Why become a member? ×

Recommend a combo pls

roger

Hi all, I need to get a combo for a Bowie tribute band I've joined, playing a P bass and would probably need at least 250W, I have a budget of 300 so S/H would be best, I have a ampeg ba112 but it's only 75W, love the look of the markbass stuff btw. 

Your knowledge would be greatly appreciated 

roger

5 minutes ago, roger said:

Hummm good questions, pubs I guess, lightweight pretty important, how do you means 'what's the drummer like?' Excuse my ignorance, I haven't hugged for a looooong time😀

Awwww, c'mere, buddy.

(hugs)

There, now that's out of the way - my question about the drummer was how much self control they have.

If your drummer is loud and you've got no PA support, then you're going to need some really beefy equipment to keep up with them. You'll probably need to compromise on something, either your budget, or your lightweight requirement. Old Peavey gear is robust and loud, but heavy.

However if your drummer knows how to keep their volume under control, and/or you've got decent PA support, then you'd probably find that you can use something like a Fender Rumble or TC Electronic BG250 combo, which will be much lighter.

Whatever you do, remember that it's not all about the amp wattage - the speakers matter too.

S.P.

• Haha 1

Make sure you check out the DI out specifically unless you intend using a separate DI box.

Fender Rumbles are good value a second hand Markbass combo is worth considering. I've had a CMD 121P and a CMD 102P both excellent with great DI outs. 

I have had two T.C Electronic combos despite being fine little combos the DI out was noisy and unusable on both. No ground lift and considerable mains hum.

If weight is not an issue you could do a lot worse than one of the bigger Hartke combos. The tiltback facility is very useful too. 

Good Hunting. 

Cant go wrong with a Rumble 500. Light, powerful and fosters easy to get a great sound. Ideal for a bit of P bass goodness. It puts out about 300 watts on it`s own, add another cab to get yer 500 watts. There is a monster thread on Talkbass about these.

Fosters?? Damm you profanity filter! :crazy:

Edited by jezzaboy
  • Haha 1