certainly doesn't feel unusually heavy! Maybe I'll try on something else...

QUACK! NOOO! Can't be true! In such a good condition with the case. Where is my money when I need it most? After she would walk in to my life I wouldn't need anything anymore.

(Sure, a Delta-metal fretless and a Nautilus and a wide neck 5 (6-str -> 5?). And maybe a...)

Seriously, if money would be no object, she would be on her way to me. I love her colors and neck. If she didn't fit me exactly, I could saw and file some ribs off and...

• Like 1

If anyone wants to come and have a look/play even if you aren’t going to buy then feel free, always happy to show the bass off! 

Looks like it might be heading back to mainland Europe unless anyone wants it before the weekend?

Olease also check out my fretless 5 for sale. I’ve had a delta metal fretless and much prefer this series 1 type. It has an extremely wide range of sounds and looks stunning.